The Great Big Progress Thread for 2014 Applications

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
PsyJason

Re: The Great Big Progress Thread for 2014 Applications

Post by PsyJason » Sat May 10, 2014 9:45 am

Congrats to all the Blues, well done guys :)

mag1calstar

Post by mag1calstar » Sat May 10, 2014 10:22 am

UCL
Essex
UEL
RHUL

Lets hope it just takes one... good luck to all the others waiting on UEL.

chaz

Post by chaz » Sat May 10, 2014 10:23 am

Hi Everyone,
I have been meaning to post this for a while but always sneaking a peak when at work so thought best wait till had a bit of time!

Previous Applications (know some people have posted this and I found it quite helpful and reassuring):

Prior to this care home working, worked in hospital, voluntary work with adults with learning disabilities and completed an MSc in Health Psychology which I applied to clinical while on this.
2007/8:
Southampton
Oxford
I cant rem the other 2 and they haven't been archived in the clearing house!!

Dont know what I was thinking applying at this time as really no where near having experience/understanding to get on.
Completed a 2 year course which included a couple of years practical experience with some links with clinical psychologists (although not alot).

2010/11:
Southampton
Surrey (said I wasn't eligible to sit test as increased marks to 65+ I had 64% undergrad and 64% MSc)
Royal Holloway
UCL

Had a gap when completing PGDip in CBT and have decided again Clinical Psych is what I really want to do and hoped that now I had a much better understanding of what it involved, experience and skills etc.

So my current results for this year are:
Southampton (Thought Id have a really good chance at getting interview here as much more experience than when I previously got interview and application 10x better in being self reflective etc but just shows you how much things change either based on what they want or the applicants they received)
Surrey
Herts - number 8 (technically 7 based on previous posts)
Salomons - number 20

Not very hopeful as quite far down for both. Although Salomons said they have reached 20 before and I have been told Herts generally have a lot of movement so fingers and toes crossed lots of people are having lots of offers to different places.

Once I know for sure and if don't get a place I am definitely focused on applying again. Previously felt completely out of reach but getting closer and hopefully have an even better application this year (and now that I know what to expect in these interviews hopefully I wont be sooo anxious that I talk super fast at everyone - it is a talent I have to verbal vomit everything in my head out in one breath!). Also be good to get feedback from Herts in June.
Amf66 wrote:Aww bless you LDworker. Haha, you are not alone, I'm doing the exact same thing, refreshing emails, checking the forum, wondering whether to contact the admin team to see if the list has shuffled (even though its day 2) hehehe. But your totally right. Its just a waiting game, they said in their letter they would contact us straight away if a place became avaliable. Good luck to all you oranges! And bloody well done the blue team :-) Stella effort from everyone :-)
Amf66 This is me too!
I have had to try and restrict myself to only checking the forum twice a day (max) as I don't really think number 2 and 3 and 5, 6 and 7 on the reserve and all log on and say they dont want their spaces. - But I can dream! I think you have a really good chance at number 4 though and would be surprised if it didn't come down this far. But it is just a bit of pot luck now.

A big congratulations to everyone who did get offers. To get a reserve place I am still chuffed as there was sooo many experienced people at the interviews (just a shame not more spaces for us all!)

Ok - Longest post in the world ! :)

sunshine1985

Post by sunshine1985 » Sat May 10, 2014 12:08 pm

Just a little update from me:

Essex
Salomons
Herts
UEL

9th on reserve for UEL. Has anyone else has had news from UEL today?

Dee-n

Post by Dee-n » Sat May 10, 2014 12:59 pm

This is my fourth time applying (applying since leaving Uni) and this was my first year with interviews so I am delighted with:

UCL
UEL
Royal Holloway
Salomons

Amf66

Post by Amf66 » Sat May 10, 2014 1:41 pm

A huge congrats to everyone in blue and making the change from orange-green.

I've posted on the 'reserve place for a course' thread but it's great to hear that courses do go down their reserves :-) any so many blues are coming through. Do not fear Chaz, hang in their lovely, I'm definitely hearing that the Uni's surrounding London tend to have a fair bit of movement as people wait for the London offers before finalising their choices and if they're already based their, are often keen to stay. And some london ones are still interviewing/about to start.

I'm keeping my pinkies, arms, legs and toes crossed for a lot of movement Chaz. Be great for us all to get on. EEEKKKKK :-) I think I'm gonna try and make contact with Herts Wednesday and see what the state of play is, unless anyone has an update? Get on the night nurse and practice a wee bit of mindfulness hahahaha

Amf66

Post by Amf66 » Sat May 10, 2014 1:48 pm

I'm clearly colour blind (light blue to dark blue, bless.lol)

chaz

Post by chaz » Sun May 11, 2014 9:45 am

Don't know if people have seen the post by Lev under 'Reserve places for a course' thread:
"On Thursday the Herts course admin told me that when they have interviewed early in past years (as they have done this year), there was a considerable amount of reserve list movement..."

Plus Randalls post for Herts cohort 2014 has not had any replies yet, which hopefully means everyone is still waiting for other unis or trying to make a decision. So this is even more hope!!! :D Although Randall I hope you get some friends soon and LDworker/Amf66 and myself are with you in there!

Hope your night nurse and Mindfulness is doing the trick Amf66 :D I think I should join you with the mindfulness but despite knowing it will make me feel much better I have opted for the active approach - gym, painting (the house - wish I could say it was a piece of artwork) and my house is super tidy at the moment! There are some positives of being on the reserve that I am becoming super productive plus a bit of exposure to the uncertainty is never a bad thing I suppose.

Congrats Dee-n! Two blues is amazing. I am seeing quite a few people who seem to be 4th time lucky!

murray

Post by murray » Sun May 11, 2014 12:31 pm

Delighted to say:
IoP
RHUL
Salomons
UEL -> UEL

Second year applying, so excited! Well done to all the blues, sure the reserve lists are going to start seriously shifting around at the end of this week. Good luck to all those waiting to hear!

SarahFK

Post by SarahFK » Sun May 11, 2014 1:31 pm

Just wanted to say a big congrats to all the blues so far and fingers crossed to all those waiting hear on a reserve!
We're nearing the last slog of interviews now, so best wishes to all who still have theirs to come - and especially good luck the Lancaster lot, looking forward to meeting some of you in the week, I'm getting all excitement butterflies now, I'll be bouncing before long ;)

Good luck all :)
“Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.” - Morticia Addams

cleather

Post by cleather » Sun May 11, 2014 2:33 pm

Well done all you blues and strength and patience for those still waiting.
I just wanted to shout a hearty hurrah out for oldlady - great news, fantastic result , well done you!

Lev

Post by Lev » Sun May 11, 2014 5:45 pm

Thanks Chaz.
Good luck to all reserve listers (especially those who have interviews elsewhere ;-) )

sunshine1985

Post by sunshine1985 » Sun May 11, 2014 6:26 pm

murray wrote:Delighted to say:
IoP
RHUL
Salomons
UEL -> UEL

Second year applying, so excited! Well done to all the blues, sure the reserve lists are going to start seriously shifting around at the end of this week. Good luck to all those waiting to hear!
Well done murray! Nice to see you only need one!

5years

Post by 5years » Mon May 12, 2014 10:47 am

I've been lurking on this forum for 5 years... hoping my first post will inspire some hope for those facing disappointment this year :) My results since 2010:
UCL
Solomons
Essex
IOP

UCL --> UCL
Solomons --> Salomons
Essex
Hertfordshire --> Hertfordshire

UCL --> UCL
UEL --> UEL
Solomons
Hertfordshire

UCL
UEL --> UEL
Royal Holloway
Manchester

UCL --> UCL
UEL --> UEL
Royal Holloway
Hertfordshire --> Hertfordshire!!!!!!!!!!

I've been walking around in a bit of a daze since I heard... can't.... quite... believe... it...

jalpababla

Post by jalpababla » Mon May 12, 2014 11:52 am

Hi 5years, Welcome to the forum. I just wanted to say thank you for your first post and sharing your journey.

A few other have done so too so, thank you to all those who have reminded me that I may not be faulty. There's hope after the 3rd time too. Since I received my rejection letter from UEL I've been rather down. It was 3rd application this year. Still intend on applying next year so spending time reflecting, weighing up my options and eagerly awaiting for feedback from UEL.

A few have also called themselves a 'oldie' or 'mature'. How old do I need to fit into this category?
X