Applying for 2015

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
redheadgingerbread

Re: Applying for 2015

Post by redheadgingerbread » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:17 pm

LucyM wrote:Has everyone seen the updated selection criteria for UEL? They seem to have made their selection criteria a bit higher than last year. It makes sense considering how many applications they receive.
Does anyone have the link for the new UEL criteria? When I checked their website, it mentions the need for a 2.1 but I couldn't see anything about it asking for a high 2.1 which other have mentioned here?

moony

Post by moony » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:30 am

From the clearing house website:

"Minimum selection requirements

Funding arrangements for the programme are such that applications are only accepted from UK/EU students who are entitled to work full-time in the UK for the duration of the programme (three years). This means that applicants must have full UK or EU residency and not require a work permit; to be considered for entry to the course in September 2015, they must have been resident in the UK or EU from 1 September 2012 to 31 August 2015 for a purpose that is not wholly or mainly related to receiving full-time education during any part of this three-year period.

Applicants must be acceptable to the university as doctoral-level (postgraduate) research students. Applicants must hold an honours degree of at least a high 2:1 class (overall grade of 65% or greater) which is acceptable to the British Psychological Society as conferring Graduate Basis for Chartered Membership. Applicants with a conversion diploma/MSc must have a high 2:1 class or better in their first degree.

Applicants must also demonstrate appropriate commitment and realistic evaluation of what training and practice involve. Accordingly, they must have gained at least 12 months full-time paid employment in a relevant post at the time of the application. Relevant posts mean those which give applicants a strong awareness of, and experience in, the practice of clinical psychology and supervision in the NHS or related settings.

Applicants whose primary language is not English, and/or whose university qualifications were not taught and examined in English, must provide evidence of adequate English language facility: overall IELTS grade of at least 7.0 with a minimum of 6.5 in each component.

The programme employs online testing procedures to evaluate applicants' critical thinking skills and capacity for making judgments in complex situations. Applicants who meet the other essential criteria (above) must also achieve scores on these procedures that place them among the upper 75th percentile. Applicants will be required to re-sit the testing procedures in person (eg on the day of interview) to confirm their scores.

Applicants must have the commitment and ability to undertake advanced study and clinical psychology practice at the professional doctorate level. ccordingly, clinical and academic references must confirm excellent academic, research and clinical skills and the potential to succeed on the programme."
"The brain is a monstrous, beautiful mess." ~ W. Allman Apprentices of Wonder: Inside the Neural Network Revolution

Randomswirls
Team Member

Post by Randomswirls » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:34 am

I went to a UEL talk and they now want a high 2:1, they've increased the amount of experience from 6 months to a year and they also want evidence of research experience outside of uni e.g. Conducting audits etc.

You can email the administrator and she will send you details of their criteria.

Mikel Arteta

Post by Mikel Arteta » Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:09 pm

I think it's a bit of academic snobbery the 'high 2:1' business, though I suppose their arguement would be that they want people who can handle the academic content (maybe they think you need that level of degree to do so) and maybe it's to do help them short-list with high numbers applying and this way they can get rid of quite a few before even reading forms. As for upping the amount of experience, I'm all for that and infact I think it should be two years. Most people who do get on have between two -five years. People need to remember it's not like a trainee nurse post. You're a paid band 6 clinician and carry a complex caseload, on top of learning new complex therapeutic models, atending teaching, doing several assignments, so without decent experience people would sink and clients would not get the experience they deserve. I look back and am glad I didn't get on earlier, I was so much better equipped when I did get on. More is more in this case :wink:
Blackbird singing in the dead of night, take these broken wings and learn to fly, all your life
you were only waiting for this moment to arise
:)

redheadgingerbread

Post by redheadgingerbread » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:33 pm

Thanks guys! I did email the administrator and they wouldn't answer me as they said they are too inundated with queries to be able to give a direct response.

This is where I saw it asking for a 2.1 (and I thought it would be up-to-date based on the date):
http://www.uel.ac.uk/wwwmedia/schools/p ... -2014).pdf

However, as some of you have clarified that they want a high 2.1 I ought to give it a miss!

Randomswirls
Team Member

Post by Randomswirls » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:26 am

It's definitely a high 2:1 now I can't seem to copy the PDF across but if you want a copy I can email you what I was sent?

mindyourhead

Post by mindyourhead » Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:55 pm

I sent off my application last week! It's a relief to not have to act on it until next year at least. Although my supervisor is currently writing my reference so I'm on my best behaviour.

I've applied to:

Manchester
IoP
Oxford
Bath

Going for the big cheeses, first-time applicant optimism.
The mind is its own place, and in itself can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven.

firegal
Team Member

Post by firegal » Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:59 pm

Definitely no leaving the office until I've emailed the personal statement to the couple of people I've asked to read over it...and entered the reference details on the application so they can start! (thanks for the reminder mindyourhead!)

Application number 4 and writing it never gets easier! :lol:

mindyourhead

Post by mindyourhead » Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:06 pm

firegal wrote:Definitely no leaving the office until I've emailed the personal statement to the couple of people I've asked to read over it...and entered the reference details on the application so they can start! (thanks for the reminder mindyourhead!)

Application number 4 and writing it never gets easier! :lol:
No worries, good luck with it! If you want an extra pair of eyes from someone in the same boat I'm happy to look it over (now that it won't make me want to edit mine!)
The mind is its own place, and in itself can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven.

Jam

Post by Jam » Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:45 pm

Bit of a predicament for me here, as I was planning on applying for the UEL course, but my degree specifically does not come in high medium or low.

The grading system from my University has no way of being translated into a percentage. It's simply a 2.1 I've been told.
With the uncertainty, I think I might give UEL a miss.
"Learn about intentions, for their importance is greater than the importance of actions"

moony

Post by moony » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:36 am

It's 99% likely that I'll be starting new job towards the end of December (though not absolutely guaranteed) would it be worthwhile putting it on the application form, as that'll be submitted before I'm due to start.

It's a part time AP role in the NHS so it seems like it would be worth including! Would it be ok to list it under the experience section with a Dec start date?
"The brain is a monstrous, beautiful mess." ~ W. Allman Apprentices of Wonder: Inside the Neural Network Revolution

kiora

Post by kiora » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:45 am

Moony- what about adding it into the section for any other relevant information? (I'm pretty sure there's a section for that, isn't there)

I really need to face this form again and figure out some type of reflective statement.... I must've learnt something surely, so why does my brain freeze every time I try to put it into words!...

moony

Post by moony » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:47 am

Thanks kiora, I think that's what I'll do. It doesn't feel quite right listing it under the experience section when I haven't actually experienced it yet!

Apologies if this has already been asked, but what's the procedure for reviewing application forms this year? That is if it's happening at all, I realise it's a massive effort for those offering to read through them all.

Thanks!

Mikel Arteta

Post by Mikel Arteta » Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:15 pm

Moony, I think Kiora's suggestion is a good one. For advice on writing the form I have done a Wiki, here's the link:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=17956

Right, holiday time; Southern California and Las Vegas here I come :)

Cheers - Mikel
Blackbird singing in the dead of night, take these broken wings and learn to fly, all your life
you were only waiting for this moment to arise
:)

Randomswirls
Team Member

Post by Randomswirls » Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:42 pm

I think one of the Patreon memberships includes application form being read?