Applying for 2015

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
Volta

Re: Applying for 2015

Post by Volta » Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:49 pm

Applying for the first time too this year!

My friend and I have set our own little deadline for the 30th of November and I'm only halfway through (well I did complete it, but turned out to be quite bad so my supervisor has put me back on the case). My supervisor has also already received the reference request email :cyclops:

I'm not nervous at all, but I wonder whether that's because I don't think I'll get further then applying this year. Who knows, the nerves might hit me right around the time course centres send out interview dates.

Good luck everyone :)

Rapid

Post by Rapid » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:27 pm

Volta wrote:Applying for the first time too this year!

I'm not nervous at all, but I wonder whether that's because I don't think I'll get further then applying this year. Who knows, the nerves might hit me right around the time course centres send out interview dates.

Good luck everyone :)
I'm in the same boat as you Volta, I don't see a reason to be nervous. Just going to fill out the form as honestly as I can and see what happens. I don't have any AP experience (just HAP & HCA) but I've never applied for a postgraduate course so it should be interesting! :) At the end of the day, you can only talk about what you've done and why it would be useful when doing the course.

marsupialmama

Post by marsupialmama » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:47 pm

Gosh, I must be loosing my mind. I have written down in my diary that the applications close on the 3rd of December, but just noticed it is the 2nd! That would have been a bit of a crisis if I left it to the last minute (or what I thought it was the last minute...)

moony

Post by moony » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:05 pm

Having such a dilemma picking a course for my fourth and final place!

Out of random curiosity, why are we limited to a selection of four? Is it just to stop people applying to every single course?
I move that we suggest it's upped to a limit of six applications. Just to save the headaches. :lol:
"The brain is a monstrous, beautiful mess." ~ W. Allman Apprentices of Wonder: Inside the Neural Network Revolution

marsupialmama

Post by marsupialmama » Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:13 pm

moony wrote:Having such a dilemma picking a course for my fourth and final place!

Out of random curiosity, why are we limited to a selection of four? Is it just to stop people applying to every single course?
I move that we suggest it's upped to a limit of six applications. Just to save the headaches. :lol:
Oh no, I had my 4 sorted, undergoing this new process, now I can't decide on my 6th!!! :P

Randomswirls
Team Member

Post by Randomswirls » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:46 pm

6 would be easier!!! Can you imagine the figures applying for each course though!!

I've had feedback on my form so now to rewrite it all!

Bubbly

Post by Bubbly » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:48 pm

Just read Lancaster's update on their selection test and selection day procedure, and it has put me off applying there again (had an interview at Lancs earlier this year). They seem to have scrapped the presentation altogether, and now there are role plays with panel members as part of the selection procedure. Also, the abstracts/stats test is now on the actual selection day instead of online. So that's 6 different tasks to compare us all on :shock: Hmmm.

FerryGlide

Post by FerryGlide » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:47 am

They're going for a sort of assessment centre approach, I guess. I can't believe some places still select on the basis of a form and an interview.

RJParker

Post by RJParker » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:30 am

Bubbly wrote:Just read Lancaster's update on their selection test and selection day procedure, and it has put me off applying there again (had an interview at Lancs earlier this year). They seem to have scrapped the presentation altogether, and now there are role plays with panel members as part of the selection procedure. Also, the abstracts/stats test is now on the actual selection day instead of online. So that's 6 different tasks to compare us all on :shock: Hmmm.
The number of 'tasks' is exactly the same - we've just moved things around. The process will actually be simpler/quicker as there is only one panel for each interview candidate to attend. It should be a better experience for candidates and give people more opportunity to show how they meet our competencies - which can only be a good thing for everyone!

Our move to GMA testing as a screening tool is based on the plethora of evidence and literature that it is an excellent predictor of performance in complex job roles - we think it's fair to call clinical psychology complex :D
It might not be familiar or comfortable to some but it is all about ensuring people are fairly assessed and given the opportunity to differentiate themselves while minimising stress.

enid

Post by enid » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:21 pm

First batch of forms have been released to course centres. :)

Randomswirls
Team Member

Post by Randomswirls » Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:41 pm

I'm rewriting my personal statement and have to say I can't wait for this to finally be submitted!

miknatissizpusula

Post by miknatissizpusula » Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:35 pm

I'm still working on the personal statement too! The first draft is so hideous that it is putting me off from doing more work on it. And time is slowly becoming an issue :? Yikes!

Good luck to all other peeps out there who are applying this year.

purpledot

Post by purpledot » Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:20 pm

I'm also rewriting my personal statement, thought I had a half-decent attempt, pity it was over 4500 characters :? Trying to cut it down now... such a small amount of space for an application which could mean so much!

Good luck to everyone :D

Wychelm

Post by Wychelm » Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:39 pm

ack I cant decide if what im writing is ok or a load of rubbish ahahahaha :eye:

egykata

Post by egykata » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:25 pm

I thought I was the only one struggling with rewriting the statement in the last minute :lol: 3011 characters at the moment and still kinda' want to squeeze in 2 sentences :?