Edinburgh Shortlisting Questions

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
alamont17

Edinburgh Shortlisting Questions

Post by alamont17 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:48 pm

Hi everyone, this is my first real post on the forum but I have been keeping an eye on what goes on here throughout the process! Your posts have all been so useful!

I was just wondering whether anyone else had received the email from Edinburgh Uni yesterday regarding the additional shortlisting questions and what people thought of the questions?! Seems harder than the questions on the original form to me! Anyway would love to hear peoples thoughts and best of luck to everyone at the next stage. :)

moony

Re: Edinburgh Shortlisting Questions

Post by moony » Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:22 pm

I got them last night.

The questions are tricky compared to the form, but it seems like they do it to get a better sense of what you've learned from your experiences so I reckon if you reflect you'll be just fine.

A couple of the questions are identical to last year, but the others have got me thinking. Now just need to carve some time out to sit and have a good thing and draft some replies.

I'll check soon, but do you know if there's a word limit for the questions of the top of your head?
"The brain is a monstrous, beautiful mess." ~ W. Allman Apprentices of Wonder: Inside the Neural Network Revolution

kiora

Post by kiora » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:10 pm

i just looked and they are all 250 words max. I had set aside any spare time between now and 14th to prepare for Salomons and now have to get these questions down too, fun fun fun! good luck all :)

marsupialmama

Post by marsupialmama » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:24 pm

Snap, Kiora! To both... good luck with this and thank you for checking word count.
Wondered if it would have a merit to organize a chat for Salomons test to discuss old papers?

bitoffluff

Post by bitoffluff » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:46 pm

Does anyone know if it saves what we've inputted if we go in and out of the survey?

alamont17

Post by alamont17 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:11 am

Good luck you guys with the other test as well! That's a lot to prepare for. Yeah its 250 words for each question and no it doesn't appear to save your responses as I went through and added all of my ratings for areas etc. but when I go back to the link it takes me back to the start of the survey. I'm just working on my questions in a word document and then will go through and enter all the answers. Scary stuff, but as a first time applier it feels good even to get this far!

Soldierwhy

Post by Soldierwhy » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:51 am

Felt proper gutted when I read the first post on here and thought I clearly had been rejected by Edinburgh at the very first hurdle.

Upon checking my spam folder - E-MAIL FOR ME!!

Bugger, I need to do some work now. :)

Good luck everyone.

lolaroxa

Post by lolaroxa » Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:14 pm

bitoffluff wrote:Does anyone know if it saves what we've inputted if we go in and out of the survey?
Unfortunately it does not save in surveymonkey itself. They suggested to prepare a draft in word first (similar to the original application form). :)

GooeyLoo

Post by GooeyLoo » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:41 am

Pardon the paranoia, but did anyone get a confirmation email after they submitted their answers?

I noticed it said we would next hear back shortly after the 13th March, but just triple checking. Don't want to have think I've submitted my answers and preferences when I haven't,

Thanks and good luck Edinburgh people!

AnsweringBell

Post by AnsweringBell » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:20 am

GooeyLoo wrote:Pardon the paranoia, but did anyone get a confirmation email after they submitted their answers?

I noticed it said we would next hear back shortly after the 13th March, but just triple checking. Don't want to have think I've submitted my answers and preferences when I haven't,

Thanks and good luck Edinburgh people!
Last year I got no confirmation - I had the same worries as you though, so I emailed the admin lady just to confirm they'd received it. She was lovely and seemed totally fine with me chasing, so you could always give that a go to make sure :)

Claire2215

Post by Claire2215 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:27 pm

Hi im totally new here and to all of this! I need to get these questions done but I have no idea what they might be looking for. Does anyone have any tips? This is my first year applying.

ell

Post by ell » Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:40 pm

I'm curious/nosy about what these questions actually are (feel free to PM me!), but be aware that courses do not look favourably on the forum being used to discuss applications in great detail, as well as the fact that by discussing your answers you might be helping others into interview slots that you might otherwise have got.

nunnkle

Post by nunnkle » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:51 pm

ell wrote:I'm curious/nosy about what these questions actually are (feel free to PM me!), but be aware that courses do not look favourably on the forum being used to discuss applications in great detail, as well as the fact that by discussing your answers you might be helping others into interview slots that you might otherwise have got.

I'll post the questions to you in a PM. have already sent my answers off. Its basically just further questions about experience etc in a similar style to the main application form really. they also ask for you to rank your NHS boards and any aligned placement preferances at this stage.

I'm surprised they're also trialing the UEL online test at Edinburgh this year although they say you dont have to take it?... interesting.

Good luck to fellow Edinburgh applicants- I wanna know nowwwwwwwww!!! :)

moonbeam

Post by moonbeam » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:10 pm

nunnkle wrote: I'm surprised they're also trialing the UEL online test at Edinburgh this year although they say you dont have to take it?... interesting.
I didn't get the email for this - not even in my junk folder. I'm interested to see what the task is. I might email the course admin to see if she can send me another link. Good luck everyone.

MB
X
There may not always be a solution to the problem, but there is always another perspective...

nunnkle

Post by nunnkle » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:24 pm

The Edinburgh test hasn't been sent out yet, its just mentioned in the extra questions task...not sure if that's what youre referring to. :)