The Great Big Progress Thread for 2015

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
ClaudioV

Re: The Great Big Progress Thread for 2015

Post by ClaudioV » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:36 pm

zainab2015 wrote:Great to see so many users fo rthis site, this gives reassurance for people like me...
I was wondering if anyone has been in touch with UCL or IOP about the process???? :roll:

Good luck everyone and congratulations for those going for interview :)
I am still waiting for UCL as well (also to hear from Royal Holloway and UEL)...
The Unis have got until 13th March to give us feedback so.. I guess we still have a couple of weeks to go :|

moony

Post by moony » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:14 am

Nice start to the week. Email from UCL.

UCL
Oxford
UEL
Edinburgh
"The brain is a monstrous, beautiful mess." ~ W. Allman Apprentices of Wonder: Inside the Neural Network Revolution

ClaudioV

Post by ClaudioV » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:23 am

moony wrote:Nice start to the week. Email from UCL.

UCL
Oxford
UEL
Edinburgh
Oh sorry about that moony... nevertheless still 3 to go! Fingers crossed :wink:

moony

Post by moony » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:34 am

ClaudioV wrote:
moony wrote:Nice start to the week. Email from UCL.

UCL
Oxford
UEL
Edinburgh
Oh sorry about that moony... nevertheless still 3 to go! Fingers crossed :wink:
Thanks! Trying to stay positive. Fingers and toes crossed!
"The brain is a monstrous, beautiful mess." ~ W. Allman Apprentices of Wonder: Inside the Neural Network Revolution

Bagel29

Post by Bagel29 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:31 am

Lovely email this morning...

UCL
Holloway
UEL
UEA

Blossom

Post by Blossom » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:40 am

Nice email this morning

UCL
RHUL
SALOMONS
HERTS.

slightly sad with UCL as I was a reserve last year. 2nd time applying. Hopefully we hear from the rest soon enough

rfdes

Post by rfdes » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:43 am

To echo what Moony, Bagel29 and Blossom said...

Surrey
Birmingham
UCL :(
Royal Holloway

Good luck everyone with a green so far and commiserations for those with reds. Fingers crossed that some good news will be coming your way :)

gabbie

Post by gabbie » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:49 am

Oh, same here..

Salomons
Surrey
Lancaster
UCL

alamont17

Post by alamont17 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:16 am

zainab2015 wrote:Great to see so many users fo rthis site, this gives reassurance for people like me...
I was wondering if anyone has been in touch with UCL or IOP about the process???? :roll:

Good luck everyone and congratulations for those going for interview :)
IOP have said they are hoping to get back to applicants first week in March, so this week with any luck.

Congratulations all the greens so far and sorry for the reds. I'm still waiting to hear back from all of mine!

Good luck everyone!

GreeneyesJS

Post by GreeneyesJS » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:27 am

I am wondering if anyone know when we will hear back from Teesside? I am wondering if they will let the applicants know earlier because their interview week is scheduled a week earlier this year - or it doesn't work like that at all?

Hockeygirl

Post by Hockeygirl » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:48 am

GreeneyesJS wrote:I am wondering if anyone know when we will hear back from Teesside? I am wondering if they will let the applicants know earlier because their interview week is scheduled a week earlier this year - or it doesn't work like that at all?

We had a month to prepare for Teesside last year (ish), so I'm expecting to hear this week. Though saying that it was after Newcastle too, and we haven't heard from them either! So annoying, it's killing me!

butterfly123

Post by butterfly123 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:59 am

GreeneyesJS wrote:I am wondering if anyone know when we will hear back from Teesside? I am wondering if they will let the applicants know earlier because their interview week is scheduled a week earlier this year - or it doesn't work like that at all?
I have a feeling it will be this week too. Its a horrible waiting game!! Fingers crossed for everyone.

Hockeygirl

Post by Hockeygirl » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:01 am

butterfly123 wrote:
I have a feeling it will be this week too. Its a horrible waiting game!! Fingers crossed for everyone.

I just want to know now either way, so I can hit the books or the vodka :wink: And my trainee colleagues aren't helping by telling me about their application horror stories!

Spatch

Post by Spatch » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:49 am

Probably something no one wants to dwell on, but repeating my plea from last year about the value of posting rejections.

While rejection is always unpleasant and and posting it here being potentially exposing, I really do think its helpful that people do this, because otherwise you can easily get a skewed perspective where you only see successes on this thread. In reality the statistics suggest rejection is the experience of the vast the majority of applicants, but this doesn't always show in the progress threads. As a result people can quickly feel like they are the only one not getting anywhere because not-so-good news is often swept under the carpet.

So in the spirit of being given lemons and making lemonade, I would make a plea for people to talk about both good and bad outcomes. CP already a high performance/ perfectionist culture and I feel everyone being more open about rejections can be a positive thing, as it normalises against potential feelings of shame, but also it provides a context that people can follow.

Personally, I found the way that many of the longer term members have posted about ongoing rejections (both pre and post qualified) and how they worked around them, or how it helped them make decisions, is hugely helpful for my own reflections professionally and is enough of an issue that I highlighted it in my book. I do think its a massive issue with the process and people do internalise the failure in isolation rather than see it for what it is, a by-product of terrible numbers.

I know it takes a huge amount of courage to do this, but it really does help.
Shameless plug alert:

Irrelevant Experience: The Secret Diary of an Assistant Psychologist is available at Amazon
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Irrelevant-Expe ... 00EQFE5JW/

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:37 pm

Inspired by Spatches post I thought as fourth applicant I would post my jounrey over the last four years:

2012:
Salomons
Cardiff
Bath
Staffordshire

2013:
Surrey
Salomons
Staffordshire
Hertfordshire

2014:
Staffordshire
Salomons
Surrey
Cov and Warwick

2015:
Cov and Warwick
Salomons
Cardiff
Staffordshire

I dont know if this helps people or not but this is my experience of applications over the years. I have also decided that this year is my last year applying before I turn my hand to something new. For me I can't keep applying year on year, I am holding my boyfriend back in his career as (you can see from my choices) we would be moving for all put one of the course choices I have picked, which means he is not making the next step on his career yet to wait for the outcome. Over the years I have realsied that CP is just part of my life and I have sacrificed alot over the years to persue it, which is why I ahve limited the number of applications I am doing.

Good luck everyone!!!! :D :D