Edinburgh additional questions.

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
moony

Edinburgh additional questions.

Post by moony » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:34 pm

Is it just me, or are they much harder this year?!
"The brain is a monstrous, beautiful mess." ~ W. Allman Apprentices of Wonder: Inside the Neural Network Revolution

ImaginePsych

Re: Edinburgh additional questions.

Post by ImaginePsych » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:50 pm

Hey - I'm not too sure because I didn't apply there last year but just considering the questions now.

I was wondering - if you get past the initial stage (I guess filtering out people who don't meet the basic requirements), are interviews allocated purely on the basis of these additional questions and situational judgement test? Or are the personal statements on the original form used for shortlisting purposes as well?

Sorry to ambush your thread :oops:

Cheers
Imagine

ems38

Post by ems38 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:43 pm

Hello. When I spoke to a supervisor who was a shortlister for Edinburgh last year she spoke about reading through the forms as well as the answers to the questions. Might be wrong though but I think the shortlister would also be interested in your past experience so would need to look at your form too. Hope that helps! :)

Maddy

Post by Maddy » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:46 pm

Hi! I have a question about one of the additional questions (first time poster, first time applying). I am conscious that we may not be allowed to post the exact question but one of them relates to previous experience applying psychological principles. I am applying after having gone down the academic route - currently finishing up my PhD - and, as such, I do not have previous experience applying psychological principles. My patient experience is limited to conducting neuropsychological assessments and recruiting for research studies. In this case, does anyone have advice about how I should approach this question?

kazrw

Post by kazrw » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:25 am

Hi Maddy, I've never applied for Edinburgh but from your post I would assume that the whole research process including recruitment and assessment involved using psychological principles so talk about those! Easier said than done i know!

firegal
Team Member

Post by firegal » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:27 pm

moony wrote:Is it just me, or are they much harder this year?!
yeah, I got a look at the questions a few years ago and thought "oooh, I know just how I'd answer those!".
These ones I'm staring at my word doc like :shock:

moony

Post by moony » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:53 pm

firegal wrote:
moony wrote:Is it just me, or are they much harder this year?!
yeah, I got a look at the questions a few years ago and thought "oooh, I know just how I'd answer those!".
These ones I'm staring at my word doc like :shock:
That emoji sums up my life. ;)
"The brain is a monstrous, beautiful mess." ~ W. Allman Apprentices of Wonder: Inside the Neural Network Revolution

han10

Post by han10 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:26 pm

I'm not a selector, but am a Clinical Psychologist. Maddy's point about how to answer the question - I would remind everyone that the selection process is not about finding those who already have the skills to be a clinical psychologist - but the skills to become and be trained as a clinical psychologist. For that some of it is recognising what skills you have and applying to the questions. If I was to select, it would impress me more someone who showed how x event in their life/work/experience applied psychological principles rather than saying I have completed x number of assessments, formulations etc.

When you think of it in those terms, i.e. showing the skills to become a clinical psychologist - every suitable candidate should be able to draw on some experience - however gathered. That would also show me how reflective an individual is, how they can identify transferable skills etc. etc.

Good luck all applying

Maddy

Post by Maddy » Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:58 pm

Thanks, both, for the advice!

moony

Post by moony » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:37 pm

I'm massively struggling with the last question about research. It seems like it's about four questions rolled into one, and we only have 250 words to answer it!

I'm not looking for info on how other people have answered, just wanted to vent some frustration!

This one's going to take a bit more thinking. Still surprised by how tricky the questions are.

miknatissizpusula

Post by miknatissizpusula » Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:03 pm

I am still struggling as well. I've spent ten days trying to construct, re-construct, delete my answer and start over again. I keep saying to myself "It's only 250 words"; but so far it only made it worse.

Good luck! I think the last question will either make it or break it for me :|

moony

Post by moony » Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:09 pm

Ditto, the other three were hard, but I seem to have developed a complete mental block on this one! I swear, it's too much to answer in 250 words!!

Good luck with yours. I'm already looking forward to the weekend when I can (try to) forget all about these questions!

firegal
Team Member

Post by firegal » Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:39 pm

moony wrote:Ditto, the other three were hard, but I seem to have developed a complete mental block on this one! I swear, it's too much to answer in 250 words!!

Good luck with yours. I'm already looking forward to the weekend when I can (try to) forget all about these questions!

Yup, I initially thought the last question was the one I'd find easiest, but nope!

persephone56

Post by persephone56 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:09 pm

Ugh, I just got back from my honeymoon on Saturday night so I have less than a week to do these extra questions now. Edinburgh is my 4th choice though, so hopefully that will help me relax a bit.

moony

Post by moony » Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:16 pm

Well that's mine gone. Gave them a quick tweak but couldn't stand looking at them anymore.

Now to squeeze in some time to do the online testing before noon on Friday. I think sleep is overrated anyway right> :lol: