UEL Selection tests

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
Als

UEL Selection tests

Post by Als » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:14 pm

Hi all,

Just got an email from UEL about selection tests - I'm sure I read they weren't doing them this year - anyone know what the 3 tests are about? :)

nancycruz

UEL Selection tests

Post by nancycruz » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:23 pm

I did aswell! Was actually wondering whether or not these tests were timed?

Als

Re: UEL Selection tests

Post by Als » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:28 pm

Its says the first one isn't

What a mystery - hoping one of the tests isn't stats! :P

sparklepants

Post by sparklepants » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:16 pm

Hi all.

They are keeping the situational judgement test and this will form part of their selection procedure this year. They are not using raven's matrices or the critical thinking tests - they trialled those last year and found they were not useful for their selection procedure.

They have also said that they want info from us about our percentage mark in our psychology degree. They have clearly said that they are trialling this year and that it will not impact on the selection procedure for us this year.

So no, there are no stats. They assess research abilities in the interview itself through a vignette.

Hope that helps!

Als

Post by Als » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:38 pm

@sparklepants,

Thanks that does help- there are two other tasks apart from this one though (sent later in Feb) unless its all situational judgement..

sparklepants

Post by sparklepants » Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:37 pm

Hmm...interesting. I could have sworn they said they were discontinuing ravens and critical thinking because of concerns that they disadvantaged some categories of applicants. Maybe it's just the ravens they aren't using?

Randomswirls
Team Member

Post by Randomswirls » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:57 pm

I got an email from salomans which spoke about three test including critical thinking and we will be emailed by uel at some point?

Christina83

Post by Christina83 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:21 pm

Hi all,

when were your applications released to the UEL?
Congrats to those of you who got an email so far.

nancycruz

Post by nancycruz » Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:24 am

My courses were released on the January 18th. From what I have heard, as long as you meet the residency requirements UEL sends everybody the link to complete the online tests.

Does anybody have any suggestions on how/ where to do practice questions for the UEL online tests?

nancycruz

Post by nancycruz » Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:24 am

I completed the first of the online tests today - definitely no way to prepare for it although it is based on what YOU would do in the situation. It was a bit tough to decide though when more than one answer made sense.

firegal
Team Member

Post by firegal » Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:26 am

nancycruz wrote:I completed the first of the online tests today - definitely no way to prepare for it although it is based on what YOU would do in the situation. It was a bit tough to decide though when more than one answer made sense.
Drat, that answers my question then, I was wondering if anyone knew of any past papers/practice tests we could use to prepare because I took this one as part of UEL's shortlisting a couple of years ago and HATED it, so was a bit gutted to find that Edinburgh are using the same test this year :(

Ah well, I suppose I'll just have to sit down with a cup of tea, make myself click the link, and get on with it!

Taira87

Post by Taira87 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:52 pm

Hi everyone,

Has anyone who applied to UEL not had the email about tests yet? I hadn't realised they had sent these last week, so a bit worried now as I assumed I met the minimum criteria!

Thanks

nancycruz

Post by nancycruz » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:02 pm

Taira87 wrote:Hi everyone,

Has anyone who applied to UEL not had the email about tests yet? I hadn't realised they had sent these last week, so a bit worried now as I assumed I met the minimum criteria!

Thanks

Maybe they're doing it in batches? Definitely give them a call to ease your anxiety!

Spencerk1983

Post by Spencerk1983 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:33 pm

Hi everyone, I wanted to ask if anyone knows if UEL has already done any selecting before sending out the online tests? Or, more to the point, if I don't fully meet their minimum entry requirements and got the link, does that mean that I might go through all the tests and then still be out of the running?

askeo

Post by askeo » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:14 am

Hi Taira87,

I also didn't receive an e-mail from UEL re: shortlisting tests. So, I emailed them and they emailed me the link straight away and said I should have been sent it last week and that I should check my junk/spam (which I had done and it wasn't there) so quite scary to think I was missed off the send out list! Hope you check with them too as likely something like this happened with you too?