The Great Big Progress Thread for 2016

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
SC54

Re: The Great Big Progress Thread for 2016

Post by SC54 » Tue May 10, 2016 4:19 pm

I'm UEL reserve list too.. Reasonably far down though but it seems like there is a few of us on here that will be able to update each other if we hear anything!

UEA - never got called
Herts
UCL
UEL

Keeping those fingers crossed!

dwrein

Post by dwrein » Tue May 10, 2016 5:48 pm

Well well well. Just as I had written off my potentially final chance at the doctorate I can now say I've been offered a place at UEL!

For a little perspective lets do the history.

2013:
Surrey
UCL
IOPPN

RHUL

2014:
Surrey
UCL
RHUL

IOPPN

2015:
UEL
RHUL
IOPPN

UCL

2016:
RHUL
IOPPN

UCL
UEL

As a repeat offender (multiple interviews, multiple rejections), this year was likely to be my last. I've collected the London set over the years with no success and for some reason UEL came up trumps for me this year. Commiserations for those who have not been successful this year, it took me four bashes at it to try and get on. What I can say I have learnt about this whole process is how I have put it into context and allowed my self to care about other things. And certainly that a certain amount of it boils down to how well you click with the course and those interviewing you.

daisie

Post by daisie » Tue May 10, 2016 6:38 pm

So here it is as of 2016:

2012:
UCL
IoP
UEL
Royal Holloway

2013:
UCL
IoP
UEL
Royal Holloway

2014:
UEL
Salomon's
Hertfordshire
Royal Holloway

2015:
Didn't apply - started a part time MSc

2016:
Salomon's
Surrey
Royal Holloway

UEL

While I suppose I should feel pleased to have made at least some progress this year, I am not offered much hope by being 14 (last) on the reserve list. I applied this year as the first of two remaining attempts, based on the assumption that completing an MSc might affect my prospects. Can't say I'm feeling quite so enthusiastic about that right now!

Instead of getting caught up in that though, I think now it's time for a rather large glass of wine before pondering my next move.

Congratulations to everyone who was offered a place (though I'd be lying if I said I wasn't hoping that 14 of you don't want your place!) and commiserations to those whose number wasn't called this year.

lozb

Post by lozb » Wed May 11, 2016 9:07 am

So far not so good... Trying to stay positive about the next two interviews to go, but it's getting hard to stay motivated after so long!!

UCL---UCL
UEL---UEL
IoPPN
RHL

Hendog

Post by Hendog » Wed May 11, 2016 5:30 pm

Does anybody know when staffordshire are letting people know the outcome of the interviews?

Pinkcrocodile

Post by Pinkcrocodile » Fri May 13, 2016 1:00 pm

Hendog wrote:Does anybody know when staffordshire are letting people know the outcome of the interviews?
Yes I was wondering this too!

Hendog

Post by Hendog » Fri May 13, 2016 1:32 pm

Pinkcrocodile wrote:
Hendog wrote:Does anybody know when staffordshire are letting people know the outcome of the interviews?
From the letter we received about the interviews I think they were interviewing Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday so maybe they are making decisions today but I don't know how they will inform us...

Pinkcrocodile

Post by Pinkcrocodile » Fri May 13, 2016 1:45 pm

Hendog wrote:
Pinkcrocodile wrote:
From the letter we received about the interviews I think they were interviewing Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday so maybe they are making decisions today but I don't know how they will inform us...
Ok cool, thanks Hendog. I didn't actually interview there but I feel the results will affect a reserve list which I'm on :lol:

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Sat May 14, 2016 9:55 am

Dear All,

I only found at 16.00 yesterday (Happy Friday 13th!) but...

South Wales has now become South Wales.

I have accepted a place and cancelled my Interview at IoP...

I shall update the other thread about experiences, qualifications etc.

My first Interview was such a train wreck, it does to show that experience of bad interviews is just as useful!

Good luck to everyone else!
http://thespectrumofabnormality.wordpress.com/

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Sat May 14, 2016 1:33 pm

Marcus wrote:Dear All,

I only found at 16.00 yesterday (Happy Friday 13th!) but...

South Wales has now become South Wales.

I have accepted a place and cancelled my Interview at IoP...

I shall update the other thread about experiences, qualifications etc.

My first Interview was such a train wreck, it does to show that experience of bad interviews is just as useful!

Good luck to everyone else!
Well done!

Ronnie18

Post by Ronnie18 » Mon May 16, 2016 8:53 am

Just to back up the saying that it only takes one....
Exeter
Coventry and Warwick
South Wales
This is my fourth application, first two no interviews, one interview and a reserve place last year and one interview and a place this year. Good luck to everyone else on their journeys :)

benmaccam

Post by benmaccam » Mon May 16, 2016 10:47 am

Does anyone know how long Liverpool take to get back? As far as I know they held interviews last week and finished on the friday 13th.

alexabrown90

Post by alexabrown90 » Mon May 16, 2016 11:09 am

benmaccam wrote:Does anyone know how long Liverpool take to get back? As far as I know they held interviews last week and finished on the friday 13th.
Hi Ben, I was told that we'll find out tomorrow (Tuesday). Hope this helps :)

benmaccam

Post by benmaccam » Mon May 16, 2016 11:26 am

alexabrown90 wrote:
benmaccam wrote:Does anyone know how long Liverpool take to get back? As far as I know they held interviews last week and finished on the friday 13th.
Hi Ben, I was told that we'll find out tomorrow (Tuesday). Hope this helps :)

Superstar, thankyou!

pip28

Post by pip28 » Mon May 16, 2016 5:22 pm

Surrey
Southampton
Oxford
Essex

Second time applying and I was very surprised to have two interviews and even more surprised to be offered a place.

Hesitant to post this as I don't want people to get angry or upset as I know there are a lot of people out there who didn't get a place at all but the theme of this thread seems to be to try and reflect the realities of the process as much as possible, ups and downs so hopefully no one will get to annoyed by it. (
Should also say I was very excitable when I got the email from Surrey a few weeks ago, I'm not an ungrateful twit throwing her dummy out the pram!)

I was holding out hope for Southampton as it's commutable and would have been much more practical. As it happens it wasn't to be. Today I am actually finding it all very difficult as all I can think about is having to move away for training and no longer being able to live with my boyfriend as he has to stay down south for the next 2 years. A very strange thing as I always imagined I would just be rejoicing and over the moon when I finally got onto training. And I feel incredibly guilty for not being like that knowing how very lucky I am to have got a place. I am also really relieved the whole process is over now and looking forward to tomorrow when said boyfriend will have been home and reassured me everything will be ok and helped me do some re-framing and rationalising of the impact this will have on our relationship (we've done it before we can do it again)! In the long run I know this is what I want to do and where I want to be heading and that some times you have to do things that aren't in the master plan to get there. While I'm feeling like this my mantra is going to be 'everything happens for a reason.'

So yea there's my strange, maybe unusual, story of massive mixed emotions from having a positive outcome to applying to training! Congrats to everyone who had made it on this year and also massive commiserations to everyone who didn't, keep at it. All it takes is one interview x