The Great Big Progress Thread for 2016

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
LearnLiveDream

Re: The Great Big Progress Thread for 2016

Post by LearnLiveDream » Mon May 16, 2016 8:00 pm

Congratulations Pip28!

And I think it's understandable to be split; overjoyed at getting on yet not overjoyed at the potential difficulties it will have on your personal life. After all, you can't put off having a life it's about balancing both work and personal life and yes this may make it more difficult for you so of course it's understandable that you'd prefer a course that would accommodate that more. You'll make it work, as everyone will that gets a course further from their home life or their second, third or fourth preference but well done on your complete honesty.

Hope everything works out well for you!

LearnLiveDream

Post by LearnLiveDream » Mon May 16, 2016 8:17 pm

Here's my journey:

Salomons
Surrey
Southampton
Exeter

IoPPN
Surrey
Southampton

Salomons

It's been an emotional rollrcoaster but on reflection I've developed a lot over the past year and feel in a better position to start training... I definitely feel my work experiences (4 years since MSc) have been invaluable!
Despite being a generally very positive person it has been hard hearing no's and feeling like it was not going to happen... so hold on everyone! If it's what drives you and what you love keep at it.
I'm now going to take some time to celebrate!

persephone56

Post by persephone56 » Mon May 16, 2016 9:34 pm

pip28 wrote: I was holding out hope for Southampton as it's commutable and would have been much more practical. As it happens it wasn't to be. Today I am actually finding it all very difficult as all I can think about is having to move away for training and no longer being able to live with my boyfriend as he has to stay down south for the next 2 years. A very strange thing as I always imagined I would just be rejoicing and over the moon when I finally got onto training. And I feel incredibly guilty for not being like that knowing how very lucky I am to have got a place. I am also really relieved the whole process is over now and looking forward to tomorrow when said boyfriend will have been home and reassured me everything will be ok and helped me do some re-framing and rationalising of the impact this will have on our relationship (we've done it before we can do it again)! In the long run I know this is what I want to do and where I want to be heading and that some times you have to do things that aren't in the master plan to get there. While I'm feeling like this my mantra is going to be 'everything happens for a reason.'
First of all, congratulations!

I think you're probably not alone in those conflicting feelings, pip. I'm on the reserve list for a course since March, and in the mean time, I have been having a long hard think about career options. I've realised there's a totally different area that I'm also quite interested in, and this waiting period has been the time when I have started researching it extensively. I found I'm now quite excited about that different career path, and I'll feel very, very conflicted if I get offered a place on the course.

alexabrown90

Post by alexabrown90 » Tue May 17, 2016 12:15 pm

I'm now:

Leeds
Lancaster

Manchester --> Manchester
Liverpool --> Liverpool --> Liverpool

Good luck to those still to interview/reservists and well done to those who have a place this year!

NatJ

Post by NatJ » Tue May 17, 2016 12:35 pm

First time applying (waited until I was well and truly ready). Very excited!.. They went out their way to make it a positive experience which made the whole ordeal a lot better :D

Bath

Exeter
Royal Holloway
Cardiff-> Cardiff

Jaydemma

Post by Jaydemma » Tue May 17, 2016 1:56 pm

Sheffield
Leeds
Coventry & Warwick

Liverpool

This was my 4th and final year applying. 1st year no interviews, 2nd year no interviews, 3rd year 1 interview at Liverpool 20th reserve, and 4th year place at Liverpool.

More proof that it can only take 1. Well done to those that got places, keep positive those on the reserve and keep your chins up those that got no's, its your year next year!

lilachannah

Post by lilachannah » Tue May 17, 2016 2:28 pm

My fourth year applying, although looking back I shouldn't have applied the first two years as I was a HCA, had no experience of working with/being supervised by clinical psychologists and really wasn't ready. This was the first year that I didn't get all reds so although I don't have a place, it's progress!

Exeter - reserve list which materialised into an interview, but no place.
Hertfordshire - reserve list (no. 6) which didn't materialise into an interview.
Cardiff - red
Plymouth- red

(apologies for the lack of colour - my computer that doesn't appear to like them!)

I was a little thrown by Plymouth introducing the selection tests, as I intentionally didn't apply to uni's that use them. My Exeter interview wasn't as terrifying as I thought it would be though; the interviewers, current trainees and other interviewees were great and although I knew where I'd messed up, I had positive feedback and learnt lots.

Congratulations to those who got a place/an interview/a reserve/made it through the difficult process!

Goldy85

Post by Goldy85 » Tue May 17, 2016 3:29 pm

Third year applying. First year of interviews.

Salomons
RHUL
Essex - Essex (7th)
UEA - UEA - UEA

Got the good news from UEA last Monday. A real rollercoaster of emotions since the start of the process until now. Congratulations to everyone with offers. I know the agony of the reserve list so good luck to those people as well. Commiserations to all the reds.

benmaccam

Post by benmaccam » Tue May 17, 2016 4:36 pm

benmaccam wrote:2015:

Essex
Lancaster
Leeds
Leicester

QUB Offered reserve place after course was cut from 10 to 7 :(

2016:

Essex
Newcastle

Trent :(
Liverpool
QUB

Fingers crossed!
Very pleased/astounded/in shock to report that Liverpool and QUB are now blue!

Liverpool
QUB

Reread the Liverpool email a few times and the QUB letter is on the fridge. :mrgreen:

Pinkcrocodile

Post by Pinkcrocodile » Tue May 17, 2016 5:06 pm

Has anyone heard from Staffordshire yet?

Hendog

Post by Hendog » Tue May 17, 2016 5:43 pm

Pinkcrocodile wrote:Has anyone heard from Staffordshire yet?
Frustratingly still no from me :?

Pinkcrocodile

Post by Pinkcrocodile » Tue May 17, 2016 6:43 pm

Hendog wrote:
Ah how annoying! Is Staffordshire the last uni you have left to hear back from?

Hendog

Post by Hendog » Tue May 17, 2016 7:11 pm

Pinkcrocodile wrote:
Hendog wrote:
Ah how annoying! Is Staffordshire the last uni you have left to hear back from?

Annoying is right! For interview I found out via the clearing house website before I got the letter... I'm checking regularly...!

becky1989

Post by becky1989 » Wed May 18, 2016 11:10 am

Argh! Cmon Staffs!! This wait is killing me!! Anyone have any idea whether it will be phone/email/post?

Bd17

Post by Bd17 » Wed May 18, 2016 11:58 am

becky1989 wrote:Argh! Cmon Staffs!! This wait is killing me!! Anyone have any idea whether it will be phone/email/post?
Apparently it will be Friday. Don't know how they will let you know though... :?: