Surrey Request for Feedback on Interview Process

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
Flickk
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:51 pm

Surrey Request for Feedback on Interview Process

Post by Flickk » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:41 pm

Anyone else practically jump out of their skin on receiving an email from Surrey today?

Turned out just to be interview feedback questionnaires :roll:

Montezuma
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:35 pm

Re: The Great Big Progress Thread for 2016

Post by Montezuma » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:14 pm

Flickk wrote:Anyone else practically jump out of their skin on receiving an email from Surrey today?

Turned out just to be interview feedback questionnaires :roll:
Yes! It's a pretty long survey and it feels like another interview :shock: But maybe it will give me the chance to provide feedback that my interviewer appeared to be falling asleep which didn't feel very validating when talking about difficult childhood experiences...

SuzC
Posts: 41
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:45 pm

Re: The Great Big Progress Thread for 2016

Post by SuzC » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:22 am

Absolutely Flickk. Although was helpful to know that results will be out BY the 29th, not necessarily ON the 29th. I feel like our interview day panic might have been unnecessary.

Kinda conncerned about how they will keep in anon though, given that we reply using our email accounts which surrey have access too. Presumably it wouldn't be too hard to cross reference names against replies. Especially given that my email address is my actual name. I know they say that it wouldn't go against us, but finding it a little hard to believe

Flickk
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:51 pm

Re: The Great Big Progress Thread for 2016

Post by Flickk » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:34 am

That's what I thought too Montezuma! It sounds like your personal interview was exceptionally tough if your panel were giving off that impression - but I'm sure it wasn't personal, maybe they were just taking the standard interview "poker face" a bit too far? I wonder how the course will respond to that sort of feedback though!

And hi again SuzC haha! It's true, and in fact I've done some digging and the past few years have found out the Wednesday after, so I'm wondering if it will be the same for us (though of course this is purely speculation, so please no mass panic posting on Wednesday if we haven't heard by then!)

And I thought the same about keeping it anonymous, and suggested obtaining feedback via something like SurveyMonkey, but maybe they somehow get passed on as a whole batch with our addresses hidden? But just in case, I made a good stab at it! :lol:

User avatar
BlueCat
Moderator
Posts: 2844
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:42 pm

Re: The Great Big Progress Thread for 2016

Post by BlueCat » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:41 am

I expect admin will collate all the responses and present them to the team as a report, rather than anyone looking specifically a t individual feedback.
There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes. Billy Connolly.

Flickk
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:51 pm

Re: The Great Big Progress Thread for 2016

Post by Flickk » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:45 am

Good point BlueCat!

User avatar
ell
Moderator
Posts: 2380
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:45 pm

Re: The Great Big Progress Thread for 2016

Post by ell » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:59 am

SuzC wrote:Kinda conncerned about how they will keep in anon though, given that we reply using our email accounts which surrey have access too. Presumably it wouldn't be too hard to cross reference names against replies. Especially given that my email address is my actual name. I know they say that it wouldn't go against us, but finding it a little hard to believe
In order for your feedback to be taken into account when deciding who to accept on to the course, the administrator in charge of the mailbox you are sending your feedback to would have to print out/electronically match it to your interview info. This could be easily done as you say, using e-mail addresses.

However, it would also need to be a purposeful action, with the intended consequence of using your feedback against you. It's not going to be something that accidentally gets taken into account, given that the admin won't be involved in shortlisting. Given that, what I think you're saying is that you find it hard to believe that Surrey will act ethically in this situation. This is a shame, especially if you have been given previous reason to consider Surrey to be unethical in any way. It also makes me think you might be best not going to that course, as training is a really difficult and stressful thing, often tapping into our most difficult emotions and memories. You need to be training somewhere that you can trust they will treat you fairly and ethically.

SuzC
Posts: 41
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:45 pm

Re: The Great Big Progress Thread for 2016

Post by SuzC » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:12 am

ell wrote:
SuzC wrote:Kinda conncerned about how they will keep in anon though, given that we reply using our email accounts which surrey have access too. Presumably it wouldn't be too hard to cross reference names against replies. Especially given that my email address is my actual name. I know they say that it wouldn't go against us, but finding it a little hard to believe
In order for your feedback to be taken into account when deciding who to accept on to the course, the administrator in charge of the mailbox you are sending your feedback to would have to print out/electronically match it to your interview info. This could be easily done as you say, using e-mail addresses.

However, it would also need to be a purposeful action, with the intended consequence of using your feedback against you. It's not going to be something that accidentally gets taken into account, given that the admin won't be involved in shortlisting. Given that, what I think you're saying is that you find it hard to believe that Surrey will act ethically in this situation. This is a shame, especially if you have been given previous reason to consider Surrey to be unethical in any way. It also makes me think you might be best not going to that course, as training is a really difficult and stressful thing, often tapping into our most difficult emotions and memories. You need to be training somewhere that you can trust they will treat you fairly and ethically.

I understand what you mean, however, I have no reason to think that Surrey (or to my knowledge, any other courses) would act unethically. I just feel that there are better ways to receive feedback -perhaps through the use of SurveyMonkey as previously suggested, although I am sure there are other options. Another option would be for feedback to be recieved after the results- as in this case the deadline for feedback is before the deadline for results. However, this could then prove to be difficult, as the fear would be that those that get a rejection would then rate the interview process as unfair.

Its a tricky situation, and ultimately it would be doubtful that feedback would be held against us - any course ultimately want honest applicants that can look critically at situations, and show intergrity, and so there would be little benefit in them choosing applicants simply because they liked the interview process. However, in what is already an anxiety ridden situation, I feel that there could be other options that would be easier than email

User avatar
workingmama
Team Member
Posts: 1495
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:54 pm
Location: UK

Re: The Great Big Progress Thread for 2016

Post by workingmama » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:01 am

ell wrote: Given that, what I think you're saying is that you find it hard to believe that Surrey will act ethically in this situation. This is a shame, especially if you have been given previous reason to consider Surrey to be unethical in any way. .
I think that my, perfectly healthy, in the normal range, roaring paranoia would make me question the sense of any course using a non-anonymised method of collecting feedback, and this doesn't need me to have had poor experiences before! Luckily they didn't screen me out for roaring paranoia prior to training (another one sneaks under the radar......) :lol:
Fail, fail again, fail better.

User avatar
ell
Moderator
Posts: 2380
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:45 pm

Re: Surrey Request for Feedback on Interview Process

Post by ell » Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:52 pm

Yes, I'm definitely agreeing with the idea of anonymised feedback, cos however much you trust someone you're likely to be more open if you can speak completely freely. An online survey system would also be an easier way of courses to collate information I would think, rather than trawling through lots of e-mail replies.

I think my earlier points were in direct response to the idea that it would be hard to believe that a course wouldn't use the information against you, as if it was more of a foregone conclusion or at least a strong possibility, rather than a passing, slightly irrational but kinda normal worry. I may have misread the way it was meant. However, it is important to be careful about wording, as we wouldn't want someone to come along in their anxiety and limited information (as we all have) and think that Surrey are doing something like using feedback in shortlisting (as I am sure they are not).

Good luck with it all folks - been there, done that, and I know how hard it can be!

Flickk
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:51 pm

Re: Surrey Request for Feedback on Interview Process

Post by Flickk » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:12 pm

SuzC wrote:Absolutely Flickk. Although was helpful to know that results will be out BY the 29th, not necessarily ON the 29th. I feel like our interview day panic might have been unnecessary.
..Or not.. Haha :|

SuzC
Posts: 41
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:45 pm

Re: Surrey Request for Feedback on Interview Process

Post by SuzC » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:42 pm

Flickk wrote:
SuzC wrote:Absolutely Flickk. Although was helpful to know that results will be out BY the 29th, not necessarily ON the 29th. I feel like our interview day panic might have been unnecessary.
..Or not.. Haha :|

I live in hope, but as the days and weeks pass by I grow less hopeful that it will be before....

carolinesims
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:16 pm

Re: Surrey Request for Feedback on Interview Process

Post by carolinesims » Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:19 pm

Does anyone know if we will hear back via email/ phone or letter?

I was assuming email, but as we haven't heard yet I am wondering!

Thanks

SuzC
Posts: 41
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:45 pm

Re: Surrey Request for Feedback on Interview Process

Post by SuzC » Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:25 pm

carolinesims wrote:Does anyone know if we will hear back via email/ phone or letter?

I was assuming email, but as we haven't heard yet I am wondering!

Thanks

My understanding from the interview was that it was going to be via email. However, subsequent emails have just said "contact."

They did give a deadline of the 29th, so potentially have another week to wait. Was hoping that they gave a deadline that exceeded that time they would need, but that actually we would hear earlier. However, I am becoming more doubtful that it will be BY the 29th, and think now that it will be ON the 29th.

carolinesims
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:16 pm

Re: Surrey Request for Feedback on Interview Process

Post by carolinesims » Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:35 pm

Yes I was thinking along the same lines! Previous years heard back quite soon after so I was basing my hopes on that!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 2 guests