Surrey Request for Feedback on Interview Process

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
Beggarsroost

Re: Surrey Request for Feedback on Interview Process

Post by Beggarsroost » Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:17 pm

I was told in my interview that I would hear by the 29th by letter :shock: :?

Maybe they don't even know! I was under the impression that the reason they are not letting people know as quickly as in previous years is that they are in a position this year to give more individual feedback? I thought this was good as worst case scenario at least there might be something useful to think about next time. It was tough not getting any feedback last year (I was reserve list but high up)

I too am hoping to hear before the 29th as I have my Solomons interview on the 28th and Surrey would be my first choice should I get in.
Life is far too important to be taken seriously

SuzC

Post by SuzC » Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:13 pm

Beggarsroost wrote:I was told in my interview that I would hear by the 29th by letter :shock: :?

Maybe they don't even know! I was under the impression that the reason they are not letting people know as quickly as in previous years is that they are in a position this year to give more individual feedback? I thought this was good as worst case scenario at least there might be something useful to think about next time. It was tough not getting any feedback last year (I was reserve list but high up)
The feedback situation would be helpful at least, assuming that is the rationale.

Am now beginning to wonder if my obsessive email refreshing was worth it, and instead if I should be trying to get home during lunch break at work.

mjb223

Post by mjb223 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:17 pm

I spoke to them it will definitely be by email

SuzC

Post by SuzC » Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:22 pm

mjb223 wrote:I spoke to them it will definitely be by email
Thank you. Did they give any hints at how much longer we will be waiting? Was really hoping that it would be today, but that is looking increasingly less likely

laura83

Post by laura83 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:24 pm

This may not be relevant but I'd guessed that it would be after the 25th as that is the deadline for the feedback questionnaires. Knowing the outcome of the interview may have changed people's comments... Indeed in the unlikely event of being offered a place I would have probably been more positive on the feedback questionnaire!

Ah well.. Who knows! This time next week we should all be out of our misery (unless we are on the reserves list?!)

Good luck xx

jsv1990

Post by jsv1990 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:06 pm

Beggarsroost wrote:
I too am hoping to hear before the 29th as I have my Solomons interview on the 28th and Surrey would be my first choice should I get in.
I wonder whether since the courses are somewhat linked and presumably there is quite a significant overlap in interviewees between the two courses, Surrey have agreed to withhold results until after the Salomons interviews are over to prevent a lot of drop outs from successful Surrey applicants?

Could be completely wrong but maybe that explains 29th. Like the interview feedback reasoning too, sounds plausible.

Seraphina26

Post by Seraphina26 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:17 pm

I'm 5th reserve for salamons so desperately hoping for movement and watching this thread obsessively . Best of luck to all, just want an interview !

Montezuma

Post by Montezuma » Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:24 pm

Beggarsroost wrote:I was told in my interview that I would hear by the 29th by letter :shock: :?

I think it's a real shame that Surrey interviewees won't hear back until after Solomons interviews, given that some people will withdraw from Solomons if offered a place at Surrey. So much extra anxiety to go through when you might not need to!

We better get some very helpful feedback from Surrey for keeping us waiting so long! So frustrating!

BlueCat

Post by BlueCat » Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:15 am

jsv1990 wrote:
I wonder whether since the courses are somewhat linked and presumably there is quite a significant overlap in interviewees between the two courses, Surrey have agreed to withhold results until after the Salomons interviews are over to prevent a lot of drop outs from successful Surrey applicants?

Could be completely wrong but maybe that explains 29th. Like the interview feedback reasoning too, sounds plausible.
Wouldn't have thought do, as that would mean Salomons "wasting" their time interviewing people who definitely wouldn't take up a place (if Surrey were their preference and they had a place). It would be more beneficial to Salomons if Surrey results are before they start interviewing, because then everyone they interview would potentially want a place. However, I think thus is too much thougt about motivations. They will be doing whatever they're doing. Waiting is horrible.
There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes. Billy Connolly.

SuzC

Post by SuzC » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:25 pm

So, the feedback deadline has passed. 3 more potential full days left. Beginning to feel that ON the 29th is more likely than BY the 29th. We live in hope...

Flickk

Post by Flickk » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:55 pm

Ughr it just feels ridiculous now.. Oxford heard back the next day! Salomons and UCL will hear within 5 days.. but two and a half weeks?? Feedback had better be comprehensive is all I'm saying! :roll:

SuzC

Post by SuzC » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:48 am

I hope so Flickk. I think that, given this is our only interview; the pressure seems even more as this is the only chance this year. I know that one should be alright with dealing with uncertainty- I think the wait is making me more aware that I need to develop this skill. To echo what other people say, I feel that things are somewhat on hold at the moment until that email is received (unless, of course, we are on the reserve list- but I don't want to think about that right now...)

2 weeks today the last day of interviews was just commencing. Let’s hope that we hear something today...

Flickk

Post by Flickk » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:22 pm

Very true SuzC, but for me personally it's more the fact that other Unis have been far more prompt. I know that (for instance) the Oxford course is considerably smaller, but UCL take on more trainees than Surrey, and their applicants have apparently already been informed that they'll know within a week. I love Surrey and think their course looks fantastic, but this long wait just seems unnecessary. That said, apparently they are in the middle of recruiting new tutors, so maybe that has something to do with it?

Who knows :|

Randomswirls
Team Member

Post by Randomswirls » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:00 pm

I haven't applied to Surrey but I think last year Birminghams panel took a month or so to convene after the interview and I think they interviewed at a similar time to Surrey this year and will find out next week (I believe).

It must be really frustrating waiting and for those waiting on Salomons reserve list having this wait but hopefully you will hear by Friday!

hodgepodge

Post by hodgepodge » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:40 pm

Just got my email so check your inboxes! It's a no for me unfortunately but I was expecting that - I let nerves get the better of me!