CV of failures

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
Sessycfc

Re: CV of failures

Post by Sessycfc » Thu May 26, 2016 12:36 pm

My CV of failures are often due to my complete lack of common sense... here goes!

- Every sporty type activity, ever!
- Prelim (mock) for higher maths
- Mock Stats exam at undergrad
- 3 driving tests (think this relates to sport-type affair - complete lack of co-ordination)
- an interview at ASDA haha...
- Plenty of AP applications
- 2 AP interviews
- 3 year's worth of doctorate applications including 4 interviews...
- Finding the right building for an HR meeting...I went to a completely different university, in a different city, only to realise that the right building was the one I actually worked in (I kid you not)
- Speaking to an irish research participant on the phone who described his ethnicity as 'caucasian' to which I replied 'Cork Asian?' (again, i kid you not)
- a whole host of other interactions or activities requiring common sense

i hope if nothing else this has given a few of you a laugh, it has made me laugh (in amongst the doctorate failure tears !)

Sarah :D

maven
Site Admin

Post by maven » Thu May 26, 2016 1:31 pm

I love Cork Asian!

I failed at catching the train to Liverpool on Tuesday - I was booked on the 9.07 and missed it by a minute because I was sent to the wrong platform, and there were no other trains to Liverpool that night, and they wouldn't even let me on the Manchester train because my ticket said Liverpool! In the end I had to buy a single to Chesterfield, stay over and then get the train to Liverpool the next day (wasting £69 for the train ticket to Chesterfield, £30 for a taxi, £14 for parking, and £34 for train to Liverpool).

I also tripped over a loose paving slab and damaged my laptop a few months ago, paid an arm and a leg to have it repaired and then dropped it when rearranging luggage in my boot the following week, creating a new dent!

Oh, and when it comes to vertigo, I climbed a spiral staircase in a Scottish castle when I had a virus and had to go down the stairs one at a time on my bottom like a small child, after I got so dizzy I couldn't walk down again!
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare

hs577

Post by hs577 » Thu May 26, 2016 6:03 pm

Mine is fairly extensive :)
Off the top of my head:-
RE gcse failed
Failed some modules of my french a level - likely writing
Failed my theory driving test initially
Key skills IT level 3
Didn't get an interview for nursing course undergrad
Bsc psychology at Warwick uni application
A module 1st yr psychology degree due to not sitting the exam
Having a minor road accident where everyone was fine aged 22 (meaning my insurance went up)
2 lesson observations in my pgce initially. (I had to redo said lessons in the same week)
An interview for a school mentor position
An application for a health care assistant
An interview for a family worker post
An application for a parenting practitioner role
Multiple assistant psychologist interviews Id say easily up to 10 possibly more
Published papers being initially rejected
An interview for a YOT court worker role
An interview at bath, teesside & sheffield uni for a postgrad course.
Reserve places at Leeds n manchester for the above courses which were still failures ultimately
A qualified pwp interview
Senior pwp interview
Senior research mental health practitioner interview
3 x high intensity trainee interviews
Probably a bunch of other stuff I can't even recall

Ultimately, to date most of this has not held me back and some of them with hindsight genuinely have been for the best. Chin up and keep going :)

Spatch

Post by Spatch » Thu May 26, 2016 6:24 pm

Tamsin
Elly
Alicia
Sophie
Christina
Darcy
Natalie
...and several others that my memory has kindly blanked out.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, right?
Shameless plug alert:

Irrelevant Experience: The Secret Diary of an Assistant Psychologist is available at Amazon
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Irrelevant-Expe ... 00EQFE5JW/

maven
Site Admin

Post by maven » Thu May 26, 2016 6:41 pm

Spatch are you Lou Bega?
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare

Toria

Post by Toria » Thu May 26, 2016 7:03 pm

maven wrote:Spatch are you Lou Bega?
:lol: I had exactly the same thought!
You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf - Jon Kabat-Zinn

Spatch

Post by Spatch » Thu May 26, 2016 7:41 pm

Spatch are you Lou Bega
I don't think Mambo No 5 was intended to be a song about failure. (Unless you count objectification of women, sexual incontinence and general unpleasantness as "failure").

Plus, the names are way too middle class in any case.
Shameless plug alert:

Irrelevant Experience: The Secret Diary of an Assistant Psychologist is available at Amazon
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Irrelevant-Expe ... 00EQFE5JW/

firegal
Team Member

Post by firegal » Thu May 26, 2016 9:23 pm

Hmmmm

-First attempt of my driving test
-First attempt of my motorbike test
-Countless AP applications
-1 AP interview
-1 RA interview
-A grand total of 16 clinical applications over 5 years that didn't result in interviews
-An audition for Annie when I was 10
-An audition for Diggit (who remembers Diggit?!) when I was about 11
-Numerous times screwing up songs on stage
-Was once told by a customer when I worked in retail that I should "never be allowed to work in customer service or with people ever again"
-Every time I've ever resolved to start eating breakfast
-Every time I've ever resolved to drink more water in the day
-Every time I've ever resolved to stretch daily and improve my flexibility
-Also, up until a few months ago, I had never managed to complete any video game ever (seriously, I've had several versions of Pokemon over the years and never even got to the final battle, let alone caught them all)

That's just what I can think of off the top of my head, probably plenty more that could be included!

kiora

Post by kiora » Fri May 27, 2016 2:48 pm

loving this thread. oh the failures!....

-being accepted onto the irish dancing trip abroad when i was about 10 (i was the only one not accepted, and noone had ever been not accepted before!...)
-going into a ballet exam about aged 12 with a friend (being judged together) and both failing to dance and instead crying in tandem whilst the adjudicators looked at us confused at what to do with the terrible failures in front of them (i'm seeing a dance theme here...)
-cutting my sisters fringe so badly than when we mum found out she was seriously angry and banned me from ever cutting any siblings hair again
-running out of time on an art exam in secondary school and deciding that the only way to complete my clay model on time was to decide my mermaid was going to have to be armless
-and while we are on art, poor time management leading to only completing 2 out of the 3 essays required in my art leaving cert (equivalent of GSCEs in importance)
-infact my leaving cert had a lot of near misses, and a particularly abysmal performance in maths (who knew one day i would be on training attempting to do doctorate level stats)
-going to all the hockey practices but never being put on the team
-hitting a landmark birthday while on a family holiday and having to inform my family that it was indeed my birthday...
-going with a friend to weightwatchers before then immediately following this up with a trip to the pub for beer and pizza. we didn't return to weightwatchers needless to say
-oh so many AP applications. most that i never even got replies from, and 2 rejections post interview.
-2 out and out rejections from dclinpsy courses
-oh, and getting the time of my dclinpsy interview day appointment wrong and having to run the length of the campus in my fancy interview gear in a mad panic to get there on time

plenty more failures where they came from but just airing the failure 'lite's!

kiora

Post by kiora » Fri May 27, 2016 3:27 pm

firegal wrote:
-An audition for Annie when I was 10
just noticed this! ahaha! i too have this on my list of failures! how many failed annies are out there, i wonder?....

CurlyHair
Team Member

Post by CurlyHair » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:27 pm

Weasel number 3 - amazing. When I stop laughing, I will do one of these :D Great idea!

I failed my cycling proficiency test after running through a (fake) red light. There's a starter...