The Great Big Progress Thread for 2017 entry DClinPsy

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
Hopeful

Re: The Great Big Progress Thread for 2017 entry DClinPsy

Post by Hopeful » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:51 pm

That's the exact feedback I got today too. I got down to the last 50 but there were bigger fish in the pond with PhDs.
I'm anxiously waiting to hear from Manchester and Liverpool now hoping I am one of the bigger fish despite not having a PhD....

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
Holly85

Post by Holly85 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:25 pm

Have you got any publications as that might go some way towards leveling the playing field? depending on the success of this years applications, might be worth trying to get some research experience this year?

purpledot

Post by purpledot » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:27 am

Hoping not to derail the progress thread, but if you have access to it (I believe the 2016 guide was free), the Alternative Handbook is a good place to look and see the qualifications/experience of trainees on each course. Although not every trainee responds, you may be able to get a rough idea of how many trainees have PhDs. I can't comment on Bangor's course, but I'm one of a cohort of 24 and only one of us has a PhD.

lisakraml04

Post by lisakraml04 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:59 pm

Cardiff
Bath
Bangor :(
Coventry/Warwick

Hopeful

Post by Hopeful » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:11 pm

Holly85 wrote:Have you got any publications as that might go some way towards leveling the playing field? depending on the success of this years applications, might be worth trying to get some research experience this year?
Hi Holy85
I definitely need to focus on publications this year yes, that's the area I'm lacking.
I've still got my fingers crossed for Liverpool, Manchester and Staffordshire :)

Hopeful

Post by Hopeful » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:12 pm

purpledot wrote:Hoping not to derail the progress thread, but if you have access to it (I believe the 2016 guide was free), the Alternative Handbook is a good place to look and see the qualifications/experience of trainees on each course. Although not every trainee responds, you may be able to get a rough idea of how many trainees have PhDs. I can't comment on Bangor's course, but I'm one of a cohort of 24 and only one of us has a PhD.
Hi purpledot
Thank you for your input, that's really reassuring to read.
Hope you're enjoying your programme :)

Curtisgibbins

Post by Curtisgibbins » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:56 am

Hopeful wrote:
Holly85 wrote:Have you got any publications as that might go some way towards leveling the playing field? depending on the success of this years applications, might be worth trying to get some research experience this year?
Hi Holy85
I definitely need to focus on publications this year yes, that's the area I'm lacking.
I've still got my fingers crossed for Liverpool, Manchester and Staffordshire :)

Hi Holly85 and Hopeful, I do have a publication which I was apparently awarded marks for when they were scoring. However, my feedback was that giving a presentation would be able to get me one additional mark (I assume at a conference or similar?) I was also told that in addition to applicants with PHD's, a number of people also had first class honours (which I frustratingly just missed out on!).
Does anyone know anything more about how necessary it is to have a first? This is the first time I've ever felt held back by my undergrad degree. I do have a masters with distinction but it seems that more focus is on undergrad marks?

Also, thank you purpledot for your helpful feedback! :)

Hopeful

Post by Hopeful » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:35 pm

Hi Curtisgibbins
I was given the same feedback from Bangor about publications and presentations and other applicants having a first and a PHD.
Bangor is such a small course with only 8-10 places and at least half of places are given to Welsh speakers which means there are only 4-5 English places max. Other universities obviously have more places. Purpledot's post is encouraging so I'm keeping positive (as well as obsessively refreshing my emails). I think at the end of the day course centres are looking for a mix of people for their courses so there is hope!

Stephhhhaniee

Post by Stephhhhaniee » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:49 am

2016 (application results, ended the interview process at 1st reserve at UEL)
UEA
UCL
UEL
Herts

2017- (using the same application form!)
UEA
UCL

UEL
RHUL

Competition must be even tougher this year! Well done to anyone who has been offered interviews so far!

Ra1nb0w123

Post by Ra1nb0w123 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:56 am

UCL
Surrey
IOPPN
Oxford

DanJJJJJJ

Post by DanJJJJJJ » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:01 am

Damn I missed out on UCL too. 1092 applicants > 120 interviews > 42 places... it's tough out there!

Caterpillar

Post by Caterpillar » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:10 am

UEA
Essex
UCL
Royal Holloway

lozzyhickers

Post by lozzyhickers » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:19 am

Goddamn it! Felt like I was actually getting somewhere this year!

UEA
UCL
IoPPN
Royal Holloway

SamH

Post by SamH » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:42 am

Lancaster
Salomons
Cardiff
UCL

And seen as the last two rely on the numerical test, I'm thinking that's me out!

Jolouma

Post by Jolouma » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:32 am

2014 and 2015 applications: no interviews

2016 results:
Oxford
UEL
IOPPN -> IOPPN -> IOPPN
RHUL -> RHUL

2017 so far:
UCL
UEL
IOPPN
RHUL

Fourth time applicant, and I’ve decided this is going to be my last year of applying. It’s a tough process! Chin up to everyone who has also received a “no” from UCL today. Definitely plan something nice later, whether it’s seeing friends or settling in with a film and some good food. My plans will most likely involve a glass or three of vino. Congratulations to those who received a “yes”! :D