The Great Big Progress Thread for 2017 entry DClinPsy

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
stephenkingfan

Re: The Great Big Progress Thread for 2017 entry DClinPsy

Post by stephenkingfan » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:08 pm

guygomar wrote: Well done to those who have been successful at Lancaster this afternoon - the tests were so difficult! I wonder if there is a course I can go on to brush up my numerical and verbal reasoning?
I reaaaally struggled with the tests last year, particularly numerical. This year I went to [a commercial website, link removed] and paid to have a year access. I practised again and again (even on holiday :shock: ) and it really made such a difference. By the time I took my test (for Cardiff and Plymouth this year - Lancaster last year) I felt so much more confident. I have got an interview for Cardiff and waiting to hear back from Plymouth. Practice really made a huge difference for me.
Last edited by maven on Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: link removed as we do not endorse commercial sites to improve test performance

NorthC

Post by NorthC » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:33 pm

Hi Daisie

That is really rubbish. I know how you feel having interviewed at UCL and gained a reserve list place at RHUL last year, I have not received an interview for either this year. It is very disheartening and frustrating. It sounds like you have made lots of progress though - three publications - wow! Try to keep this in mind (easier said than done I know!) Fingers crossed for Herts for you!

SC54

Post by SC54 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:54 pm

2016 (application results, ended the interview process at 1st reserve at UEL)
UEA
UCL
UEL
Herts

2017- (using the same application form!)
UEA
UCL
UEL

RHUL

All rests on my position on the list!!!

RhubarbCrumble

Post by RhubarbCrumble » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:19 pm

That's absolutely heartbreaking! I really hope that you get called for interview at RHUL! Can't imagine how shit that must feel!

emma2017

Post by emma2017 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:03 am

Lancaster
Leicester
Leeds
Sheffield

Feeling very upset although I did realise my experience is not very strong, which is why I was hoping that courses with selection tests would work in my favour. The numerical however just threw me despite trying hard to prep and practice.
It is my first year applying but I am in my late 30s and with graduating 10 years ago as a mature student and now having children and mortgage and still having limited opportunities to get that right work experience I am not sure right now if it is worth trying again. I know that everyone who has got an interview deserves it and wants it as badly as me - its not like someone pips you for a job and you think you could do better. There has to be a cut off point and I just didn't get over the line. What is hard is that I know I would make an excellent Clinical Psychologist. I have given up a career in Public health management to work in mental health so it just feels I am left with nothing and I am fast approaching 40. Wish I had made some better choices in my 20s!! Anyway I wasn't going to post but I read somewhere it is good for people to see the realistc side to the decisions and processes so others with 4 rejections don't feel like they are the only ones. I also wanted to post as I do feel quite different as a mature applicant and a parent. Its tough making decisions between a career you are passionate about and what is right for your family. So if thats you, you are not alone and I wish you the very best whatever your outcomes.

lulabelle98

Post by lulabelle98 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:37 am

Leeds
Lancaster
South Wales
Plymouth

First time posting to this forum.

A huge congratulations to those who have been offered interviews. I am not hopeful for Plymouth so I'm counting myself out this year (2nd time applying).

I just wondered if anyone who had been invited to interview at Leeds could share their experience? Or number of publications? Or voluntary work? I'd be immensely grateful.

Holly85

Post by Holly85 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:35 am

So this years results so far are

Lancaster
Bangor
Staffordshire
Plymouth

Was not expecting Staffordshire at all! arrgghh

RJParker

Post by RJParker » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:36 am

You're going to be busy :D

Holly85

Post by Holly85 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:40 am

I know :D yea! really happy about it though

albot4000

Post by albot4000 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:47 am

albot4000 wrote:Hey all,

Second timer here. Remembered someone saying last year that it was just as important to share good and bad news to help prevent skewed perceptions arising and to show the balanced reality of this process for all. In that spirit!...

2016 (1st Attempt)
Edinburgh
Glasgow
Teeside
Manchester
2017 (2nd Attempt)
Edinburgh
Glasgow
Teeside
Manchester

So it looks like Teeside emails are heading out. All the best everyone.

BJLucas

Post by BJLucas » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:59 am

Birmingham
Leicester

Staffordshire
Cov and Warwick

Staffordshire won't provide details of where I am on the reserve list

KerryMcC

Post by KerryMcC » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:14 am

Second time applying, got offered an interview last year, this year isn't looking as good. Just keeping my fingers crossed for Glasgow

Newcastle
Teesside
Glasgow

Well done everyone with interviews

ClinPsyOo

Post by ClinPsyOo » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:22 am

All results are out for me, unexpected and very pleasing! :)

Salomons
UCL
UEL

RHUL - still don't know my place on the list

Commiserations to the reds and good luck to the greens!

hawke

Post by hawke » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:27 pm

Birmingham & Cardiff
Bath & Exeter

Very happy with this! First year applying, and enough time between the 2 interviews to really learn from the first if it doesn't go well. And if neither go well, I've got as far as I was hoping to get this year, and an idea about which universities like my application for next year (those with short-listing tests).

Good luck everybody! I knew this process would be tough, but I don't think I realised just how tough. Compassion focused thoughts & behaviour definitely essential!

Esk

Post by Esk » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:29 pm

Just got my rejection from Bath. Not surprising as I don't have a 1st and it was just to fill that last space.
So now I'm:

South Wales
Birmingham
Bath

Coventry

As a 6th time applicant I really feel for all the reds, and am super grateful to even have 1 green, it's sometimes a horrible process and I hope you've all got some nice self care things planned for this week.