How old is too old for training?

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
SnowGem

Re: How old is too old for training?

Post by SnowGem » Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:44 pm

I am just reading this older thread and wondered whether any of these more mature students could provide an update.

I am at the beginning of this "journey". Due to a number of personal reasons I had to withdraw from my conversion course but am hoping to restart next year.

Thank you in advance.

Punkgirluk

Post by Punkgirluk » Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:12 am

I didn’t reply to the original post as that would have been right at the start of my journey but I’m a first year trainee at Salomons and I am 41 and not the oldest in my cohort. This year was my first application and I was lucky enough to receive 2 interviews and 2 offers. I’ve never found my age to be an issue during the application process or the course so far- and I think in many ways the extra life experience has been helpful. Certainly I think I was less anxious and therefore performed better at interviews because although it was something I really wanted- I knew I had other options if I wasn’t successful. I think there are significant differences between courses in the mix of ages in the cohort so it may be worth checking out the details for courses you are interested in. I also know I personally wouldn’t have been ready for clinical training in my mid to late 20s and I think that can be useful to reflect on in your application.
I would say though that I found financially the path to a place where I had enough relevant experience to apply was quite tough as having more fixed costs and no family to borrow cash/ accommodation from meant it was quite hard to live on band 3/4 salaries. Overall though I don’t regret it (though my bank manager may disagree!)
Happy to answer any specific questions you may have

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:57 pm

It’s great to hear from some of the older trainees, and I’m glad some more diversity is creeping through. However it’s worth doing your background research as some courses are better than others in this regard, and the majority of trainees are still in their late 20s in most courses (the overall training cohort last year was 80% under 30, 93% under 35, and under 3% over 40, which seems quite a typical distribution for the last few intakes) with a lower success rate for older applicants. I’m unclear whether this is to do with the perception of better value for money in training people with longer remaining working lives, or an adverse impact of grade inflation making older qualifications appear less impressive, bias in the system, the more diverse older applicants not all having the core understanding of the role gained from (lower paid) posts directly supervised by CPs, or something else entirely. It would be interesting to find out!
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

Ygrimmador

Post by Ygrimmador » Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:43 pm

I don't know if this will help as an answer to the query, but a friend of mine who I completed my MSc with applied while we were undertaking our MSc and got onto the doctorate on their first attempt. They started the course at 53, so I don't think age should hold one back from applying for professional training at all :)