2018 Doctorate Application Progress thread

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
RJParker

Re: 2018 Doctorate Application Progress thread

Post by RJParker » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:38 am

Brio52 wrote:It'll be quite fun going back for the third year in a row, wonder if they'll get tired of seeing me there. :P
Never - we like to see people again!

Brio52

Post by Brio52 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:40 am

RJParker wrote:
Brio52 wrote:It'll be quite fun going back for the third year in a row, wonder if they'll get tired of seeing me there. :P
Never - we like to see people again!
:D Good to hear! Thanks for all the help you give on the forum & emails Rob, you've always been a very big help!

CMc

Post by CMc » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:59 am

Lancaster -
Liverpool
Sheffield
Glasgow

QUB (Belfast)
UCD (Dublin)
NUIG (Galway)

Hann30

Post by Hann30 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:16 pm

Hann30 wrote:Hi all, my second time applying after getting no interviews last year

Bangor
Lancaster
Leeds
Liverpool

Anyone know when we are likely to find out from Liverpool and Leeds? I've given up on the thought of Lancaster as I think I really struggled with the tests! Excited to have an interview for Bangor though! Good Luck everyone :D

mholmes32

Post by mholmes32 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:21 pm

Hey guys,

I don’t know if this helps but I called Queen’s yesterday and they are still emailing about interview dates and that everyone will get a response to their application. I keep going back and forth about whether I’m going to get one, I am leaning more to me not getting one which is going to be so gutting for me but there is always next year :(

Don’t know if this update helped but good luck everyone

graduateak

Post by graduateak » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:19 pm

Sheffield
Lancaster

Bath
Newcastle

Over the moon as I found the numerical reasoning test really difficult and didn't finish.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.” ― Albert Einstein.

CMc

Post by CMc » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:48 pm

mholmes32 wrote:Hey guys,
I don’t know if this helps but I called Queen’s yesterday and they are still emailing about interview dates and that everyone will get a response to their application. I keep going back and forth about whether I’m going to get one, I am leaning more to me not getting one which is going to be so gutting for me but there is always next year :(

That is helpful to know, thank you. I have just received an email regarding Belfast. They said they only finished making their decisions yesterday and everyone will hear by an email followed by a letter in the next "day or so." It sounds like they have 2 weeks of interviews and have informed everyone that has been invited to interview next week. Good luck everyone who applied.

Ledaena

Post by Ledaena » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:51 pm

Coventry and Warwick
Exeter (completed test))
Lancaster
Plymouth (completed test)

As it was my first time Applying I did find the tests really hard but I still have a chance at the moment. Good Luck everyone :)

mholmes32

Post by mholmes32 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:05 pm

CMc wrote:
mholmes32 wrote:Hey guys,

That is helpful to know, thank you. I have just received an email regarding Belfast. They said they only finished making their decisions yesterday and everyone will hear by an email followed by a letter in the next "day or so." It sounds like they have 2 weeks of interviews and have informed everyone that has been invited to interview next week. Good luck everyone who applied.
My theory (which could be completely wrong) is that they let their first set of interviewees a week before the interview date and I think they are wanting to give everyone the same prep time so it could be Monday before we know for the second round?
Maybe haha I hope that is the case anyways :)

AryaStark

Post by AryaStark » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:13 pm

In the spirit of showing the negative as well as the positive. (First time applicant):
Lancaster
Manchester
Birmingham
Liverpool

I'm going to take that as me out for the year as I didn't feel too confident with the Bham test and I doubt I will get looked at by Liverpool as I do not have a post-grad masters (and can't afford to do one! :( ). Anyway, we will see!
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here.
-Max Ehrmann,"Desiderata"

Kasiopea

Post by Kasiopea » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:58 pm

Kasiopea wrote:Liverpool
Lancaster
Staffordshire
Manchester!

:alien:

Good luck everyone!

Liverpool
Lancaster!
Staffordshire
Manchester!

:alien: :alien:

conoro27

Post by conoro27 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:59 pm

AryaStark wrote:In the spirit of showing the negative as well as the positive. (First time applicant):
Lancaster
Manchester
Birmingham
Liverpool

I'm going to take that as me out for the year as I didn't feel too confident with the Bham test and I doubt I will get looked at by Liverpool as I do not have a post-grad masters (and can't afford to do one! :( ). Anyway, we will see!
Hey Arya, don't be discouraged! Keep applying and keep building your experience. This is a tough process and many people face rejection the first time around. When the time is right, you'll get on.

What did you get for your degree? 1st, high 2:1, low 2:1...?

AryaStark

Post by AryaStark » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:09 pm

conoro27 wrote:
AryaStark wrote:In the spirit of showing the negative as well as the positive. (First time applicant):
Lancaster
Manchester
Birmingham
Liverpool

Hey Arya, don't be discouraged! Keep applying and keep building your experience. This is a tough process and many people face rejection the first time around. When the time is right, you'll get on.

What did you get for your degree? 1st, high 2:1, low 2:1...?
Thanks Conoro, it was high 2:1 (69%). I have a paper too, but hoping by next year to have a couple which may help. Also going to look at moving in to a different service user group or research.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here.

yorkshirepysch

Post by yorkshirepysch » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:25 pm

Lancaster
Manchester
Birmingham
Liverpool

Hi Arya,

Liverpool don’t require a post-grad masters for an interview. I interviewed there last year and only have a BSc!

Best of luck,

AryaStark

Post by AryaStark » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:28 pm

yorkshirepysch wrote:
Lancaster
Manchester
Birmingham
Liverpool

Hi Arya,

Liverpool don’t require a post-grad masters for an interview. I interviewed there last year and only have a BSc!

Best of luck,
Thank you :) . Sorry everyone I won't de-rail the thread anymore, it's been one of those days! I will post again when I have more updates.