2018 Doctorate Application Progress thread

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
maryse1271

Re: 2018 Doctorate Application Progress thread

Post by maryse1271 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:43 pm

conoro27 wrote:
AryaStark wrote:In the spirit of showing the negative as well as the positive. (First time applicant):
Lancaster
Manchester
Birmingham
Liverpool

I'm going to take that as me out for the year as I didn't feel too confident with the Bham test and I doubt I will get looked at by Liverpool as I do not have a post-grad masters (and can't afford to do one! :( ). Anyway, we will see!
Hey Arya, dont worry! That's still 2 possibles :)
It sounds like you're a force to be reckoned with so my fingers are crossed for you.

To all: I wonder if anyone has heard from Staffs yet as they used the same system? Dreading it slightly as the numerical test was a demon! haha.

hawke

Post by hawke » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:46 pm

Birmingham
Bath
Cov & Warwick
Exeter

maryse1271

Post by maryse1271 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:48 pm

hawke wrote:Birmingham
Bath
Cov & Warwick
Exeter

Well done! Was it via email?...I'm currently awaiting the outcome :shock:

hawke

Post by hawke » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:52 pm

maryse1271 wrote:
hawke wrote:Birmingham
Bath
Cov & Warwick
Exeter

Well done! Was it via email?...I'm currently awaiting the outcome :shock:
Thanks! I interviewed last year, and was horrendously under-prepared so it was an awful experience... here's hoping my second chance will go a bit better.

They emailed me a few minutes ago. Fingers crossed for you!

AryaStark

Post by AryaStark » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:55 pm

maryse1271 wrote:
conoro27 wrote:
AryaStark wrote:In the spirit of showing the negative as well as the positive. (First time applicant):
Lancaster
Manchester
Birmingham
Liverpool

I'm going to take that as me out for the year as I didn't feel too confident with the Bham test and I doubt I will get looked at by Liverpool as I do not have a post-grad masters (and can't afford to do one! :( ). Anyway, we will see!
Hey Arya, dont worry! That's still 2 possibles :)
It sounds like you're a force to be reckoned with so my fingers are crossed for you.

To all: I wonder if anyone has heard from Staffs yet as they used the same system? Dreading it slightly as the numerical test was a demon! haha.
Oh!

Birmingham

:lol:
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here.
-Max Ehrmann,"Desiderata"

pianohead

Post by pianohead » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:57 pm

Just received an email from Surrey:

Surrey
Salomons
Royal Holloway
Southampton

maryse1271

Post by maryse1271 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:00 pm

Arya!

FANTASTIC!!!! Well done, seeeeeee :)

Did you complete your exam on the 24th by any chance?

bunnies

Post by bunnies » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:16 pm

pianohead wrote:Just received an email from Surrey:

Surrey
Salomons
Royal Holloway
Southampton
Sorry to hear about Surrey, but did your email mention wait list. I have the words wait list on my email but am unsure if I'm on the waitlist or if everyone got sent the sentence about a waitlist

AryaStark

Post by AryaStark » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:22 pm

maryse1271 wrote:Arya!

Thank you! Yeah completely shocked. It was 24th, 2-4pm, did I meet you? :)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here.

pianohead

Post by pianohead » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:25 pm

bunnies wrote:
Sorry to hear about Surrey, but did your email mention wait list. I have the words wait list on my email but am unsure if I'm on the waitlist or if everyone got sent the sentence about a waitlist
Yep it did mention the waiting list, but as you say it was unclear whether that means we're on it or whether as a general rule if lots of people can't attend then theoretically we could be offered one! :?

maryse1271

Post by maryse1271 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:26 pm

AryaStark wrote:
maryse1271 wrote:Arya!

Thank you! Yeah completely shocked. It was 24th, 2-4pm, did I meet you? :)
Nah, mine was 12-2pm!
I havent heard anything yet so im guessing its a no :(. I really am not too surprised, it was ruddy difficult!

Congrats again and good look with Liverpool!

conoro27

Post by conoro27 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:26 pm

Well done, Arya! That just shows how good your application was :)

Contrary to popular belief, you don't need a Master's if you have a high 2:1 or a 1st. It does nothing according to the UCL admissions tutor (and she says this is a consensus across the board). Don't do what I did and get in heaps of debt for no reason!

Clearly, you didn't need it anyway, so well done and good luck!

bunnies

Post by bunnies » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:28 pm

pianohead wrote:
bunnies wrote:
Yep it did mention the waiting list, but as you say it was unclear whether that means we're on it or whether as a general rule if lots of people can't attend then theoretically we could be offered one! :?
hmm thanks, how confusing. Im getting my hopes up that i'm on a waiting list but it sounds like maybe 900 other people also are?

smind15

Post by smind15 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:30 pm

bunnies wrote:
pianohead wrote:Just received an email from Surrey:

Surrey
Salomons
Royal Holloway
Southampton
Hi there. I also just received an email from Surrey saying I was unsuccessful but included this line:

"We are, however, holding a waiting list for interview places so we may contact you at a later stage if an interview place becomes available."

I have a feeling that all unsuccessful applicants may have received the same. Can anyone shed any further light? Thanks! And huge well done to everyone who has interview offers so far!

AryaStark

Post by AryaStark » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:30 pm

conoro27 wrote:Well done, Arya! That just shows how good your application was :)

Contrary to popular belief, you don't need a Master's if you have a high 2:1 or a 1st. It does nothing according to the UCL admissions tutor (and she says this is a consensus across the board). Don't do what I did and get in heaps of debt for no reason!

Clearly, you didn't need it anyway, so well done and good luck!
Thank you all, an emotional day! Conoro that's really good to know thank you, I appreciate it. Maryse, it was difficult- mainly because the test study was a bit different to previous years which threw me off a bit. Really hope you hear soon! Have my fingers crossed for you, good luck everyone!!