Written essay questions on interview day- Advice please!

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
Tabitha

Written essay questions on interview day- Advice please!

Post by Tabitha » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:35 pm

Hello,

I'm hoping this comes within the remit of this forum, I know we aren't allowed to discuss specific universities questions etc, hence I haven't posted which course this relates to. And I suppose Im hoping for a discussion about how people would takle these tasks.

Basically, the process is that we were supplied abstracts to read and had to answer an exam question, on a fairly short time limit. I was completely thrown, as had no idea this would be the format of the test, panicked and wrote probably the worst essay i have ever written! :oops:

I've been trying to think about how I might tackle it differently this year, as it has been a good while since i have written an answer to an essay question (all my essays have been reflective in the past few years!)

I have been thinking that I had forgotten to even cover the basics on good essay practice;
  • Have clear, Intro, discussion, conclusion sections;
    Ensure each paragraph is introduced, has a specific point, evidence and explaination to how it answers the question;
    Ensuring methodology in studies are critiqued i.e. sample size/demographics/method used/type of study/ year of study etc (have I missed anything here?);
    Making sure i actually ANSWER the question asked;
    Make sure there is aa balanced argument in the essay
Does anyone else have any advice/ discussion to offer around this topic?

Thanks

Tabby :)

Esuma

Re: Written essay questions on interview day- Advice please!

Post by Esuma » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:53 pm

I cheat a little bit in my structuring of essays in exams in that I usually leave the introduction until last! So what I do is I’ll write a plan of the essay including roughly what I’ll talk about in each paragraph then I’ll start writing the introduction but leave a big space and continue with the actual content. That way I find I have some more thinking time so if I change my mind in how I want to structure it and what I want to conclude the introduction still flows and looks structured and organised :lol: It sounds like you’ve got a good general plan for how to get tackle it in the future to me - now you’re more prepared hopefully it’ll be less of a horrible experience :)

Tabitha

Re: Written essay questions on interview day- Advice please!

Post by Tabitha » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:35 pm

Thank you so much for your reply! That's a really good tip! Yeah i'm a very visual person and i like to plan on paper initially.. maybe i'll be assertive and ask for some paper! :)