How to improve academic on application

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
collo16

How to improve academic on application

Post by collo16 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:30 am

Hi there,

I have utilised the search function but couldn't find the answer, so I was hoping people might be able to shed some light on my query. After 4 no interviews I am thinking about what to focus on next, this is helping me not to dwell on the no's and also to find something i'll enjoy for the next year. I am currently an AP in an EIP service, the role is permanent and have been here for 1.5 years, previously was hon ap in psychosis secondary. I am ready to leave definitely. I have mid 2.1 and merit MSc, which in normal careers is pretty good, given the competition of clinpsy I think might let me down. My question is, do I focus on search for an AP in a different service (my only experience has been in psychosis)or find a research role in order to build upon academic abilities? Different people suggest AP is the main one but I feel a clinical research project with a Uni might be the better option for myself.
If any shortlisters/successful applications can comment that would be great

Thank you and good luck to all those interviewing soon!

Esuma

Re: How to improve academic on application

Post by Esuma » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:48 am

It sounds like you have good experience, I would look at another AP role in a different population or a RA job where you can develop your research skills. I wouldn’t think you’d need anything else academic but if it’s something you’d really enjoy then go for it!

ell

Post by ell » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:57 am

A publication might help, worth considering if there is the opportunity to publish something within your current role, writing up and publishing your MSc dissertation, or looking at RA posts where you might be more likely to have your name on a paper.

maven
Site Admin

Post by maven » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:54 am

I'd get someone independent to have a look at your application form, as your academic and experience should be good enough to get more than a blanket of four nos, so I wonder if it is how you are selling what you have got. But I'd also second Ell's suggestion to try to publish a paper, as that stands out in a positive way on applications. And a new post with a different client group or an RA post might build your skills rather than more of the same. I wouldn't have thought that it is the academic side that is the weakness.
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare

collo16

Post by collo16 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:04 pm

Hi All,

Many thanks for all your replies, they are extremely helpful. I am currently 3rd author in a service evaluation from my current role that is looking to be submitted soon, so hopefully this would come to something. Maven I agree definitely with your point, I think my application form was a bit too much of saying everything I did without reflecting enough... it's just so easy to want to do this. I think building on my 'reflective thinking/writing' is something I need to do before the next round. I did have my CP supervisor look it over but obviously they can't write it for me. If anyone has any websites, books or links on how to be more reflective or deliver things reflectively that would be great. I think the 3000 character and anxiety of showing everything I had got the better of me
:)

halice93

Post by halice93 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:15 pm

I would recommend 'Reflective Practice in Psychotherapy and Counselling' by Jacqui Stedmon and Rudi Dallos. I may be slightly biased because i'm currently studying at Plymouth and Rudi and Jacqui are lecturers on the course. HOWEVER, in my first year applying, I interviewed at Plymouth and ended up on the reserve list, I then read this book and used a lot of it to help me rewrite my application. The following year I got two interviews and ended up with a place.