Time off NHS job for DClin interviews

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
sockmonkey

Time off NHS job for DClin interviews

Post by sockmonkey » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:33 pm

I have had a search of the forum but cant find a specific answer, I was wondering if NHS employers generally (either by policy or managers discretion) allow time off for DClin interviews?

I have an interview that requires me to travel and stay over night due to the distance of the course centre- but having spoken to my current supervisor who checked with HR within my NHS trust, I have been informed that they only allow 2 hours for internal interviews, but do not allow any time off for external interviews.

My previous clinical psychologist supervisor (in this role) made it clear that in my current role as an AP I would be allowed to take any interviews as study days under his discretion, but we have had a change of management and now it seems I have to either take it as annual leave or unpaid.

If it is common to have to take it as annual leave, il take it on the chin- it just feels frustrating that I was given a different message not so long ago...

alexh

Re: Time off NHS job for DClin interviews

Post by alexh » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:37 pm

Check the policy yourself, don't rely on what people tell you it says.

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:35 pm

The old NHS policy used to be that NHS jobs allowed time off for interviews for other jobs within the NHS that would be considered career progression, and all posts that were temporary allowed time off to seek a permanent post within the NHS. However, the nature of the NHS operating as different trusts means that increasingly each has their own terms and conditions. So I'd search your trust intranet and policy documents, and/or google to see if you can find out for yourself.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

JB99

Post by JB99 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:20 pm

I can add some clarity to this.

I was given "special leave" for my interview, as I had run out of annual leave for that year (the AL year end is 31/03, and my interview was 26/03). Special leave is allocated for training and development within the NHS.

It will, of course, depend on the decision of your line manager, and the specific policy of the trust. You obviously want to make sure you have a good relationship with your line manager.

Hope this helps.