IAPT versus AP

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
JB99

IAPT versus AP

Post by JB99 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:35 pm

Hi all.

My office offers placements to first year trainees, so I've had a chance to meet some of the successful candidates. I found out from them that at least 60% of the cohort or that course come from IAPT backgrounds, many of whom are qualified CBT therapists.

It made me think. I have experience of working as an AP (approximately 16 months). If I were to start looking for a new job, I could either look for another AP role or try the IAPT route. I always figured CBT qualifications via IAPT would be attractive on my CV.

Do you think it would it be more beneficial, in terms of securing a place on training, to pursue IAPT or another AP post?

N.B. I probably won't be moving yet, as I have the opportunity to conduct publishable research, but it's been on my mind for a while.

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
hawke

Re: IAPT versus AP

Post by hawke » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:05 pm

I would say it very much depends on the university. I interviewed at a uni last year, who told me that my interview was too IAPT-focused, and they had wanted broader experience from me. While great experience clinically, IAPT is a very narrow segment of the psychology world. The other thing IAPT severely lacks is research opportunities - having applied for CP for 2 years in a row now, I have spent a lot of time swotting up on stats and research before short-listing exams and interviews. It's only in my role as a senior PWP that I'm finding the opportunities to do some small scale research projects and service evaluations/audits, alongside supervision and training for colleagues. I also don't have direct CP supervision experience, although I have increasingly worked alongside CPs in services. I think it's quite hard to make IAPT experience stand out as well - I know a few colleagues who have applied to CP, and got nowhere despite their experience.

There's also the commitment for IAPT. It's not uncommon for people to take 2 or more attempts to get a training post, and many work as assistants in IAPT services beforehand. It takes at least 6 months to train as a PWP, and many trusts will get you to sign up to a minimum time with them after qualifying. The university for my area has an exclusion on PWPs applying for HI training for 2 years post-qualification. So despite the fact I've been in IAPT for over 3 years now, I can only apply for HI for 2019. So progression through IAPT is not quick (in terms of using it as pre-CP experience). I always flag up the ethics of using IAPT as pre-CP experience as well - the service struggles with turnover, partly because so many people use it as a stepping stone to other things rather than seeing it as a career in its own right.

However IAPT does have a reasonable career path, in terms of progression from assistant to PWP, and then on to HI training when you are then a qualified CBT therapist with all the benefits that brings. I like that I have a plan B for my career (although the fast shallow pace of IAPT is definitely not a sustainable life-long career for me!), if CP training doesn't happen for me. AP posts have always felt like a bit of an all-or-nothing gamble to me. I've also found it much easier to find work in my geographic area, whereas most people I know who have done AP posts have moved far and wide for them.

Bronwen1991

Re: IAPT versus AP

Post by Bronwen1991 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:42 pm

Hi

I worked as a senior assistant psychologist, then trained as a high intensity therapist with IAPT and this year I have now been offered a place on the DClinpsy at plymouth Uni.

So I would say it helped me....

But I agree it depends on the Uni.

My only note is that IAPT is a beast of its own. It is a hard, high volume service. This is more so for a PWP than a HI CBT therapist. PWP's in my service can have caseloads of about 100, and the waiting list for step 3 therapy is 6 months.
Just be prepared to manage a very high-volume of patients, and utilizing very small amounts of time to try and achieve therapeutic change.

My experience has been a positive one however, although I was never a PWP.

Best of luck whatever your choice of path.