Any interest in an applications webinar?

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
miriam
Site Admin

Any interest in an applications webinar?

Post by miriam » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:52 am

I've never been willing to do individual coaching for clinical applications, but I've been asked whether I'd do a webinar series to support people applying for clinical training this year. I was trying to think how this might work, and wondering whether there would be any interest in this, so I thought I'd put up a post and see what the response was.

The idea would be that I book a one hour slot twice a month from now until the end of the interview season, in which people can join me online and ask questions or join in activities to help them think about their application, and begin to prepare for assessments and interviews. The first session would be about presenting your experiences on the application form. If you subscribe but can't attend in person you'd be able to access the video of the event for the following 30 days. Hopefully that would reduce the time/travel/cost barriers for attending a whole day event - although I will probably still run some personal and professional development days in Jan/Feb if I can, as I think there is a lot to be gained from the experience of being physically part of that kind of day.

The costs would be £15 per month, with a discounted rate of £12 per month for anyone who is in a minority group that faces more barriers to accessing the profession (eg if you are disabled, a BME applicant, LGBTQ+, or have dependents). It would only be worth running if at least ten people were interested. If more than 15 people wish to join any session, I would try to schedule additional sessions so that each session functions as a small supportive group.

It would be helpful to know what you would want from such a group. I'm definitely not going to write anyone's forms for them, or give any insider information (I have none to give). But hopefully I can help you think through what you might want to say about your experiences, and how these might come across to someone who doesn't know you - first in written form on the application, and then at interview. Generally people who have come to my prior training events have said that it has been helpful to think and reflect about the process, and made them feel more confident as a result. If there is enough interest to take this idea forward, I hope that we can set a similar tone.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
laura96

Re: Any interest in an applications webinar?

Post by laura96 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:42 pm

Hi Miriam,
I would be really interested an applications webinar, it would be so helpful.
Thanks,
Laura

FiammettaAthena

Post by FiammettaAthena » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:56 pm

Hi Miriam,
Great idea, I'd certainly be interested.
Thanks,
Fiammetta

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:51 pm

I’m wondering about setting this up for 5th November webinar. Trying to work out whether 5pm or 8pm would be a better time. My rationale is that potentially the former is a time people could do from work after other commitments, the latter after most people get home. Let me know if you have an opinion.

I’ll put booking info up in the next few days.
Miriam

albot4000

Post by albot4000 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:29 pm

I would also be interested in a webinar!

Melissam

Post by Melissam » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:35 am

Hey!

Definitely interested!

GMcwha

Post by GMcwha » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:03 pm

You can add me to the list of those interested.

Emily

Post by Emily » Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:04 pm

Yes please, I would be interested in the Webinar. I would rather the 8pm :D

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:58 am

I'm not sure that six is enough to make it viable, and I've been very busy with other commitments, so I don't want to over commit. But I am prepared to review applications as I have done in previous years, in return for a donation to a charity of my choice. I'm hoping I can find an online way for people to donate directly to the charitable funds of our local primary school, who are fundraising to try to replace a broken interactive whiteboard. But if not we can go with another children's charity, like the NSPCC.
Miriam

benbrand

Post by benbrand » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:29 pm

miriam wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:58 am
I'm not sure that six is enough to make it viable, and I've been very busy with other commitments, so I don't want to over commit. But I am prepared to review applications as I have done in previous years, in return for a donation to a charity of my choice. I'm hoping I can find an online way for people to donate directly to the charitable funds of our local primary school, who are fundraising to try to replace a broken interactive whiteboard. But if not we can go with another children's charity, like the NSPCC.
I'd be very very interested in this! I am also very interested in the group sessions, but it'd be difficult for me as I live in California and there is an 8 hour time difference.

nicoleks

Post by nicoleks » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:22 am

Hi Miriam. This sounds like a great idea! I'd definitely be interested :)

louisemichelle

Post by louisemichelle » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:20 pm

I'd definitely be interested in this.

sazzlesaz

Post by sazzlesaz » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:20 pm

Hi Miriam

I would also be interested in both of your suggestions!

Sazzle

Cher92

Post by Cher92 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:16 pm

Hi,

I would be interested.

Cher

Fluffy92

Post by Fluffy92 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:41 pm

Hi Miriam, I am also interested in this.