DCLIN 2019 Edinburgh second interview

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
jason712

DCLIN 2019 Edinburgh second interview

Post by jason712 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:26 pm

The outcome of my Edinburgh interview was reserve. I got a call on Friday asking if I can come back to Edinburgh tomorrow for a second interview for Tayside. Been looking around and can't seem to find any mention of a second interview previously or who else has been invited.

I'm glad to have another chance but at the same time the nerves have come back and I really thought Friday would be over once and for all. Haha

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
Siogamue

Re: DCLIN 2019 Edinburgh second interview

Post by Siogamue » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:16 pm

Hi Jason712

How odd!? I think I read somewhere that they did this some years ago? The only thing that I can think of is that the staff from Tayside may want a say in who gets the place?

It’s probably a good thing that you haven’t heard about others who have been invited - it’s likely that there will only a very small amount of people.

Did you get feedback from your main interview?

jason712

Post by jason712 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:21 pm

Hi Siogamue

Thanks for the input. Yes I imagine so as well. I don't know where I was on the reserve list so this could work in my favour. Unfortunately I didn't get any feedback either though have reflected on it since. I'm hoping the silence from others is a good sign too.

The only thing I know is that the interview is 30 minutes long, less formal than the first and there are a few spaces. Trying to temper my expectations but hope it's good. Spent a small fortune coming from London on such short notice. I also made a mistake with my train ticket so had to buy a second one! Haha

Siogamue

Post by Siogamue » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:34 pm

Oh noooo!

You can get refunded for the one you didn’t use though right? What a nightmare!

If it is an informal one, it’s is probably going to be more about getting a feel for you personally - as I am sure you are aware - be human, smile. You’ve come this far, you deserve a place on the course.

I found it really helpful to get half hour of exercise in on the morning to get rid of some of the anxiety! :)

jason712

Post by jason712 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:45 pm

Thanks! That helps to settle my nerves a bit. Worse comes to worse this will be more practice for next year. Tayside was my first choice so this was pretty lucky as well!

Siogamue

Post by Siogamue » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:52 am

No Jason...not next year!!! This year! - that’s your mind trying to protect itself and in doing so, holding you back. This is a second chance that you will go in and smash! All the best of luck to you today :D

jason712

Post by jason712 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:37 am

Haha you're right! It's such an obvious defence mechanism. I finished an hour ago. Was nice. Won't go into detail of the questions as that's against the rules but they were a lot friendlier and it was less formal.

Was also told that there was a last minute space for NHS Borders so will be considered for that and Tayside as well. I think my answers were decent so hopefully my dream will finally start!

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:37 pm

Good luck Jason! Keeping my fingers crossed for you.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

Siogamue

Post by Siogamue » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:56 pm

Fabulous! I’m really glad there seemed like an opportunity to actually enjoy the interview :lol:

What is the position in NHS borders?

Did they let you know when you would hear??

jason712

Post by jason712 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:40 pm

Thanks Miriam!

I have no idea about NHS Borders. Just that I was interviewing for both. They initially said they'd let me know on the day then they said today but soon after I received an email. Apparently because some people couldn't make it for the interview yesterday they're interviewing them next week so I have to wait. I understand it has to be fair and that there are a few spaces available but it's a little frustrating that I travelled from London with 0 notice and paid a good bit of money showing my commitment but then others got away with it and were offered an interview a week away.

I just hope I get a position after all of this! I've spoken to a few people who are going next week. One even asking me what they asked as if I'd ever tell. Just have to sit with the anxiety for a week and focus on something else in the meantime. I do understand their process but little disappointed in the wait and also my anxiety is in overdrive wondering whether they don't think I'm suitable and that's why I have to wait lool. Have to CBT myself.

Siogamue

Post by Siogamue » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:55 pm

I’m really feeling for you right now! I too would be going into overdrive at this point. I am sure that the fact you were able to make it on such short notice will earn you brownie points as it shows motivation and determination.

Get stuck into your day-to-day, the week will fly by.

Your mind is panicking, be compassionate to it (I find ice cream helps...or an entire packet of chocolate hob nobs XD) - but then cardio...obvs.

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:20 pm

You've learnt you are good enough for training, so the only question is whether this is your year, and Tayside or Borders is your place. Worrying serves no purpose now, so just be kind to yourself and let the journey unfold in its own time.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

jason712

Post by jason712 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:45 pm

Thanks Siogamue and Miriam!

For the most part I've been able to distract myself but every now and then I get some anxious meta cognitions. Like just an hour ago I thought to myself what if I didn't get it and they just haven't told me.

All I can do is wait but this has been a real test of mental gymnastics. One second I'm feeling positive and the next I'm feeling negative and anxious. I know either way there isn't much I can do but to be so close and for that to be a rejection would suck so much.

Siogamue

Post by Siogamue » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:56 pm

Fingers crossed for you Jason! Do let us know how you get on!!! :D

jason712

Post by jason712 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:01 pm

So they finally contacted me. They want to keep me on reserve. So looks like it's finally over for me. Will not apply to Edinburgh again. The whole process was awful from the interview style to all of this. It's not the uni for me.