Can I make it?

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
nemoadam

Can I make it?

Post by nemoadam » Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:47 am

Hey everyone! I am new to this forum and after browsing for a long time, I got a bit anxious regarding the level of experience one must have in order to get into The clinical course.

I am A second year Psychology student currently on track for a first (hopefully, fingers crossed), so far my experiences are:
2 years working as a mental health supoort worker
1 year working as a disability support worker ( and currently work there)
6 month volunteering at a psychiatric ward in somalia
2 weeks volunteering at a psychiatric ward in Egypt

Is this enough??? I feel I have/am not doing enough, I wish to go straight onto the course after i graduate but it is starting to look a bit impossible :(

Thank you in advance :)

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
Randomswirls
Team Member

Re: Can I make it?

Post by Randomswirls » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:01 am

I didn’t have anywhere near the experience you did when I graduated from undergrad and am now a trainee. I know on the very odd occasion people have got on straight from undergrad but I would say the time before the doctorate when you are gaining experience is invaluable and I would in many ways love to go back and have some more time as an assistant to really hone some basic skills.

You are doing well with the experience so try and get the best academics you can and enjoy the journey!

Geishawife
Team Member

Post by Geishawife » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:14 am

Have your support worker jobs been full time or part time? If part time, you need to work out what their WTE is to see whether they add up to the minimum experience most courses ask for. But that aside, there are a couple of points that I think are worth reiterating. Firstly, it has been pointed out time and again on this forum that the AMOUNT of experience is not really the crucial thing. It is how you use that experience, what you gain from it and how you develop within it that matters. Someone with a year's experience who really uses that experience to good effect might be a far better candidate than someone who has 10 years experience but just "drifts" in whatever role and does not grow and develoip. So, try not to focus on how much experience you have and instead think about how it has benefited you in your gaol to be a CP.

Secondly, why the rush? What is the reason for you wanting to startt he doctorate as soon as you graduate? There really is no need to rush this career path and, in fact, taking a slightly more measured, less rushed approach, is likely to be more beneficial to you in the long run. So I would advise against aiming for this and, as Randomswirls suggests, focusing on your academics at this stage. If you are on track for a first, do not derail that by focusing (far too soon) on whether or not you experience is enough and doing too much outside of your academic work.

nemoadam

Post by nemoadam » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:01 pm

I am not really sure how to reply individually but thank you to everyone who has replied, to answer the question of " why the rush?", that is more about my viewpoint of the world and my upbringing. If i dont get in straight away, i will feel like a failure and it won't be looked upon favourably in my family and well, I have already gone thru dropping out of med school (first year), Now I am doing something I love and I really don't want to disappoint My self or my parents. I know this isn't the best viewpoint to have in life, and i will try not to be so hard on myself
My support work was part time and possibly adds up to a years experience if calculated.

To reply to randomswirls, thank you for the suggestion, I will focus more on what I have gained from these experiences and my academics will be my priority

Northernlad

Post by Northernlad » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:38 pm

It sounds like you have accrued lots of relevant experience, particularly so early on into your undergrad! I did nothing of relevance during my undergrad so essentially started from scratch when I graduated. I am a first year trainee now, yet it probably took me slightly longer to gain a place than the average candidate. However, I really valued the 8 years I had between courses as it prepared me well for what is an incredibly difficult course - I wouldn't underestimate that.

I am also wondering whether it is at all possible to gain a place straight after your undergraduate. To commence the course in the September that you graduate, you would need to apply for the round of applications at the end of this year. At this point you won't have graduate basis for registration which is a pre-requisite for entry. This means that you will have at least a year to gain experience once you complete your undergrad. With the experience you already have, I would be inclined to spend your final year working to ensure you secure that first, over accruing more experience, if possible!

I sympathise with the pressure you feel from your family, that must be tough. But I would prepare yourself for how you might manage your expectations and belief around failure if you don't immediately get on the course. Statistically, this is a likely possibility and so finding ways to manage this and become more compassionate toward yourself might be helpful.

Good luck!
NL

Esuma

Post by Esuma » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:20 pm

I would try really hard to set more realistic expectations for yourself and your family about the chances of getting straight on the course. If you are likely to feel like a failure this is not going to be a fun experience! I had realistically low expectations and am feeling rubbish enough as it is, it’s a very draining and long application process so try to be kind to yourself and focus on the journey and what you’re doing now

maven
Site Admin

Post by maven » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:18 am

nemoadam wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:01 pm
I am not really sure how to reply individually but thank you to everyone who has replied, to answer the question of " why the rush?", that is more about my viewpoint of the world and my upbringing. If i dont get in straight away, i will feel like a failure and it won't be looked upon favourably in my family and well, I have already gone thru dropping out of med school (first year), Now I am doing something I love and I really don't want to disappoint My self or my parents. I know this isn't the best viewpoint to have in life, and i will try not to be so hard on myself
My support work was part time and possibly adds up to a years experience if calculated.

To reply to randomswirls, thank you for the suggestion, I will focus more on what I have gained from these experiences and my academics will be my priority
You need to address this entirely unrealistic mindset in yourself, and then in those around you. Why put needless pressure on yourself? Why consider anything less than the fastest route to a goal a failure? Its nonsensical, and serves no constructive purpose. I think it very unlikely you'll get straight onto a doctoral course, as you've never done work supervised by a CP, and as it stands you likely have very limited insight into what the role involves. There are thousands of applicants who will have more than the minimum experience, and less than 1% of applicants get on straight from undergrad, so you'd have to write an extraordinary application to gain a place with just the bare minimum and coming fresh off an undergrad degree. It sounds like applying to be the boss of a company before you've worked your way up. My best advice is to try to find a way to enjoy the journey and the experience you gain along the way, and let go of this attempt to short-cut the process, and the immediate success or failure mindset.
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare

HWoody

Post by HWoody » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:46 am

Hi nemoadam

Would it be a good idea to show your parents the top threads on this page (how many times did you apply / what experience did you have / how many years after graduation did you get a place) to show them that the norm is that it takes a number of years post graduation for most people to succeed in getting a place?

Another possible alternative if time is a priority in getting qualified is to explore self-funded options, such as counselling psychology or healthy psychology doctorates, or a self-funded DClinPsy?

Although it looks like the more expensive option I guess that is weighed up against years of low paid work / honorary placements, as well as maybe feeling more in control of your destiny.