Publications and Dissemination section

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
LolaSun

Publications and Dissemination section

Post by LolaSun » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:48 pm

Dear Colleagues,

Do you know of anyone who was offered a place on the doctorate without having publications?
Also, other than conference presentations/posters, what other dissemination work have you included (or you think it would be appropriate to include) in this section?

hawke

Re: Publications and Dissemination section

Post by hawke » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:59 pm

I am on the doctorate and still have no publications - or even conference presentations/posters. I don't explicitly know of anyone on my cohort who has.

I included public engagement work I have done (e.g. giving talks at local community groups), along with any within-service dissemination of my work (e.g. internal reports and events), but I don't know if that helped my application or not. Some universities have very detailed short-listing procedures if you dig around on their websites.

LolaSun

Post by LolaSun » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:53 pm

hawke wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:59 pm
I am on the doctorate and still have no publications - or even conference presentations/posters. I don't explicitly know of anyone on my cohort who has.

I included public engagement work I have done (e.g. giving talks at local community groups), along with any within-service dissemination of my work (e.g. internal reports and events), but I don't know if that helped my application or not. Some universities have very detailed short-listing procedures if you dig around on their websites.
Thank you so much for your answer. Very helpful indeed!

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:18 am

My advice with the form in general and this specific section: don't try to fill up the space. If you don't have the thing they are asking for, leave it blank. So if you have a conference presentation or a presentation to your wider service, list it briefly and that's it. Don't scrabble around for other things that might be suitable. And don't, as several people who have sent me forms to review recently, try to list research or audit or service evaluation without a dissemination element. Dissemination is not the gathering of knowledge, it is the sharing knowledge with others in a formal way.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

mchurley

Post by mchurley » Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:36 pm

Hello,

I have also been successful on getting on to the doctorate without any publications. I put in all service development projects I've done, such as inputting into care pathways, service evaluations or audits. Most services or trusts have newsletters or something similar and I wrote some really small pieces in there and classed that as a publication, they can also be referenced even though it was like 2 paragraphs summarising a piece of work or service update.

Good luck with your application, publications are definitely not a must!!

maven
Site Admin

Post by maven » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:03 pm

mchurley wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:36 pm
I put in all service development projects I've done, such as inputting into care pathways, service evaluations or audits. Most services or trusts have newsletters or something similar and I wrote some really small pieces in there and classed that as a publication, they can also be referenced even though it was like 2 paragraphs summarising a piece of work or service update.

I'm not sure these kinds of things will be given too much credit, and if there isn't a clear dissemination element there is a risk it will look like you are stretching to cover deficits, or that you don't know what dissemination means.
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare

mchurley

Post by mchurley » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:13 pm

maven wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:03 pm
mchurley wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:36 pm
I put in all service development projects I've done, such as inputting into care pathways, service evaluations or audits. Most services or trusts have newsletters or something similar and I wrote some really small pieces in there and classed that as a publication, they can also be referenced even though it was like 2 paragraphs summarising a piece of work or service update.

I'm not sure these kinds of things will be given too much credit, and if there isn't a clear dissemination element there is a risk it will look like you are stretching to cover deficits, or that you don't know what dissemination means.
I think that all of those topics can be seen as dissemination of your work as service development opportunities, service evaluation and audit are highly important and part of the core competences of a clinical psychologist. Obviously I'm no expert and you shouldn't just make things up, but I managed to gain 3 interviews from my application last year and my dissemination section was purely based around those that I mentioned.

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:51 pm

mchurley wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:13 pm
I think that all of those topics can be seen as dissemination of your work as service development opportunities, service evaluation and audit are highly important and part of the core competences of a clinical psychologist. Obviously I'm no expert and you shouldn't just make things up, but I managed to gain 3 interviews from my application last year and my dissemination section was purely based around those that I mentioned.
It may have been a good application overall, and clearly putting extra stuff in there didn't preclude you from being successful, but dissemination is the formal sharing of information through publications or presentations, and is distinct from research, audit and service evaluation. Even though these are valuable CP competencies (that should be mentioned in your main section), they only become relevant to dissemination if you publish or present them formally to share that information with others - normally in such a way that a large audience can have access to them.

I'm happy to hear from course staff and shortlisters for courses, but as I understand it the points that will be awarded for content in this box are for dissemination activities that are quite strictly defined, so putting other stuff in there isn't likely to enhance your likelihood of success. And in the hundreds of applications I've reviewed over the last decade, putting in irrelevant information into boxes often means you are missing out the content that the shortlister is actually looking for and at worst can make it seem like you can't prioritise salient information - which is another really important CP skill.
Miriam

han10

Post by han10 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:34 am

I have shortlisted several times for 1 course and I would agree with Miriam - keep it to dissemination as outlined on the form. Keep it brief and don't feel you have to fill all the box. For the course I shortlist for I am asked to rate the overall quality of the form as one part - if it added to my feeling that the candidate was trying to exaggerate their skills or did not appreciate what they were being asked to provide it would affect my rating.

I know I wanted to share everything I had ever done on my form when I was in that position but quality is also as important as quantity (probably more so).

This is just my approach and may be different from other shortlisters - there are failings in the form and selection process but that is a separate post!

han10

Post by han10 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:25 am

Also to add - in my (albeit somewhat limited) experience not every form/candidate has disseminated work and they can be a good candidate without this so don't feel you have to put something in

LolaSun

Post by LolaSun » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:07 am

miriam wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:51 pm
mchurley wrote:
It may have been a good application overall, and clearly putting extra stuff in there didn't preclude you from being successful, but dissemination is the formal sharing of information through publications or presentations, and is distinct from research, audit and service evaluation. Even though these are valuable CP competencies (that should be mentioned in your main section), they only become relevant to dissemination if you publish or present them formally to share that information with others - normally in such a way that a large audience can have access to them.

I'm happy to hear from course staff and shortlisters for courses, but as I understand it the points that will be awarded for content in this box are for dissemination activities that are quite strictly defined, so putting other stuff in there isn't likely to enhance your likelihood of success. And in the hundreds of applications I've reviewed over the last decade, putting in irrelevant information into boxes often means you are missing out the content that the shortlister is actually looking for and at worst can make it seem like you can't prioritise salient information - which is another really important CP skill.
Hi Miriam,

What if one's disseminations have influenced Trust policies and decision making but results were only presented to the Trust executive board/clinical panels or teams (or at Trust events), but such evidence was not shared with a larger audience (outside the NHS Trust in question)?
Perhaps this wouldn't determine the allocation of points, but may still enhance the application overall, as demonstrating a candidate's ability to concretely apply research with a tangible impact for the service they worked for?

Lola
Last edited by LolaSun on Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

mchurley

Post by mchurley » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:40 am

miriam wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:51 pm
mchurley wrote:

Yes I completely agree with a lot of things you've said. In my mind creating a care pathway, which is implemented service wide and writing about the outcomes of a service evaluation and/or audit which changes a services processes and is then shared through a publication in the trust newsletter, is classed as dissemination to me. I know this would not reach the same standards as a peer-reviewed publication, but I still think these are good examples of dissemination which are relevant to this section.

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:58 pm

LolaSun wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:07 am
Hi Miriam,

What if one's disseminations have influenced Trust policies and decision making but results were only presented to the Trust executive board/clinical panels or teams (or at Trust events), but such evidence was not shared with a larger audience (outside the NHS Trust in question)?
Perhaps this wouldn't determine the allocation of points, but may still enhance the application overall, as demonstrating a candidate's ability to concretely apply research with a tangible impact for the service they worked for?

Lola
I'd put them in, briefly, if you don't have any publications or conference presentations, as I'd see them as dissemination but not at a competitive or formal peer-review level.
Miriam

Spatch

Post by Spatch » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:24 pm

As posted in another thread, I used to short list. It was in 2015, so may be a bit out of the loop. First, every course has a different emphasis so that plays a part. However, IIRC there was a bit of a hierarchy which roughly went

High Tier:
Peer reviewed article in high impact top journal (Lancet, etc)
Peer reviewed article in decent journal -first author
Main author in major textbooks and similar (e.g. If you wrote something like Andy Fields guide to SPSS which we all know about)
National level dissemination (Government, Department of Health, NICE guideline level)

Tier 2)
Co author in decemt peer reviewed journal,
PhDs published in monograph type formats,
First author lower impact journal, (e.g. Clinical psychology Forum)
Major Conference posters and presentations

Tier 4)

Service audits/ evaluations at Service/ Trust level
Student awards at university level

Not an exact science that covers everything but gives you a rough idea of how things contrast. I personally think its okay to cite whatever you have, but be aware that it may leave a certain impression you if you are talking about how important an audit of your CAMHS waiting list, while the person afterwards has a publication list like David Clarks'.
Shameless plug alert:

Irrelevant Experience: The Secret Diary of an Assistant Psychologist is available at Amazon
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Irrelevant-Expe ... 00EQFE5JW/