2020 round - Offering help reviewing applications for marginalised applicants

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
rhapsodyinred

2020 round - Offering help reviewing applications for marginalised applicants

Post by rhapsodyinred » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:13 pm

Hi everyone :)

Nearly every year, I offer to review applications/personal statements for people who are marginalised in some way (eg. BME, disabled, queer, and first generation applicants). This is free! I do this to help make higher education, academia, and clinical professions more representative - and I recognise that accessing higher education if often inequitable.

A couple of notes:
- I can't review more than 20 applications, sorry!
- I will *not* write your application or PS for you.
- If I have previously helped with your applications, I can't do it again this year, sorry.
- I am happy to chat by Skype about how you can represent your strengths and experiences if that's something that would be helpful.
- I am happy to review/edit for grammar and spelling, and give pointers on where things might benefit from being rephrased.
- I can't guarantee you're going to get in! Please don't get upset at me if you don't get an offer :(

Also - I really don't like doing this, but I'd appreciate it if people could mention how they feel they fit into the groups I've highlighted above (BME, disabled, queer/LGBTQ+, care experienced, and first generation applicants). By first generation I mean that you are the first person in your family to go to uni. I'm going on goodwill here and certainly not going to ask for "marginalised person credentials", I just have limited time and am really trying to offer support to people who are disadvantaged by the application and/or selection process. If these identities don't describe you but you feel you still are disadvantaged in some way, you can still pm me and I'll see on a case-by-case basis.

If you're not within the groups I mentioned, I'd encourage you to reflect on how a good clinician supports and empowers others to achieve their goals, and the importance of cultural competency and being aware of disadvantage. That sort of reflection is definitely helpful when writing your application, and when interviewing.

Please PM me with your initials or first name in the subject line if you think this would be helpful for you.

If it helps, I'm a second year trainee and got in on my first application round (three interviews, two offers) with a masters and honours undergrad. I've been a freelance editor for 8 years.

(Mods, this is an edited repost of last year, hope that's okay!)

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
SJ184

Re: 2020 round - Offering help reviewing applications for marginalised applicants

Post by SJ184 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:54 am

Hi,

I’ve sent you a PM.

Many thanks,
S

Aanneett

Re: 2020 round - Offering help reviewing applications for marginalised applicants

Post by Aanneett » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:16 pm

Hi,
That sounds very helpful. I've just sent you a message.

Thank you!

Brio52

Post by Brio52 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:24 pm

I've sent a pm, this is a fantastic thing to do :D

rhapsodyinred

Post by rhapsodyinred » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:15 am

Folks!

PLEASE include your initials in the subject line of your message!!! I've said it already in the post above. I'm a scattered person atm because life is pretty hectic and keeping track of 20 different people is hard when most messages say "help reviewing application".

Also I am to get back to you in a week with a review, and will be away November 2nd-16th with no computer access. Factor in time accordingly.

TilaRobinson

Re: 2020 round - Offering help reviewing applications for marginalised applicants - TR

Post by TilaRobinson » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:38 pm

Hello can I have one done please?

carineton

Post by carineton » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:35 am

Hello is it possible to have you look at my personal statement?

Thanks