UEL/Surrey/Salomans assessment day

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
suuzee
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:39 am

UEL/Surrey/Salomans assessment day

Post by suuzee » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:12 pm

Hi all,

I was invited to sit a selection test for UEL last year (but not Surrey). I was not invited to interview after sitting the test at UEL. This year I plan to apply to these uni's again + Salomans

I revised my statistics and ran through all the practice tests available, however I found the questions covered in the actual test to be way harder than those in the practice tests.

Does anyone have any revision advice or resources which were found to be of use? I would really like to do better on these tests this year

Thanks!

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
jprandom
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:24 pm

Re: UEL/Surrey/Salomans assessment day

Post by jprandom » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:39 pm

Hey,

As you've not sat the Saloman's & Surrey tests before, please hold in mind that literal statistical knowledge actually comprises a small percentage of the overall test day! Plus, the statistical component aims to probe your ability to extract and understand applied data in context. I would therefore recommend reading through some textbooks (Andy Field remains my go-to) but then also look at articles that have utilised those methods. Good way to practice interpreting data and become more familiar with the different terms that are used. Don't neglect research methods either!

I wouldn't rely on past exam papers, they give you an idea of the format but I've found they don't reflect the level required on the day.

Remember there is also a situational judgment task, and Surrey has a written task. This involves synthesizing and reporting information quickly so practicing those skills would also be important!

Hope this is helpful. Good Luck! :D

suuzee
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:39 am

Re: UEL/Surrey/Salomans assessment day

Post by suuzee » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:30 pm

Thanks for the reply, I'll dig out my Andy Fields in that case.

Yes I know there are other aspects of the test, so i'll bear that in mind when revising.

Thank you for the help :D

clinlecturer
Posts: 52
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:33 am

Re: UEL/Surrey/Salomans assessment day

Post by clinlecturer » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:46 pm

jprandom wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:39 pm
Hey,

As you've not sat the Saloman's & Surrey tests before, please hold in mind that literal statistical knowledge actually comprises a small percentage of the overall test day! Plus, the statistical component aims to probe your ability to extract and understand applied data in context. I would therefore recommend reading through some textbooks (Andy Field remains my go-to) but then also look at articles that have utilised those methods. Good way to practice interpreting data and become more familiar with the different terms that are used. Don't neglect research methods either!

I wouldn't rely on past exam papers, they give you an idea of the format but I've found they don't reflect the level required on the day.

Remember there is also a situational judgment task, and Surrey has a written task. This involves synthesizing and reporting information quickly so practicing those skills would also be important!

Hope this is helpful. Good Luck! :D
Good advice from someone who made it onto the course.

jels256
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:07 pm

Re: UEL/Surrey/Salomans assessment day

Post by jels256 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:04 pm

Hello!

Thanks for the above info - really helpful.

Re. Surrey assessment - is the only past paper available here: https://www.canterbury.ac.uk/social-and ... -Final.pdf and here https://www.canterbury.ac.uk/social-and ... -paper.pdf ? Or are there more resources online?

Thanks & good luck ! :D

jc619
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:37 pm

Re: UEL/Surrey/Salomans assessment day

Post by jc619 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:12 pm

Hi there,

This is really helpful to know, thanks for your comment!

With regards to the written test, do you know how long we have to complete this part of the task?

Thanks!
jprandom wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:39 pm
Hey,

As you've not sat the Saloman's & Surrey tests before, please hold in mind that literal statistical knowledge actually comprises a small percentage of the overall test day! Plus, the statistical component aims to probe your ability to extract and understand applied data in context. I would therefore recommend reading through some textbooks (Andy Field remains my go-to) but then also look at articles that have utilised those methods. Good way to practice interpreting data and become more familiar with the different terms that are used. Don't neglect research methods either!

I wouldn't rely on past exam papers, they give you an idea of the format but I've found they don't reflect the level required on the day.

Remember there is also a situational judgment task, and Surrey has a written task. This involves synthesizing and reporting information quickly so practicing those skills would also be important!

Hope this is helpful. Good Luck! :D

Smallblonde02
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:29 pm

Re: UEL/Surrey/Salomans assessment day

Post by Smallblonde02 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:56 pm

The written task was 45 minutes last year
jc619 wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:12 pm
Hi there,

This is really helpful to know, thanks for your comment!

With regards to the written test, do you know how long we have to complete this part of the task?

Thanks!
jprandom wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:39 pm
Hey,

As you've not sat the Saloman's & Surrey tests before, please hold in mind that literal statistical knowledge actually comprises a small percentage of the overall test day! Plus, the statistical component aims to probe your ability to extract and understand applied data in context. I would therefore recommend reading through some textbooks (Andy Field remains my go-to) but then also look at articles that have utilised those methods. Good way to practice interpreting data and become more familiar with the different terms that are used. Don't neglect research methods either!

I wouldn't rely on past exam papers, they give you an idea of the format but I've found they don't reflect the level required on the day.

Remember there is also a situational judgment task, and Surrey has a written task. This involves synthesizing and reporting information quickly so practicing those skills would also be important!

Hope this is helpful. Good Luck! :D

ClinPsyHopeful
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:23 am

Re: UEL/Surrey/Salomans assessment day

Post by ClinPsyHopeful » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:55 pm

Hi everyone, I tried searching the forum but haven't had no luck. Was wondering if anyone knows when applicants are likely to be invited to sit assessments for UEl/Surrey/Salomons?

Speaker
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:44 pm

Re: UEL/Surrey/Salomans assessment day

Post by Speaker » Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:40 pm

All the information is on the clearing house website https://www.leeds.ac.uk/chpccp/aftershortlist.html The final batch of applications are released to the course centres on Friday and the assessment day for Surrey is listed as the 15th February. I'd expect you'll hear something soon but if you meet the minimum criteria you'll be invited so when you hear isn't that important (albeit anxiety provoking)

ClinPsyHopeful
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:23 am

Re: UEL/Surrey/Salomans assessment day

Post by ClinPsyHopeful » Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:47 pm

Thanks Speaker! I've read the clearing house website a dozen times but I guess my anxiety is playing up a bit..hehe :oops:

clinlecturer
Posts: 52
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:33 am

Re: UEL/Surrey/Salomans assessment day

Post by clinlecturer » Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:47 am

We are processing your applications and will email everyone in the next few days.

veritylm
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed May 08, 2019 7:52 am

Re: UEL/Surrey/Salomans assessment day

Post by veritylm » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:50 am

Colleague applying for UEL got his invitation to assessment day yesterday. Last year, I applied to UEL and got my invitation exactly one week before. This year, I've applied to Salomons and not heard anything yet (and I definitely meet minimum criteria, so I'm 99% sure I'll be asked to sit the tests). Hope that helps!

ClinPsyHopeful
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:23 am

Re: UEL/Surrey/Salomans assessment day

Post by ClinPsyHopeful » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:14 pm

veritylm wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:50 am
Colleague applying for UEL got his invitation to assessment day yesterday. Last year, I applied to UEL and got my invitation exactly one week before. This year, I've applied to Salomons and not heard anything yet (and I definitely meet minimum criteria, so I'm 99% sure I'll be asked to sit the tests). Hope that helps!
Thanks veritylm! Unfortunately I didn't get invited for assessment and I thought I definitely met the minimum criteria :(
Oh well, better luck next time I hope.

nightfury
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:34 pm

Re: UEL/Surrey/Salomans assessment day

Post by nightfury » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:42 pm

Anyone who has applied to this, I’m struggling to find any evidence of any past papers? I found one example of the MCQ but none of the other bits.

Anyone got any idea where to find these?

AngieAndersson
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:40 pm

Re: UEL/Surrey/Salomans assessment day

Post by AngieAndersson » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:26 pm

I tried and tried but couldn't find any either.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MSN [Bot] and 12 guests