Courses with lower clinical experience thresholds

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
Psypsy347

Courses with lower clinical experience thresholds

Post by Psypsy347 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:09 am

Hi all

I have 1 year of part-time clinical experience delivering CBT at the time of applying. I recognise that this is not a lot so my chances will be slim but I think my application is stronger in other areas, and the experience is at least very relevant.

I have done a lot of reading about the different courses and their requirements but before submitting I was hoping to check that I'm maximising my chances by applying to courses which would be most likely accept this level of experience. I was thinking that courses might publish a minimum requirement but in reality some may tend to favour those with more extensive experience more than others.

I think there are a few courses without a minimum experience requirement or with a 6 month requirement.

Has anyone with a modest amount of experience successfully gained a place on a course, and if so, which? Or does anyone know from the grapevine which tend to be more (or less) acceptinq of those with less clinical experience?

So far, the possible list includes:
UEA
Trent
IoP
Oxford
Holloway
Lancaster

Any thoughts would be much appreciated, thanks very much!

RJParker

Re: Courses with lower clinical experience thresholds

Post by RJParker » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:09 am

Glad you've got Lancaster on the list - we regularly recruit trainees without any clinical experience. Best of luck!

Psypsy347

Post by Psypsy347 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:39 pm

Thanks for the info!

I've emailed two different courses to clarify their requirements and one said they calculate the experience up to the date of application and the other said it was to the point of entry next year.

Does anyone know if one of these is the standard or if I'll need to read the exact wording of each course again to see if it said by date of entry or by application date?

Thanks again for any help!

Punkgirluk

Post by Punkgirluk » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:28 pm

I’m a first year trainee at Salomons and a number of my cohort have very limited clinical experience and certainly my experience of the interview process was that it was more focused on personal qualities and potential than past experience so that may be one to add to your list.

Psypsy347

Post by Psypsy347 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:03 am

Thanks for the suggestion, I'd missed that one in my list actually.

Just checked and they need one year min. unfortunately though! For this intake anyway. Always one to consider for next year if need be :)