Screening test change at Lancaster / Plymouth / Cardiff / Manchester / Exeter

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
RJParker

Screening test change at Lancaster / Plymouth / Cardiff / Manchester / Exeter

Post by RJParker » Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:22 pm

Hi all,

We have agreed that we will be swapping out the numerical subtest and replacing this with a deductive reasoning test. This measures the same underlying construct as the verbal and numerical tests but in a slightly different way - it's much more interactive (and I think both more fun).

SHL don't currently have a practice test on their site as it is so new but the question style is similar to many other widely available deductive reasoning tests. Practice questions are available within the live test for you to take before starting the actual test itself and it is important that everyone does these before starting the tests.

All the programmes that Lancaster work with to do screening (Plymouth / Cardiff / Manchester / Exeter) are moving to the combination of verbal and deductive sub tests although their websites may not reflect this immediately.

Rob
Last edited by RJParker on Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
Mephistofela

Re: Screening test change at Lancaster / Plymouth / Cardiff / Manchester

Post by Mephistofela » Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:54 pm

Thank you for letting us know! Will this also be the case for Exeter?

Speaker

Re: Screening test change at Lancaster / Plymouth / Cardiff / Manchester

Post by Speaker » Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:13 pm

Appreciate the update!

RJParker

Re: Screening test change at Lancaster / Plymouth / Cardiff / Manchester / Exeter

Post by RJParker » Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:13 pm

Argh, missed Exeter. Yes, also Exeter.

gilmore94

Re: Screening test change at Lancaster / Plymouth / Cardiff / Manchester / Exeter

Post by gilmore94 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:33 pm

Thanks for the update, although I find it frustrating that this is being changed AFTER applications have been submitted.

RJParker

Post by RJParker » Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:58 pm

I'll just repeat, the tests measure the same underlying construct.

gilmore94

Post by gilmore94 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:10 pm

RJParker wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:58 pm
I understand what you’re saying, however, the way in which it measures the construct could differ. That could mean that a candidate who previously scored well on these tests may score lower as it’s not suited to them. That said, I hope it’s more relevant to the skills needed as a clinical psychologist, rather than testing mathematical ability as the numerical reasoning sometimes did.

RJParker

Post by RJParker » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:43 am

gilmore94 wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:10 pm
RJParker wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:58 pm
I understand what you’re saying, however, the way in which it measures the construct could differ. That could mean that a candidate who previously scored well on these tests may score lower as it’s not suited to them. That said, I hope it’s more relevant to the skills needed as a clinical psychologist, rather than testing mathematical ability as the numerical reasoning sometimes did.
The screening tests are not intended to test skills needed as a clinical psychologist - that's what the 3 years of training is for.