2020 Clinical Doctorate Application Progress Thread

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
xxpoogletxx

Re: 2020 Clinical Doctorate Application Progress Thread

Post by xxpoogletxx » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:35 pm

xxpoogletxx wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:38 pm
xxpoogletxx wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:55 am
This is my second year applying, last year I was on the interview reserve list for Leeds and Edinburgh but unfortunately did not receive a call to interview.

This year I'm incredibly excited to say:
Lancaster (sat test)
Leeds
Edinburgh (done extra questions)
Trent (sat test)

EEEEEEEEEEKKKKK!!!!!
Double eeeek!! Feeling a bit overwhelmed at the moment!
Well the results are all finally in, I'm ridiculously chuffed with 3/4. Trying to let go of the disappointment at not getting a chance at Leeds, as it was my first choice but am so excited to have 3 shots at this! Congratulations to everyone who got interviews and for everyone who didn't, things can massively change in a year, I was all reds and oranges last year!

janus

Post by janus » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:07 pm

janus wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:48 pm
janus wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:56 pm
Second time applying.

Teesside
Leicester (sat shortlisting test)
Liverpool
Leeds

Good luck everyone!
Now:

Teesside
Liverpool
Leeds

Frustrating as was 3rd on reserve list for Leicester last year.
Update...

Teesside
Liverpool
Leeds

Still can't believe it! Absolutely over the moon. My first interviews, second time applying :-)

Zephyr94

Post by Zephyr94 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:24 am

First time applying

Glasgow
UCL
Edinburgh
Bath

Zephyr94

Post by Zephyr94 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:05 am

Zephyr94 wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:24 am
First time applying

Glasgow
UCL
Edinburgh
Bath
I am honestly more disappointed than expected. I believe I had a good application, especially for Edinburgh.
GL to everyone having interviews!!

altruisticmall

Post by altruisticmall » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:07 am

I previously posted about my rejections. 2016 - 2019 was a straight series of rejections from all universities....
Glasgow, Manchester, UEL, RHUL, UCL, Salomons... the list goes on.

This year:
Glasgow
Edinburgh
Leeds
Newcastle

I am not posting this to gloat. Rather just to reiterate the nebulous, confusing process this so often is for so many of us.

LalliRed

Post by LalliRed » Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:06 am

altruisticmall wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:07 am
I previously posted about my rejections. 2016 - 2019 was a straight series of rejections from all universities....
Glasgow, Manchester, UEL, RHUL, UCL, Salomons... the list goes on.

This year:
Glasgow
Edinburgh
Leeds
Newcastle

I am not posting this to gloat. Rather just to reiterate the nebulous, confusing process this so often is for so many of us.
Congrats!!! Do you know how many people will be interviewed for Glasgow? I know there are 25 places but I can’t find details of the number of interviewees.

Esuma

Post by Esuma » Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:32 pm

Esuma wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:04 pm
Third year applying for me, this year to:

Surrey (exam sat)
Oxford
Southampton
Royal Holloway
Well that’s that. Not sure I’m putting myself through this process again. We’ll see!

ukstern

Post by ukstern » Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:30 pm

ukstern wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:17 pm
1st year applying for me! I'm 36 and have had career changes along the way, so this is the first time I've felt truly ready for this process.

My heart is in the Highlands, so...

Edinburgh (test and questions completed)
Glasgow

Fingers crossed and good luck!
Not meant to be this year!

Cynth

Post by Cynth » Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:57 pm

Cynth wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:41 am
Hey everyone!

First-time applicant :)
-Leicester(sat test)
-Liverpool
-Leeds
-Teeside

I promise I didn't plan to choose universities beginning with L's, hope it doesn't bite me :D
UPDATE:
Leisceter(sat test)
Leeds
Teeside
Liverpool
feeling chuffed to get a chance on my first try and with my number one choice. As my supervisor said, it only takes one. Sending Positive vibes to all :)

CatJG

Post by CatJG » Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:40 pm

Hi all,

First-time poster, long-term lurker! After 4 years of rejections I'm super excited to have the opportunity to interview this year (5th year applying!)

Leicester (Sat test)
Cov/Warwick
Hertfordshire
Birmingham

swtwc

Post by swtwc » Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:41 pm

Hi all, first-time applicant here (2:1 in BSc Psychology, 3 years’ AP experience).

Birmingham
Essex
Salomons (sat tests)
Southampton

Best wishes to everyone going to interviews! Commiserations to the rest... all things in good time.

RHBrown123

Post by RHBrown123 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:51 pm

Hi all,

Long time lurker here and first-time applicant as I felt I was ready to start my dclin journey. My backstory...

Academic:

BSc Hons Biological Sciences with Psychology (2:1)
MSc Psychological Research (Merit)
Psychology PhD (investigating mental health symptomology and epidemiology in the general populace) (Pass with minor corrections)
4 papers currently under peer review

Clinical/Additional Experience

3 years volunteer support worker at a play group for children with autism (during Easter and Summer holidays) during my undergrad
2 years as an undergraduate tutor
1 year RA post (current job)

And my results (drumroll)

Edinburgh (tests done)
Glasgow

I think what let me down is my lack of any AP posts or supervision by a clinical psychologist. Hoping I can get some papers published under my belt and some more clinical experience by the time the 2021 intake applications are due. As always, massive congrats to the people who have interviews this year!! :D And for us with the reds across the board, I all send you a hug. It's been 2 days since I got my final rejection and I can still feel the sting.

ag9437

Post by ag9437 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:37 pm

I feel I must post this for those who were not successful this year in gaining an interview. I moved into the psychology field a little later (mid 20s). I have applied 4 times with the following results:

Degrees:
BSc Neuroscience (Hons) - 2:1 - 2015
MSc Psychology (Conversion) - Pass - 2016
PG.Dip CBT for Anxiety and Depression (IAPT) - Distinction - 2019

Relevant Experience: Over the past 3 years
3 months as a voluntary Research Assistant
A few shifts as a band 2 bank Health Care Assistant over 2 months
3 months as a band 4 Graudate mental health worker
1 year as a band 5 Assistant Psychologist
1 year as a band 6 trainee CBT therapist
6 months so far as a band 7 qualified high intensity CBT therapist - Current post.

2016/17 - aged 26 (applied before I graduated in conversion course)

Oxford
Trent (invited to test day)
Cardiff (invited to online test)
Kings

2017/2018 - aged 27

Oxford
Kings
Cov & Warwick
QUB

2018/2019 - aged 28

UCL
Cov & Warwick - feedback form from uni had a written statement stating 'encourage to apply again'
Birmingham
QUB

2019/2020 - aged 29

Birmingham
Cov & Warwick

Manchester (invited to online test) - they won't tell us what number on reserve list
QUB

So I just wanted to say please please continue to persevere if this is what you want to do as it will come to you, but do not put your life on hold for it either, you are so capable in this field and there are multiple avenues into being able to be a qualified clinician within psychology such as my current role and this will only strengthen your applications further. Who knows If I will be successful this year however I know if I am not then I am still making progress in my career and following my passion within psychology. Good luck to you all! :)

OverApps

Post by OverApps » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:26 am

OverApps wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:28 pm
OverApps wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:09 pm
Long time lurker first time poster. First year applying.

Newcastle
Edinburgh (sat tests)
Trent (invited to tests)
Bangor

Best of luck all - bring it on.
Newcastle
Edinburgh (sat tests)
Trent (invited to tests)
Bangor

Not too surprised re: Newcastle. Now just to wait for Edinburgh! Best of luck to everyone - I am fortunate to have had some interviews and luck with educational psychology doctorates this year so I don't feel as much pressure as I did a few months ago, but thinking of everyone and hope everyone is being kind to yourselves. We're all flipping great lads.
Newcastle
Edinburgh (sat tests)
Trent (invited to tests)
Bangor

Heard from Edinburgh around 5.30pm on the closing date. Obviously my Situational Judgement Test left a lot to be desired hahaha. I didn't sit the Trent tests because I had a rake of edpsych interviews around that time. Getting on reserve for Bangor was definitely exciting!

Given the anxiety surrounding coronavirus at the moment, my perspective of getting on this year has shifted somewhat. It feels like there is a lot of uncertainty in the world and my uncertainty about whether or not I'll get on training kind of pales in insignificance! Stay safe everyone and stay indoors if you can. Be kind to yourselves!

StephyCal

Post by StephyCal » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:53 am

Thought it might be useful to post here instead of just lurking! I have a 2:1 BSc (hons) in Psychology and an MSc in Psychology of Mental Health.

2017/18
At this point I had worked for 10 months as an AP for a private company working with Looked after Children in a residential care home, and was currently working for the past 6ish months as an AP for CAMHS in the NHS.

Edinburgh
Glasgow
Newcastle
Manchester

2018/19
The next year I was still working in the same CAMHS post so had an extra year's experience there.

Edinburgh
Glasgow
Newcastle
Manchester

I was really disappointed this year as I felt much more ready for training this year and couldn't understand why that wasn't reflected in my progress - my only guess was that Edinburgh had changed one of the additional questions that year to a research question and I thought maybe my answer there had let me down.

2019/20
This year I started a new post as an AP working in Clinical Health Psychology and had around 6 months experience there by the time the applications were due.

Edinburgh
Glasgow
Newcastle
Lancaster

I was disappointed that I still wasn't able to get an interview for Glasgow (I live in Scotland) but very pleased that I had managed to get another interview for Edinburgh AND that I was also offered one for Newcastle too which was unexpected!

I thought I'd share here in case anyone is in the same boat as I was last year, not getting an interview even though they felt more prepared for clinical training. It really does seem to be the case that you can never predict how this process will go and if I had any advice, try not to take the rejections to heart (like I did) - just because it was a no this time doesn't mean you aren't competent, I almost guarantee you are. It's just that this process is brutal!