2020 Clinical Doctorate Application Progress Thread

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
Post Reply
alysehy
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:33 am

Re: 2020 Clinical Doctorate Application Progress Thread

Post by alysehy » Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:12 pm

First year applying this year as an oversea applicant!

UCL (self funding)
Kings (self funding)

Good luck to everyone!

jessr
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:41 pm

Re: 2020 Clinical Doctorate Application Progress Thread

Post by jessr » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:28 pm

Hi all,

First time applicant,

Sheffield
Lancaster
UEA

Bangor

Interview was a tough cookie...I think my offer to interview and success was due to really believing and chiming with the values and specialisms of the University I got selected for - I would personally consider this something absolutely paramount in applying for courses.

Bell
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:32 pm

Re: 2020 Clinical Doctorate Application Progress Thread

Post by Bell » Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:40 pm

jessr wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:28 pm
Hi all,

First time applicant,

Sheffield
Lancaster
UEA

Bangor

Interview was a tough cookie...I think my offer to interview and success was due to really believing and chiming with the values and specialisms of the University I got selected for - I would personally consider this something absolutely paramount in applying for courses.
Also joining you on the reserve list, congratulations! Do you happen to know what number you are?

Bangor
Manchester
Lancaster (Sat Test)
Staffordshire(Sat Test)

User avatar
maven
Site Admin
Posts: 2193
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:00 pm

Re: 2020 Clinical Doctorate Application Progress Thread

Post by maven » Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:53 am

Bell wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:40 pm
jessr wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:28 pm
Hi all,

First time applicant,

Sheffield
Lancaster
UEA

Bangor

Interview was a tough cookie...I think my offer to interview and success was due to really believing and chiming with the values and specialisms of the University I got selected for - I would personally consider this something absolutely paramount in applying for courses.
Also joining you on the reserve list, congratulations! Do you happen to know what number you are?

Bangor
Manchester
Lancaster (Sat Test)
Staffordshire(Sat Test)
I'm a bit confused, jessr hasn't mentioned a reserve list, and neither of your colours suggest a reserve place. Remember:
miriam wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:41 am
BLACK for courses you haven't heard from yet (this includes courses where you have been invited for an assessment task as these tasks for part of the shortlisting process before any decisions are taken about whether or not to invite you for interview
RED for no interview
ORANGE for reserve list interview
GREEN for interview
BROWN for an unsuccessful outcome after interview
CYAN for reserve list place
BLUE for offered place
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare

Bell
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:32 pm

Re: 2020 Clinical Doctorate Application Progress Thread

Post by Bell » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:58 am

Bangor
Manchester
Lancaster (Sat Test)
Staffordshire(Sat Test)

Thanks for the catch. Slightly embarrassing, think there was some selective attention at work there :lol: congratulations on your offer jessr!! :D

If any admin want to delete the previous posts to spare any confusion for future posters-feel free.

User avatar
miriam
Site Admin
Posts: 7784
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:20 pm
Location: Bucks
Contact:

Re: 2020 Clinical Doctorate Application Progress Thread

Post by miriam » Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:55 pm

Don't worry, I think it's fine to have a colour code reminder (and a bit of wishful thinking!)
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

chartail
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:27 pm

Re: 2020 Clinical Doctorate Application Progress Thread

Post by chartail » Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:20 pm

Hello,
How are people being interviewed at the moment? Is it skype or telephone?
I have an interview for Glasgow at the end of April and they have told us they will keep us informed and adhere to gov guidelines and however they interview they will ensure it will be a fair process. Thanks :)

ClearNight
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:35 pm

Re: 2020 Clinical Doctorate Application Progress Thread

Post by ClearNight » Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:24 pm

ClearNight wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:15 am
ClearNight wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:48 pm
2nd time applying.

Exeter (test completed)
Southampton

Salomons
Bangor

Good luck everyone!
I still cannot believe that I have an offer. Bangor was my first choice when applying and it definitely helped that the course ethos matched my values and interests. This was my first and only interview which resulted in an offer. It truly does only take one. To me, the Zoom/Skype interview turned into a fairly stress-free experience after I had a practice run and knew how I came across via video call.

Good luck to everyone who is going through this challenging process.

zolawr
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:23 pm

Re: 2020 Clinical Doctorate Application Progress Thread

Post by zolawr » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:21 pm

zolawr wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:03 am
Newbie here, first time applying 😊 I have been thinking about it for a while, this year felt like the right time to give it a go. I'm a 1 year QPWP, some previous AP experience.

Bangor
Lancaster (sat test)
Manchester (sat test)
Liverpool

Found the deductive test really difficult! 😅

Good luck everyone 🤞🏻🍀
So rejections except for Manchester! Super excited. I wasn't expecting it so I'm really happy. Interview has changed to 15 mins and 1 question over video call, pressure is on! Hope everyone is doing ok amid the coronavirus... I'm certainly feeling strange self isolating! Lots of uncertainty and anxiety for sure.
Best of luck with interviews!

User avatar
ell
Moderator
Posts: 2360
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:45 pm

Re: 2020 Clinical Doctorate Application Progress Thread

Post by ell » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:22 am

jessr wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:28 pm
Hi all,

First time applicant,

Sheffield
Lancaster
UEA

Bangor

Interview was a tough cookie...I think my offer to interview and success was due to really believing and chiming with the values and specialisms of the University I got selected for - I would personally consider this something absolutely paramount in applying for courses.
We're all a bit distracted at the moment, so sorry this is late, but just wanted to say HURRAH, THE FIRST PERSON ON CLINPSY HAS BEEN OFFERED A PLACE! WAHOO! CONGRATULATIONS JESSR! :cheers: :cheers: :compress: :bounce: :salut:

OverApps
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:52 pm

Re: 2020 Clinical Doctorate Application Progress Thread

Post by OverApps » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:15 pm

OverApps wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:26 am
OverApps wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:28 pm
OverApps wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:09 pm
Long time lurker first time poster. First year applying.

Newcastle
Edinburgh (sat tests)
Trent (invited to tests)
Bangor

Best of luck all - bring it on.
Newcastle
Edinburgh (sat tests)
Trent (invited to tests)
Bangor

Not too surprised re: Newcastle. Now just to wait for Edinburgh! Best of luck to everyone - I am fortunate to have had some interviews and luck with educational psychology doctorates this year so I don't feel as much pressure as I did a few months ago, but thinking of everyone and hope everyone is being kind to yourselves. We're all flipping great lads.
Newcastle
Edinburgh (sat tests)
Trent (invited to tests)
Bangor

Heard from Edinburgh around 5.30pm on the closing date. Obviously my Situational Judgement Test left a lot to be desired hahaha. I didn't sit the Trent tests because I had a rake of edpsych interviews around that time. Getting on reserve for Bangor was definitely exciting!

Given the anxiety surrounding coronavirus at the moment, my perspective of getting on this year has shifted somewhat. It feels like there is a lot of uncertainty in the world and my uncertainty about whether or not I'll get on training kind of pales in insignificance! Stay safe everyone and stay indoors if you can. Be kind to yourselves!
Newcastle
Edinburgh (sat tests)
Trent (invited to tests)
Bangor

And we're done! Four reds. It's okay though as my dream course here in Ireland has offered me a place on their edpsych programme. I love kids and learning and inclusion and it would appear that edpsych is the stream for me. I'm so excited to start in September.

So glad it's over as jeepers it feels like a long time since I submitted the applications! Stay safe all and best of luck.

ag9437
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:48 pm

Re: 2020 Clinical Doctorate Application Progress Thread

Post by ag9437 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:05 pm

ag9437 wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:37 pm
I feel I must post this for those who were not successful this year in gaining an interview. I moved into the psychology field a little later (mid 20s). I have applied 4 times with the following results:

Degrees:
BSc Neuroscience (Hons) - 2:1 - 2015
MSc Psychology (Conversion) - Pass - 2016
PG.Dip CBT for Anxiety and Depression (IAPT) - Distinction - 2019

Relevant Experience: Over the past 3 years
3 months as a voluntary Research Assistant
A few shifts as a band 2 bank Health Care Assistant over 2 months
3 months as a band 4 Graudate mental health worker
1 year as a band 5 Assistant Psychologist
1 year as a band 6 trainee CBT therapist
6 months so far as a band 7 qualified high intensity CBT therapist - Current post.

2016/17 - aged 26 (applied before I graduated in conversion course)

Oxford
Trent (invited to test day)
Cardiff (invited to online test)
Kings


2017/2018 - aged 27

Oxford
Trent (invited to test day)
Kings
Cov & Warwick
QUB


2018/2019 - aged 28

Trent (invited to test day)
UCL
Cov & Warwick - feedback form from uni had a written statement stating 'encourage to apply again'
Birmingham
QUB


2019/2020 - aged 29

Trent (invited to test day)
Birmingham
Cov & Warwick

Manchester (invited to online test) - they won't tell us what number on reserve list
QUB

So I just wanted to say please please continue to persevere if this is what you want to do as it will come to you, but do not put your life on hold for it either, you are so capable in this field and there are multiple avenues into being able to be a qualified clinician within psychology such as my current role and this will only strengthen your applications further. Who knows If I will be successful this year however I know if I am not then I am still making progress in my career and following my passion within psychology. Good luck to you all! :)
Update: Manchester are moving on their reserve list, moreover I have also been offered a band 8A Senior CBT therapist & LTC Lead post, so just more evidence to show that progression in 3 short years (band 2 to 8a) highlighting that clin psych is not the only way to make it in psychology!:

Trent (invited to test day)
Birmingham
Cov & Warwick

Manchester (invited to online test)
QUB

Smallfry
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:58 pm

Re: 2020 Clinical Doctorate Application Progress Thread

Post by Smallfry » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:44 am

Smallfry wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:22 pm
Second time applying but first 'real' attempt as I now have over a years experience as an AP.

Glasgow
Edinburgh (questions and SJT done);reserve for interview
Lancaster

Good luck everyone!!
Update, was disappointed with the rejection from Glasgow but over the moon to be reserve for interview at Edinburgh! Although it isn't a confirmed interview, I'm happy as I feel its slight progression from the 4 rejections last year.

Also the chaos of COVID19 stopped me dwelling in any disappointment for long 😅 good luck everyone!

JessB0502
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:21 pm

Re: 2020 Clinical Doctorate Application Progress Thread

Post by JessB0502 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:44 pm

JessB0502 wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:56 pm
JessB0502 wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:18 am
Second year applying, but the first time I hadn't completed my degree so wasnt holding much hope, just saw it as a practice run!

Staffordshire (sat test)
Birmingham
Oxford
Manchester

Ready for another day of constantly checking my emails!!! Defo found the longer I wait, the more invested I become!

Good luck to all! :)
Staffordshire
Birmingham


Looks like I will be focusing all my energy into Manchester this year, which is very exciting!!
Manchester

The uncertainty will never end! 😂

ag9437
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:48 pm

Re: 2020 Clinical Doctorate Application Progress Thread

Post by ag9437 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:46 pm

ag9437 wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:05 pm
ag9437 wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:37 pm
I feel I must post this for those who were not successful this year in gaining an interview. I moved into the psychology field a little later (mid 20s). I have applied 4 times with the following results:

Degrees:
BSc Neuroscience (Hons) - 2:1 - 2015
MSc Psychology (Conversion) - Pass - 2016
PG.Dip CBT for Anxiety and Depression (IAPT) - Distinction - 2019

Relevant Experience: Over the past 3 years
3 months as a voluntary Research Assistant
A few shifts as a band 2 bank Health Care Assistant over 2 months
3 months as a band 4 Graudate mental health worker
1 year as a band 5 Assistant Psychologist
1 year as a band 6 trainee CBT therapist
6 months so far as a band 7 qualified high intensity CBT therapist - Current post.

2016/17 - aged 26 (applied before I graduated in conversion course)

Oxford
Trent (invited to test day)
Cardiff (invited to online test)
Kings


2017/2018 - aged 27

Oxford
Trent (invited to test day)
Kings
Cov & Warwick
QUB


2018/2019 - aged 28

Trent (invited to test day)
UCL
Cov & Warwick - feedback form from uni had a written statement stating 'encourage to apply again'
Birmingham
QUB


2019/2020 - aged 29

Trent (invited to test day)
Birmingham
Cov & Warwick

Manchester (invited to online test) - they won't tell us what number on reserve list
QUB

So I just wanted to say please please continue to persevere if this is what you want to do as it will come to you, but do not put your life on hold for it either, you are so capable in this field and there are multiple avenues into being able to be a qualified clinician within psychology such as my current role and this will only strengthen your applications further. Who knows If I will be successful this year however I know if I am not then I am still making progress in my career and following my passion within psychology. Good luck to you all! :)
Update: Manchester are moving on their reserve list, moreover I have also been offered a band 8A Senior CBT therapist & LTC Lead post, so just more evidence to show that progression in 3 short years (band 2 to 8a) highlighting that clin psych is not the only way to make it in psychology!:

Trent (invited to test day)
Birmingham
Cov & Warwick

Manchester (invited to online test)
QUB
Update: Manchester have got back to us:

Trent (invited to test day)
Birmingham
Cov & Warwick

Manchester (invited to online test) - they won't say what number on reserve list for place
QUB

Feeling a mix of emotions with this, but not a bad result for my first interview.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest