2020 Clinical Doctorate Application Progress Thread

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
ahebw2

Re: 2020 Clinical Doctorate Application Progress Thread

Post by ahebw2 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:37 pm

I also just got an offer through for Exeter - would be good to start a group for offer holders at some point

Lbee123

Post by Lbee123 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:02 pm

I also just got an offer from Exeter!!!!!!!! Cannot believe it :) and look forward to meeting you both :)

Lbee123

Post by Lbee123 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:48 am

Too add to my previous post. It really helped me to see other peoples success/non successes, and to read 'It only takes one' :) -

2019 -

Staffordshire
Surrey
Salomons
Plymouth

2020 -

Exeter --- Exeter
Bangor
Glasgow
Plymouth

sarahsian1990

Post by sarahsian1990 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:05 pm

Hello everyone :)
My first time applying this year, I have had two different AP jobs (one private sector, one NHS), a First in my BSc Psychology degree, and a foundation year diploma in group work. Eight years of HCA / mental health project work since graduating in 2012.

Essex - I am number 4 on reserve list
Kent - unsuccessful after assessment
Leicester- unsuccessful after assessment
Birmingham - no offer of interview or assessment, unsuccessful

I really thought I had messed up the Essex interview, so I am thrilled they saw some good in me despite this. However, realistically, four people aren't going to decline an offer are they? I mean, the deadline is June 5th and it's so unsettling to not know (although the chances are so low, to just have a glimmer of hope is quite difficult to deal with...?) and have to wait for a definite answer until then!

If anyone with more experience of this process than me, can confirm that it is really unlikely, then I'd be relieved to hear this, just so that I can try and disconnect from it a little.

Many thanks and all the best to everyone in their journey.
Sarah xxx

zolawr

Post by zolawr » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:43 pm

sarahsian1990 wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:05 pm
Hello everyone :)
My first time applying this year, I have had two different AP jobs (one private sector, one NHS), a First in my BSc Psychology degree, and a foundation year diploma in group work. Eight years of HCA / mental health project work since graduating in 2012.

Essex - I am number 4 on reserve list
Kent - unsuccessful after assessment
Leicester- unsuccessful after assessment
Birmingham - no offer of interview or assessment, unsuccessful

I really thought I had messed up the Essex interview, so I am thrilled they saw some good in me despite this. However, realistically, four people aren't going to decline an offer are they? I mean, the deadline is June 5th and it's so unsettling to not know (although the chances are so low, to just have a glimmer of hope is quite difficult to deal with...?) and have to wait for a definite answer until then!

If anyone with more experience of this process than me, can confirm that it is really unlikely, then I'd be relieved to hear this, just so that I can try and disconnect from it a little.

Many thanks and all the best to everyone in their journey.
Sarah xxx
I have heard reserves 1-6 are very likely to get on, people do decline because they might get offered 2 places and prefer the other place 😊 wow first time applying, huge well done!! This is fantastic and if I were in your situation if be feeling really hopeful. I know one of Manchesters cohorts had 5 or 6 from reserve so I imagine it's quite similar across other unis xx

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:47 pm

Very hard to predict movement of reserve lists as it differs course to course and year to year. Some only move one place or not at all, some can move more than ten places. I'd say reserve 4 is possible. Good luck!
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

BeKind

Post by BeKind » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:31 am

BeKind wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:12 pm
BeKind wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:45 pm
BeKind wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:39 pm
This is my 5th year applying and to be quite honest I thought last year was my last - I have never actually posted my progress on here before, but thought that by doing so I might help to give a wider perspective for those who like me 'lurk' on here and feel frustrated with what does feel like an unfair process at times.

1st Year
University of Birmingham
Leicester
Oxford
Kings College London

2nd Year
Birmingham
Cov/Warwick
Hertfordshire
Oxford

3rd Year
Birmingham
UEL
Hertfordshire
Trent

4th Year
Birmingham
Oxford

Hertfordshire
Cov/Warwick

5th Year (this time around)
University of Birmingham
Hertfordshire
Coventry/Warwick --- Coventry/Warwick
Staffordshire

This year I am trying my best to be accepting of whatever happens rather than viewing any rejections as 'I am a failure' which often crops up for many at this time of year!

Good Luck every-one! :D
So far I am tremendously pleased with the outcome this year! :)
This is what I'm finishing with this year! Good luck all and for those who didn't make it this year remember your skills and passion will never be wasted in whatever path you choose to take next!
Little bit disappointed as I'm too far up the reserve list so I can definitely resign Coventry to a No I think.... frustratingly I am even further up the list then last year despite more experience.

jackiehamilton

Post by jackiehamilton » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:28 am

Hey all,

Thought I would add my progress so far.

This is my second time applying (I got offered a place first time applying but unfortunately due to personal circumstances had to decline at the time):

- Sheffield
- Coventry/Warwick
- Staffordshire - going to decline interview
- Leicester

Has anyone else been accepted at Leicester? Would be good to start a group of people that have been accepted :)

Good luck to everyone applying!

BeKind

Post by BeKind » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:54 am

jackiehamilton wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:28 am
Hey all,

This is my second time applying (I got offered a place first time applying but unfortunately due to personal circumstances had to decline at the time):

- Sheffield
- Coventry/Warwick
- Leicester

Has anyone else been accepted at Leicester? Would be good to start a group of people that have been accepted :)

did you have an interview at Coventry too? Couldn't quite make out the colour you put this in....

lucy2509

Post by lucy2509 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:59 pm

jackiehamilton wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:28 am
Hey all,

- Sheffield
- Coventry/Warwick
- Leicester

Hi Jackie,
I have just accepted a place at Leicester!
(This is my first time using this forum so not sure if this is the best way to reply directly to you).
Lucy

jackiehamilton

Post by jackiehamilton » Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:37 pm

I did have an interview at Coventry, but was not successful. Sorry, I don't think my brown has shown that great!

Ahh amazing Lucy - congratulations on your place! I've sent you a private message on here so hopefully you will get it :)

Smallblonde02

Post by Smallblonde02 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:12 pm

Bit late to the party but here is my progress this year, third year applying:

Royal Holloway
Essex
Surrey
Salomons

Well done to all those that have been offered places this year and good luck to all that still have interviews to go :D

AppleK

Post by AppleK » Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:26 pm

Second time applying, although my first was a practice run straight after my undergrad degree. I have been a PWP, an AP in CAMHS and am currently doing a Masters degree.

Leicester (sat test)
Surrey (interview completed)
Salomons
Cov & Warwick (offer received yesterday evening)

I have been reading posts on this forum for several years, and have found them incredibly helpful and supportive. Good luck to everyone else with the process! Any other Cov & Warwick offer holders?

gilmore94

Post by gilmore94 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:32 pm

gilmore94 wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:30 pm
Third time applying with 3 years experience in various Assistant Psychologist roles. My first year I applied with only a few months AP experience but did get invited to all shortlisting exams, although didn't get any interviews.

This year so far:
Birmingham
Manchester
Southampton
South Wales

Best of luck to everybody!
After two previous years that ended with no interviews, this year:
Birmingham
Manchester -> Manchester -> Manchester
Southampton
South Wales -> South Wales

After reflecting about the process and my journey, I think this was the right time, at the right course for me. I learnt so much in the years between my applications that was invaluable. I would encourage those who feel disheartened to persevere! Good luck to everyone who has interviewed or have interviews coming up.

nikkila

Post by nikkila » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:17 pm

Can i just ask, do you think you would have still taken a place if offered despite getting your 8a position? The reason i ask is i have just been offered a place on a course but currently work as an 8A Psychological Therapist

Well done on your new post by the way :D

your
ag9437 wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:05 pm
ag9437 wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:37 pm
Trent (invited to test day)
Birmingham
Cov & Warwick

Manchester (invited to online test) - they won't tell us what number on reserve list
QUB

So I just wanted to say please please continue to persevere if this is what you want to do as it will come to you, but do not put your life on hold for it either, you are so capable in this field and there are multiple avenues into being able to be a qualified clinician within psychology such as my current role and this will only strengthen your applications further. Who knows If I will be successful this year however I know if I am not then I am still making progress in my career and following my passion within psychology. Good luck to you all! :)
Update: Manchester are moving on their reserve list, moreover I have also been offered a band 8A Senior CBT therapist & LTC Lead post, so just more evidence to show that progression in 3 short years (band 2 to 8a) highlighting that clin psych is not the only way to make it in psychology!:

Trent (invited to test day)
Birmingham
Cov & Warwick

Manchester (invited to online test)
QUB