Unsuccessful application? Want a post-mortem of your form? NOW CLOSED

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
miriam
Site Admin

Unsuccessful application? Want a post-mortem of your form? NOW CLOSED

Post by miriam » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:06 am

Every year I am asked to review forms before applications are submitted, but over the last few years I have been increasingly asked to review forms that were unsuccessful to help people see if there is something concrete they can do differently next time, think about what experience to gather over the coming months, or decide whether clinical psychology is a viable path for them.

I haven't been directly involved in course selection, but I do read a LOT of forms (at least 20-30 per year for 15 years), have a good success rate in supporting the APs I supervise through the application process, as well as the experience of running professional development days for applicants, in which I've met more than 300 of you, so I have a pretty good (and perhaps unique) overview of the level of competition and which applications pan out to be successful. I have had a lot of messages that suggest my advice was helpful to people, but I am brutally honest - so please don't ask me to do this if you are likely to find honest advice too disheartening at this point.

If you would like me to do this, and are happy to make a donation of at least £20* to the charity I have chosen for this year (which as you may know is a fund for purchasing a new interactive whiteboard for the local primary school), please drop me a PM. I'll give you bank details and my email address, and you can send over your form with one or two short questions that you are grappling with, and I'll send you back some comments.

I'm prepared to do this for the rest of the month, which would let me review up to 20 forms, and if we are asked to do social distancing and I remain working from home and have enough capacity to do so I will extend that window.

*if the donation is a barrier for you for some reason, please drop me a note and let me know what you can afford. I don't want to exclude anyone with dependents or disabilities or from BME or other more economically disadvantaged groups, although I do want to raise as much money for the charity as I can.

BTW if anyone has been successful in securing an interview (or is already a trainee or qualified) and wants to make a donation to fund this for a peer who has been less successful as a random act of kindness or means to "pay it forward", please feel free to get in touch. I'll then be able to offer more free or low cost reviews to members of disadvantaged groups.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

miriam
Site Admin

Re: Unsuccessful application? Want a post-mortem of your form?

Post by miriam » Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:17 pm

Okay, I'm drowning in these now! I don't mind working my way through them whilst I've got capacity and am working from home, and it is great that I'll be able to make a larger contribution to the charity, but it will take me a while until I catch up enough to clear the space in my inbox for the 18 new messages I received today, so please be patient if I don't respond straight away.
Miriam

suuzee

Post by suuzee » Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:24 pm

I've tried to send a PM for this but not sure if it has worked.. It's still in my outbox it looks like, is this right?

ell

Post by ell » Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:44 pm

If it's still in your outbox then it hasn't been opened by the receiver yet (who sounds like they've got a lot to get through!).

Geishawife
Team Member

Post by Geishawife » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:47 pm

Miriam, if you are snowed under would you/others be willing for someone else to review some of the forms? I would be happy to do so provided people still make the donation to your charity. If it's not appropriate that's fine, but just thought it would ease the pressure on you.

suuzee

Post by suuzee » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:12 pm

ell wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:44 pm
If it's still in your outbox then it hasn't been opened by the receiver yet (who sounds like they've got a lot to get through!).
Ah thanks for clarifying! That’s ok, just wanted to see if it had been sent at all. Thank you :)

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:02 pm

ell wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:44 pm
Yes, this. If I get more PMs than I have spaces in my inbox they sit unread until I can clear space out of my inbox - so don't panic and resend or delete them, please just wait. There are 12 more than I can open today, for example. I'm sending replies in batches of 10 and then deleting the original messages so I can read more messages that come in. But whilst there are more coming in than I have spaces for in my inbox some will look unsent as I won't have seen them yet.
Geishawife wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:47 pm
Miriam, if you are snowed under would you/others be willing for someone else to review some of the forms? I would be happy to do so provided people still make the donation to your charity. If it's not appropriate that's fine, but just thought it would ease the pressure on you.
This is a really lovely offer, so if I feel like I'm overwhelmed I'd love to send some on - and I can send you my review format if that would be helpful?
Miriam

Geishawife
Team Member

Post by Geishawife » Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:17 pm

That's fine. Just let me know.

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:00 pm

Update: I've had 24 requests, 14 people have made the donation and sent over their form, and I've done 6 reviews so far, so there are 8 sitting in the queue. I'm quite enjoying doing them. It gives me something to do that doesn't require quite as much sustained focus as my court work whilst I adjust to the new normal of working from home whilst supervising/educating the kids.
Miriam

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:03 am

I've reached £500 of donations for the school interactive whiteboard from these reviews - although I will talk to them about whether some kind of remote teaching tool would be more useful given the current climate - but I haven't done any more reviews yet, as I have a report due in on Monday. I'll get back to them after that.
Miriam

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:11 am

I did four more yesterday and two more tonight. They seem to take me 30-40 minutes each, when really I'd want them to take 20-30. But I'm getting through them steadily, and it seems like my feedback is helpful for recipients. I think there are 14 left in the queue, so if I can do a couple of hours on another four evenings I'll get through them.
Miriam

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:27 am

3 more done today, and 2 yesterday. That's 17 down, 13 to go - one more left for 18th March and 2 from 19th to do tomorrow if I get a chance. I rewarded myself with some Daim minis as I went along. I should have held back until I'd done all three as they are far too moreish to stop at one after each form.
Miriam

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:10 am

20 done now, 11 to go. I'm up to those sent to me on 20th March now.
Miriam

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:54 am

25 done, 8 to go. I'm up to forms sent on 1st April now.
Miriam

Ruqs

Post by Ruqs » Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:45 pm

Hi, just wondering if there is room for a post mortem to be done?

Many thanks