Starting the application form (mind blank)

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
maisym00

Starting the application form (mind blank)

Post by maisym00 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:16 pm

"In what way have your work/research experiences made you a better candidate for training in clinical psychology"

So, I'm fully aware that no one should or can tell me what to write on my form, that would both be a) wrong and b) completely ineffective as only I can reflect on my experiences and motivations. However, does anyone have any tips on how to get started? I've had complete writers block, have just been staring at a blank page for weeks with no idea how to even begin. It's only 3000 characters, and I feel it's quite hard to condense years of experience into just 3000 characters without diluting each experience drastically. I think it would be best to identify a few experiences and expand on these, but I'm quite young (22) and I don't want to risk making it sound as though I've only had those few experiences, when actually my experience does cover a fairly broad range.

Any tips on how to get un-stuck?

Geishawife
Team Member

Re: Starting the application form (mind blank)

Post by Geishawife » Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:43 pm

To be honest, I'd say put it away until the new round of applications opens. I'm not trying to be harsh, but you can't fill out any forms until then and it's possible there could be changes made (I'm not saying there will, but subtle changes have been made in the past). For now, relax, enjoy the Summer and come back to the forms when the next round opens. You're putting unnecessary pressure on yourself at the moment and I really do think you'd be better off easing up for a bit.

hawke

Post by hawke » Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:57 pm

I find I do my best reflective thinking when my partner and I are putting the world to rights over a good cup of coffee at the weekend - for me, it's a perfect blend of psychological safety, warmth, relaxation, and mild cognitive stimulation. When/where/with who do you think and reflect at your best? How could you capture your thoughts at that time (e.g. in writing, recording a conversation, mindmapping, doodling)?

maven
Site Admin

Post by maven » Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:51 am

You don't need to condense all your experience into that one section. The shortlisters can see your experience and qualifications. They now need to know about your competencies, and your reflections on those experiences.

Why not keep a reflective journal that you can use to record your thoughts about your experiences, and things you have learnt from things you have done/read/watched. So,when you come to write your form (and I agree with others that this is too early for a deadline in 4 months time) you can start with a mind map, or a look back over a reflective journal.
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare

workingmama
Team Member

Post by workingmama » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:28 am

This may not work for everyone (and it may be offputting to some shortlisters!) but I bulletpointed the heck out of my application form. It saved a lot of wasted words.
Fail, fail again, fail better.