Standardised academic reference 10 years post MSc

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
Crazygreyhoundlady

Standardised academic reference 10 years post MSc

Post by Crazygreyhoundlady » Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:04 pm

Hi folks,

I'm a career changer (Mental Health OT working in NHS for 6 years) applying this year for the first time, and finding the whole process pretty exciting as well as terrifying.

I completed my MSc Psychology conversion course (eligibility for GBC) back in 2010, achieved Merit award. I qualified as an OT 6 years ago and have worked in mental health for 5 years, and now have a Band 6 mental health assessment post in Primary Care.

As my qualification was achieved so long ago, the university is only able to provide a standardised reference confirming the dates I attended and my degree classification. I have full transcripts and a letter confirming eligibility for GBC.

I suppose my question is, will this be a big disadvantage at the first hurdle, the fact I don't have a detailed and personalised academic reference?

Many thanks.

Randomswirls
Team Member

Re: Standardised academic reference 10 years post MSc

Post by Randomswirls » Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:43 pm

Can you find another referee e.g. did you do your ot training before or after your msc conversion. Do you have anyone who you have worked with where you have demonstrated some academic ability eg doing an audit or service evaluation?

Crazygreyhoundlady

Post by Crazygreyhoundlady » Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:18 pm

My OT training was after the Psychology conversion but similarly my old supervisor has confirmed they can only provide a standardised reference. My professional reference will hopefully make up for what the academic one is lacking - I've carried out a service evaluation in my current role and a QI project resulting in conference presentation.

Geishawife
Team Member

Post by Geishawife » Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:01 pm

Where are you thinking of applying? If you are applying to places with selection tests it could be that the reference being "standard" is less important. Might be worth checking the course info to see what the individual courses say.

clairef

Post by clairef » Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:08 pm

I had a similar experience in that I had an academic reference from 10 years earlier and I had worked in various assistant psychology posts since and thus had lots of solid clinical references to pick from, but only one academic reference from someone who supervised me 10 years earlier.
I had been shortlisted for interview when this academic reference was still recent (2-3 years old), and then due to personal circumstances I did not re-apply to DClinpsy for another 7 years. After 7 years, i.e. 7 further years of clinical experience, I was not shortlisted for interview at all, and my assumption is that the old academic reference may have played a significant part.
I pursued a part-time academic degree the following year, and thus had a recent academic reference and grades to show that I was academically capable, and I was offered 4 interviews (I did a part-time MSc which was turned into a PG Cert as I was accepted onto DClinpsy that year).

So in summary, for me I believe it helped a lot to have a more recent academic reference.

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:12 pm

It could also be someone you have done research with, or written a paper with, who feels able to mention your past grades and capability. Whilst the supervisor from a degree or postgrad course is the most obvious source, it doesn't have to come from a university as far as I understand it. See here for clearing house guide to references.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

Crazygreyhoundlady

Post by Crazygreyhoundlady » Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:27 pm

Thanks everyone for your helpful replies.

The Unis to which I am considering applying do not run selection tests. I may consider asking someone else to provide the academic reference.

Claireef - My MSc OT pre-reg course was 2015, and Merit award achieved, so hopefully that showed consistency in academic achievements. My MSc thesis was a 25,000 word project.

I'll give it my best and see if they decide to give me a chance!

clairef

Post by clairef » Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:32 pm

good luck with it all!