Student with foreign degree

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
Pupa

Student with foreign degree

Post by Pupa »

I practice as a counsellor in Singapore. I am moving to the UK this month. I am aiming to apply to the D. Clin Psych. programmes next year, and I am writing ths post hoping that one of you could guide me through the process.

I have already been granted the Graduate Basis for Chartered Membership (GBC) based on my Master's degree in Psychology from India. I also have accumulated 200+ hours and 60+ supervised hours as a counsellor in Singapore. What are the best possible routes for me to ensure a solid application for D. Clin Psych. next year? It has been kind of nerve wrecking to read through the posts here. But my ultimate dream is to become a chartered Psychologist. I know it's super competitive, but I am ready to work hard and hope I can use your collective wisdom to reach my goal.

I am a mom of 2 young kids, and I want to make sure that I use my time and money wisely :)
miriam
Site Admin

Re: Student with foreign degree

Post by miriam »

Do you mean as a self-funded candidate? If so, don't be too daunted as the level of competition is not quite the same as for NHS funded places. I'd just focus on getting some UK experience, ideally in the NHS and/or with supervision from a CP, so you get to know the psychology and service landscape here. Counselling is quite different to the application of psychology, as it is just about direct therapeutic work, and tends to not have the breadth of models that a CP would train in, so it might be good to broaden your experience or even look for a research post.

Also, a small note that chartered psychologist is a BPS thing and nothing to do with being a registered practitioner psychologist with the HCPC. I'm no longer a chartered psychologist as I left the BPS five years ago, and nobody has ever asked me about it, whilst being regulated means that my doctorate qualification and HCPC registration are essential.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com
This forum is free to use. If you find the site useful, you are welcome to contribute the cost of a cup of coffee to our running costs.
Pupa

Post by Pupa »

Thanks for the comment. I would actually like to apply for a NHS funded positions for my doctorate.
I have also been looking for research positions. As for experience in the NHS, is AP the only route to work in NHS?
Geishawife
Team Member

Post by Geishawife »

Pupa wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 8:47 am Thanks for the comment. I would actually like to apply for a NHS funded positions for my doctorate.
I have also been looking for research positions. As for experience in the NHS, is AP the only route to work in NHS?
There are many roles within the NHS that would give you a foothold. Health care assistant, support worker, rehab assistant, therapy assistant practitioner, etc. AP posts are VERY competitive, with 100 - 200 applicants per post being common, and you might be better off looking at different experience to begin with. There is a thread that details the experience people have had prior to training so I'd have a look at that. Even if you are not in an AP role, it is sometimes possible to get some supervision from a CP within the service you work in. If there is a CP there, it's always worth asking.
Pupa

Post by Pupa »

Thank you for suggesting the different roles other than AP. I will look for them through NHS job portal and indeed.
miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam »

Pupa wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 8:47 am Thanks for the comment. I would actually like to apply for a NHS funded positions for my doctorate.
You need 3 years of continuous residence and the right to live and work in the UK (not just the visa for a student) to qualify for home fees for UK universities, and I think the clinical doctorate courses require at least a year of residence by the point of application and the right to live and work here permanently, not just a short-term visa, to consider anything but a self-funded application. So do check this carefully as it can be quite hard to get if you are not a British passport holder and don't have a very-high-earning British spouse.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com
This forum is free to use. If you find the site useful, you are welcome to contribute the cost of a cup of coffee to our running costs.