Issues with clinical reference

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
Vasilisa

Issues with clinical reference

Post by Vasilisa »

I am planning on applying for the first time in November 2024. I haven’t worked as an AP, or under the supervision of a CP but I’m confident that I want to start applying even for the experience of applying.

I’m worried that since I haven’t worked with a CP, I don’t have a good enough reference.

I have a BSc in Psychology and a MSc in Applied Clinical Psychology but I work as a a-level psychology teacher now in a school where mild mental health and learning difficulties are extremely common. My only actual clinical reference would be from my placement year where I worked as a support worker between 2020-2021 but my manager has left and HR just ignore me now…

- is it inappropriate to put my manager’s personal email and include him as a referee?
-or should I include someone from my current teaching role?
-I’ve started volunteering with SHOUT, would that be an appropriate reference?

Maybe I don’t have enough clinical experience but I’m determined to apply anyways because I think the experiences I have had, have made me suitable for the training.

Thank you!
rooster

Re: Issues with clinical reference

Post by rooster »

If you put your managers personal email, you will automatically be rejected. Does your manager work in a different service? As long as they have a work e-mail, you can put that down. Make sure to specify why you have chosen that manager for your clinical reference instead of your school manager.
You will want to check every single university you are applying for and what their guidelines are. Most universities will specify what they will accept as a "clinical reference", some may reject you for not having that supervision with a CP whilst others are more lenient.
miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam »

rooster wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 8:46 am If you put your managers personal email, you will automatically be rejected.
What is your source for this assertion?
rooster wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 8:46 am some may reject you for not having that supervision with a CP whilst others are more lenient.
Again, what is your source? Plenty of people get onto training without a CP reference every year.
It is really unhelpful to repeat unsubstantiated rumours as if they are facts.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com
This forum is free to use. If you find the site useful, you are welcome to contribute the cost of a cup of coffee to our running costs.
miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam »

Vasilisa wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 8:19 pm I am planning on applying for the first time in November 2024. I haven’t worked as an AP, or under the supervision of a CP but I’m confident that I want to start applying even for the experience of applying.

I’m worried that since I haven’t worked with a CP, I don’t have a good enough reference.

I have a BSc in Psychology and a MSc in Applied Clinical Psychology but I work as a a-level psychology teacher now in a school where mild mental health and learning difficulties are extremely common. My only actual clinical reference would be from my placement year where I worked as a support worker between 2020-2021 but my manager has left and HR just ignore me now…

- is it inappropriate to put my manager’s personal email and include him as a referee?
-or should I include someone from my current teaching role?
-I’ve started volunteering with SHOUT, would that be an appropriate reference?

Maybe I don’t have enough clinical experience but I’m determined to apply anyways because I think the experiences I have had, have made me suitable for the training.

Thank you!
It doesn't sound to me like you have the level of experience to make a credible applicant for doctoral training, and you haven't had the sort of supervision that could write an appropriate reference yet either. So I would advise you just try filling out the form for your own experience, rather than getting references, paying fees and submitting it.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com
This forum is free to use. If you find the site useful, you are welcome to contribute the cost of a cup of coffee to our running costs.