Tips for filling in THE form!

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
lakeland

Tips for filling in THE form!

Post by lakeland » Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:43 pm

Hi all,

Though it might be helpful to discuss how we're filling in the clinical doctorate application form.. I have to admit I'm really struggling to get it done, possibly as I have recently started a new job, so was wondering if people wanted to share tips of how they were managing it?

I started with the basics - name, address, references, jobs, qualifications (as I imagine most people do) and then I started question 7 and then a bit of question 10. I'm managing to get some done at work (new AP post involves weekend working, which is fairly uneventful), but am on training for the next two weeks so it'll have to be done at home - as the deadline seems to be not so much creeping up as running up quickly and taking me by surprise!

How is everyone managing to get theirs done? Doing a question everyday? At work? At home?

blueray

Post by blueray » Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:57 pm

Hi!

I am struggling too, but with the deep down feeling that I know it will all come together last minute! I have decided to decide a date I will sent the form recorded delivery, and in between now and then to produce a draft each week so that on the last week, I should come up with my final version.

It may be a good idea to ask a colleague or friend to proof read each draft, but ask no more than 3, otherwise you risk losing ownership of the form!

I did what you did - the easy bits first! Name/address/references...then qualifications and courses....and then what experience you have academically/research or occupational/voluntary.

Then, I did the last page where I wrote what publications I have.

Then, the meaty bits I did last and those are the hardest parts that will get changed time and time again!

I look at my form every few days, if you constantly work on it, your eyes become blurred and you don't notice what grammatical errors you make, never mind whether your sentences make...sense!

I do it both at home and work, whenever you are in the mood works best really, as it can be quite tiresome and frustrating!

Good luck - just set a realistic deadline and put some time aside to work on it outside of your training and new job. You'll be fine! I doubt anyone is 100 per cent confident when they send their form off!

Max221

Post by Max221 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:05 pm

Hi.

I see I've hit this a bit late but hopefully may still be helpful...

I have a habit of getting all stressed with things like this and not being able to get anything down on paper because nothing says quite what I want it to, in the way that I want to say it. So my method is to read the question thoroughly, and throw everything I can possibly think of down in bullet-points 1st, then look to external sources (eg course websites, advice, etc), and add everything from there that I think I should be including. I then go through and delete duplications, then go through again, turning it into full sentences. This leaves you with all the info that you need, and you just need to shorten and rearrange. It's probably a long-winded way of going about it but it means you're never faced with the sheer terror of a blank page, plus you know that all the info you need is there and you can easily see duplications etc.

I've finally shortened it to the extent where it fits into the boxes today, and have a couple of psychologists lined up who have said they'll go through it for me, then it's time for draft 2!

Don't know if this is helpful, but it works for me! Good luck!