Private AP posts

Advertise posts here (email clinpsyforum@gmail.com to arrange payment, it starts at just £40+vat)
Merlin

Private AP posts

Post by Merlin » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:25 am

Does anyone know why people wouldnt apply to the huddersfield AP post advertised on here? With a shortage of NHS posts we thought at least one person wouldve applied - could anyone give me feedback please?

thanks x

Bantam

Post by Bantam » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:18 am

I'd say there are a number of factors. But, in my opinion, the most influential factor is that any AP with a years experience with children and families would usually be able to find an NHS AP post.
Merlin wrote:Job Details

It is essential that you will have worked for at least 12 months as an AP in a Child & Family service.
If that prerequisite was changed to having experience within any role working with children and families you would probably open the role up to a lot more potential candidates.

Me for one!!

BenJMan

Post by BenJMan » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:29 am

Is that a lack of applicants from the Clin Psyc forums or a lack of applicants in general?

I actually didnt see the post or I would have considered it, however I think some trepidation is always felt over fixed term contracts within the private sector.. I can't fully explain why, for me its just an uneasy feeling that I don't get with NHS fixed terms.

The other bit is, a lot of people put in for secondment opportunities when dealing with fixed term contracts, however with the majority of people in NHS posts, secondment to the private sector is pretty impossible :)

Did the post get sufficient applicants to hire or will it be readvertised?

HayleyT

Post by HayleyT » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:50 pm

I think the same as Bantam, an essential requirment of having worked for 12 months as an AP with children and families would eliminate a lot of possible applicants. For example I work as an AP with children and families currently and have had 2 AP posts in other areas, but only have a six month contract, so even though I have experince I would not meet the essential criteria. I think it would be pretty rare for somone with that level of experince in that area to be looking for another private sector AP post.

Hayley

BlueCat
Site Admin

Post by BlueCat » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:14 pm

I think it is probably a combination of factors, the most significant of which is the 12 month experience as an AP with children and families. Not many people will have this as there are less and less AP posts available, child and family posts tend to be among the most popular (usually appointing very strong candidates), and many/most holders of AP posts move off into training (especially this time of year). Perhaps if it was 12 months experience as an AP you would widen your possible pool of applicants?

Plus, people woud be less likely to move for a second AP post (as they already have experience and are therefore better candidates for local posts) so you are limiting it a little locality-wise. Plus, people are less likely to move for a private AP post as a second post, because private AP posts are seen as less desirable than NHS posts. Plus, people who have worked for a year as an AP with children and families will be more likely to want to move specialties for a second/third post to broaden their experience base for the clinical doctorate.

So, essentially you have limited your field significantly in terms of applicants with the essential experience as well as having low appeal to those people who would meet the essential criteria as the job is in the private sector and would not add an additional client group.
There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes. Billy Connolly.

Elfie

Post by Elfie » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:19 pm

Plus some people, like me, who have already had 12 months as an AP in a child and family service, would be looking to ideally move into another area. Given that we are encouraged to try and get a variety of experience, some might see it as adding relatively little to their CV compared with AP (private or NHS) post in say, adult mental health.

I didn’t see this advert either (and am not currently looking for jobs) but I expect some people may be put off by the negotiable salary too…I know I would. People who have worked as an AP for 12 months already would be eligible for band 5 AP posts (although in reality they are getting increasingly difficult to find) and so if the salary was advertised as one equivalent to band 5 then I’m sure you’d get more applications!

Elfie

Post by Elfie » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:21 pm

Ah, Bluecat beat me...and made some better points!

ell

Post by ell » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:42 pm

I think all these points are good points...

But, surely regardless of these things, there are a shortage of jobs full stop, and I know that I for one wouldn't mind another CAMHS AP job if there was nothing else going, as I didn't really get a chance to develop therapeutic skills in my last one. (I didn't apply for the role under question as it would be one heck of a commute to Huddersfield from Berkshire.)

Was this forum the only place you advertised the job? I think that combined with the previously raised issues may explain it? Otherwise, very odd...

L

BlueCat
Site Admin

Post by BlueCat » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:50 pm

ell wrote:I for one wouldn't mind another CAMHS AP job if there was nothing else going, as I didn't really get a chance to develop therapeutic skills in my last one
This is one of the problems......if there was nothing else going, you would prefer an NHS job, and would probably get one with your experience....
ell wrote:(I didn't apply for the role under question as it would be one heck of a commute to Huddersfield from Berkshire.)
....or one closer to home.
Last edited by BlueCat on Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes. Billy Connolly.

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:45 pm

To give you some sense of perspective, I advertised an NHS AP post in CAMHS, on band 5 (so that's about as attractive a job as it is possible to be) and it was up on NHS jobs which is obviously a very easy structured way for people to apply and we got 150 applicants. However, I think only about 3 of them would have met your criteria of having had 12 months experience as an AP in CAMHS. So your pool of people who would meet your criteria is very small, and perhaps the idea of a non-NHS post without a set salary would not have attracted those few people to apply. You can look at our requirements on the relevant thread if you want.

Also, the wording implies that you might have an in house candidate and are trying to narrow the field yet meet equal opportunities, which might be off-putting. I think there is an assumption that lots of people will apply and it is nor worth the effort if you have to write an application without meeting all the criteria, or where you think the post already has someone in mind...
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

Merlin

Post by Merlin » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:12 am

thanks for replying. We dont have an in-house applicant as its me leaving in august. The reason we put so much emphasis on the 12m experience is that the clin psyc needs someone who can work confidently and autonomously at times. Due to the nature of the work - court proceedings, care proceedings etc, a lot of it is assessing young people and their families and info gathering. She wanted someone who has the skills to use intiative under supervision of course and who can assist her.

I take on board all your points and I agree about the salary, i thinks that should have been stated.

I will forward your comments on and readvertise via BPS.

many thanks