Psychology Graduate looking for experience

Advertise posts here (email clinpsyforum@gmail.com to arrange payment, it starts at just £40+vat)
katiedexter

Psychology Graduate looking for experience

Post by katiedexter » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:30 pm

Hi,

I am a Psychology Graduate looking for any form of experience possible. My long-term aim is to train and complete a doctorate in Clinical Psychology but I am looking for valuable work experience before doing this.

I have a BSc (Hons) in Criminology and a Graduate Diploma in Psychology from Buckinghamshire New University. My dissertation for the Graduate Diploma, a quantitative research into the psychology of weight loss, was awarded a first class mark. I have just over 2 and a half years experience in the NHS and have experience working with children with Autism Spectrum Disorder. I am able to implement, carry out and evaluate assessments and possess excellent research and data analysis skills (including a working knowledge of SPSS).

I live in Walton-on-Thames, Surrey but am willing to travel long distances (I have a full, clean driving license) and work unsociable hours. I am interested in full-time, part-time and voluntary opportunities. My areas of interest include social psychology, weight loss and psychology as well as abnormal psychology but as I said previously I would be interested in experience in any area of psychology that anyone could offer me.

Thank you for your time and I hope to hear from you soon.

Kind Regards,

Katie Dexter

Morningstar

Re: Psychology Graduate looking for experience

Post by Morningstar » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:17 pm

Hi Katie

I am not sure how many responses from prospective employers you will get here, as this is a site for aspiring psychologists so the majority of the members here are not qualified psychologists and are probably looking for similar jobs to you! There is a lot of information on the site that might be of use in your job hunt though. There are a number of wikis on the route to clinical psychology, including where to look for jobs and the different types of experience you can get that would be relevant.

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=449

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=341

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=267

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=52

I'm not sure from your post whether your graduate diploma is a conversion course accredited by the BPS - if it isn't you will need to complete a conversion course before you can apply for assistant psychologist posts or any of the doctorate courses.

What type of jobs are you applying for at the moment? It sounds like you have some relevant experience already, although you do not specify what experience of the NHS you have had or the type of work you did with children with ASD. If you can reflect on your experiences and what what you have learnt from them this will really help your applications. If you use the search function at the top of the page, and read the wikis, there is lots of helpful advice on how to structure supporting statements and CVs to maximise your chances of sending in a good application.

You may want to look at the BPS register to see if there are any psychologists in your local area you could ask about volunteering for, and it may also be worth contacting local charities and voluntary organisations to see if they have any job vacancies or volunteering opportunities available or coming up in the near future.

Good luck with your job hunt and let us know how you get on!

Lisa88

Re: Psychology Graduate looking for experience

Post by Lisa88 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:18 pm

Hi Katie,

I volunteer for the mental health charity YoungMinds on their parents' phoneline. I offer advice and support to parents concerned about their child's mental health. You can find more information on their website if you are interested.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Lisa :D