YoungMinds Parents' Helpline volunteer

Advertise posts here (email clinpsyforum@gmail.com to arrange payment, it starts at just £40+vat)
Lisa88

YoungMinds Parents' Helpline volunteer

Post by Lisa88 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:53 pm

http://www.youngminds.org.uk/about/jobs ... _volunteer

This is a really interesting position for anyone wanting further mental health experience.

I've been volunteering since September & really enjoy it.

Feel free to ask me any questions you have.

Lisa

sfancy

Re: YoungMinds Parents' Helpline volunteer

Post by sfancy » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:05 am

Hi,

thanks for posting, it looks interesting. I was just wondering what a typical day of volunteering is like and who you are supervised by?

Lisa88

Post by Lisa88 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:41 am

Before you go on the helpline you are trained in how the system works, how to handle the calls and how to manage difficult calls . A typical day is answering calls from parents and writing up notes after a call when the line is open between 9.30 and 4 (although we usually have a couple of hours off the line to catch up on notes & do a bit of admin stuff). Once the line has closed we have a team debriefing session with a senior member of staff and the other volunteers to discuss any difficult calls or any issues that have come up during the day. We try to keep calls to about 12 mins each & spend about 4 minutes writing up notes after each call (although you are not expected to stick to this model as soon as you have become trained).

Supervision-wise: We are supervised by the senior helpline team. I know that's not comparable to being in an Assistant Psych post or similar & being supervised by a clinical psych but you do learn a lot about a wide variety of mental health issues.

I've found it to be a great way of getting to know more about mental health issues and services as I was working as a teaching assistant previously and wanted to cross over into mental health.

Hope that helps.

sfancy

Post by sfancy » Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:00 pm

That's a great account! Thank you so much!