Research assistant for d.clin.p researh bath/bristol

Advertise posts here (email clinpsyforum@gmail.com to arrange payment, it starts at just £40+vat)
sisterbliss

Research assistant for d.clin.p researh bath/bristol

Post by sisterbliss » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:17 pm

I am a clinical psychoogy trainee on the Bath Doctorate. Who is looking for someone to assist with a main D.Clin.Psy research project, in the south-west area. This would involve assisting with data collection as part of an expermental design, as well as data analysis. It would also involve a degree of patient contact, so is open to people that already have had a valid criminal conviction disclosure within AWP.

This would be good experience for doctoral applications and I will provide references upon request and also once qualified. And if published, I am happy to give credit.

I am also happy to provide advice to the person, (from the perspective of someone that got on four doctoral course at first attempt). Moreover, I am also happy to look through applications.

Please pm for details.

Borrowed Cone

Re: Research assistant for d.clin.p researh bath/bristol

Post by Borrowed Cone » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:38 pm

This may just be me, but I'm feeling really uncomfortable with the idea that you are trying to get someone else to do part of your doctoral research project. Maybe it's the fact that lots of trainees put in a lot of time and effort to collect their own data, and so this is leaving me quite miffed. So it got me wondering whether this is something you've discussed with your supervisor, as they would ultimately become responsible for supervising this person. Tricky one for me as it sounds like you are being rather cheeky, on the face of it. It may be that this is an actual advertised position, by the university, but I can't tell.

The Cone
"We can rebuild him. We have the technology. But I don't want to spend a lot of money..."

enid

Post by enid » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:37 pm

Just a quick point - if you do publish, they would need to have their name on the paper.

It is not completely uncommon in academia - not something I would ever do (My PhD is mine!), but my PhD supervisor did something similar when he did his PhD.

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:23 pm

Actually, I'm not sure of either point.

In any form of work or study you can have assistance with the leg work. If I have someone else hand out and collect in questionnaires for me (and maybe score them up and help with the data entry) so that I can cover more locations, that doesn't change whose research it is or whether you've reached the threshold for it being doctoral research. When I looked into doing a PhD I was definitely told that I could delegate some of the data collection to my team, provided I designed the research and did the analysis and writing up.

Also, if someone contributes to the leg work that does not entitle them to their name being on the publications. An acknowledgement in the thesis is appropriate, and maybe an acknowledgement in the paper, but to be a named author takes a lot more than that!
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

Loula

Post by Loula » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:30 am

Just to add that on my course trainees sometimes have volunteers helping with data collection. It's not that common, but something I spoke about with my supervisor and I know of at least one person in my year who has someone helping. I also know of someone who helped a person in the year above as their projects had similarities and it allowed her to build up relationships with the teams.

I'm less sure on where the course would stand with volunteers helping with data analysis, but I assume the OP has discussed it with their course

enid

Post by enid » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:17 pm

miriam wrote:Actually, I'm not sure of either point.

In any form of work or study you can have assistance with the leg work. If I have someone else hand out and collect in questionnaires for me (and maybe score them up and help with the data entry) so that I can cover more locations, that doesn't change whose research it is or whether you've reached the threshold for it being doctoral research. When I looked into doing a PhD I was definitely told that I could delegate some of the data collection to my team, provided I designed the research and did the analysis and writing up.

Also, if someone contributes to the leg work that does not entitle them to their name being on the publications. An acknowledgement in the thesis is appropriate, and maybe an acknowledgement in the paper, but to be a named author takes a lot more than that!
If you conduct analysis for a research project it is highly likely that you will be a co-author of some sort. No, of course it doesn't entitle you (academia is very blurry in this sense), but it is certainly the norm in the years (and years and years) of research that I have done that if you collect data and analyse the data you could ask to be one of the authors if it is submitted to a journal.

Randall

Post by Randall » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:36 pm

I can provide some testament to some of the points above. I will steer clear of any direct challenge and just state that this is my experience as an employed assistant psychologist, rather than a volunteer specifically recruited to assist with one project; which may unearth other things to consider...

I have helped out one of the trainees with their projects on the doctorate (e.g. inter-rater reliability of transcripts, recruitment, literature searches & inc/exc work) ...I certainly think it helps shape a realistic and grounded view of how research can and often will be conducted in clinical settings (which are not predominantly research orientated).

I would not expect to be named as a contributing author in related publications. I think the typical job description entails 'any other related work deemed fitting' (or alike), so if discussed within supervision and negotiated between colleagues, I see no problem with helping the trainees out. I am of the perspective that to feel entitled to co-authorship would involve significant involvement in every stage; in particular including planning, ethics application, managing, organising, the write up and the submission applications for journals etc.

I have been acknowledged in the submitted work to the university and quite honestly, suspect I would be named in any related publications too...but perhaps this is indicative of the good working relationships formed throughout and the motivation to be as involved as possible and to take the project forward?

Whilst I think the trainee above may have made a reasonable offer for someone wanting to gain some further research experience... As the post stipulates that they 'already have had a valid criminal conviction disclosure within AWP.' So I am presuming AWP is the employment trust with Bath...and so should cover risks, employee rights etc.

sisterbliss

Post by sisterbliss » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:26 pm

Thank you for all your responses. This does seem to be a difficult issue. That being said quite a few people on our course have research assistants, some are those on placement from courses, others have been provided through research supervisors.

As I said I would be happy to give author credit should it be published. And think it would be useful experience, and would have been something I would have been interested in.

alexh

Post by alexh » Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:29 pm

Randall wrote:I am of the perspective that to feel entitled to co-authorship would involve significant involvement in every stage; in particular including planning, ethics application, managing, organising, the write up and the submission applications for journals etc.
I want to address this point as I believe it is incorrect. One can be significantly intellectually involved (the real criterion for authorship) in research without being involved in every stage. If you are involved in EVERY stage you are very likely to be first author or last. I have been author on papers where I was not involved in the planning because I hadn't joined the team yet, but still did a significant amount of work, should I have been left off because I didn't do the ethics application?
Some journals are now requiring an explicit statement of who did what which is great.

I think if you are going to take on an assistant you should be mentoring them in the whole process as their 'reward' especially if unpaid, encouraging their contribution where possible and if they do so it is likely they'll meet criteria to be an author.

However you feel it should be discussed at recruitment to prevent any misunderstanding.

Randall

Post by Randall » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:29 pm

alexh wrote:
Randall wrote:I am of the perspective that to feel entitled to co-authorship would involve significant involvement in every stage; in particular including planning, ethics application, managing, organising, the write up and the submission applications for journals etc.
I want to address this point as I believe it is incorrect. One can be significantly intellectually involved (the real criterion for authorship) in research without being involved in every stage. If you are involved in EVERY stage you are very likely to be first author or last. I have been author on papers where I was not involved in the planning because I hadn't joined the team yet, but still did a significant amount of work, should I have been left off because I didn't do the ethics application?
Some journals are now requiring an explicit statement of who did what which is great.

Perhaps my wording was too strong (i.e. 'significant' involvement and 'every'). You are of course right....I guess I was talking in terms of my development as an assistant and how I feel that fits in the process of conducting and writing up research...and for me so far, I think it has been important for me to have been involved in so many aspects of it.

But yeah, the key point I take from you here is being intellectually involved...which I guess is quite an important part! :lol:

maven
Site Admin

Post by maven » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:16 am

Yeah, I'd see the standard for being a named author as being significantly intellectually involved (normally in designing, analysing or writing up the research) and doing more than just contributing to data collection/entry.
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare

vwalker

Post by vwalker » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:09 am

I will soon begin my second AP job and wanted to share my views on this.

Given that getting a place on the doctorate course is so competitive and also I have heard extremely hard work both in terms of clinical practice and research I am very much of the view, maximise every possible experience and opportunity that comes your way. Following graduation I found it extremely difficult to get any relevant experience at all and would have jumped at an offer like this one. I would also say, it's a win - win situation. As a trainee you are able to co-ordinate your research and delegate some of the administrative tasks whilst assisting someone to learn more about research, improve their data collection and analysis skills as well as offering first hand knowledge of research as a trainee.

I think it's a brilliant opportunity and had this come available at an earlier time for me I would have seen vast value in it.
Great idea!

BenJMan

Post by BenJMan » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:11 pm

alexh wrote:One can be significantly intellectually involved (the real criterion for authorship)
I'm not quite sure that is an official criterion ;)
I think a hero is any person really intent on making this a better place for all people ~ Maya Angelou.

schizometric

Post by schizometric » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:35 pm

I had two volunteers help me to score my data for my thesis. I would not have physically had the time to do it due to participant numbers. Never got questioned on it even. Of course, preferable to do it myself, but not always possible.

Both put in about 15/20 hours each. I will be giving them acknowledgements on the published paper (if it gets that far), bought them thank you gifts, gave advice on CP applications and their (undergrad) research projects. My uni had a system whereby undergrads needed to do a certain amount of voluntary hours however, so was entirely justified, although even if not I would definitely do it again in the position I was in.

It may be different if collecting qualitative data or if only getting data on a few ppts, but I had over 300.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.