Exciting Opportunity for Hon Ass Psy CAMHS

Advertise posts here (email clinpsyforum@gmail.com to arrange payment, it starts at just £40+vat)
Alfie

Exciting Opportunity for Hon Ass Psy CAMHS

Post by Alfie » Tue May 13, 2014 9:31 am

Sussex Partnership NHS Foundation Trust

We are seeking a highly motivated Honorary Assistant Psychologist who is enthusiastic about working with children, young people and their families. The post holder will contribute to the work undertaken with children, young people and their families in CAMHS by contributing to their psychological assessment through in situ observations, psychometric assessments, and the delivery of interventions under close supervision as appropriate. The Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services offer mental health services to children and young people who are experiencing significant emotional and behavioural difficulties. The post is based in Aldershot Centre for Health, Aldershot, Hants. The successful applicant will be working closely under the supervision of a Clinical Psychologist within the team and will receive weekly supervision. A range of exciting opportunities to gain experience in working with the clinical population will be available. Applicants should be studying towards, or have completed, an Honours Degree which confers Graduate Basis of Registration of the British Psychological Society.

The post holder will be expected to assist in clinically related administration, conduct of audits, collection of statistics, development of audit and/or research projects, teaching and project work.

These post are managed and professionally led by the Principal Clinical Psychologist with Sussex Partnership. Professional support and networking is available within the expanding psychology team across the numerous specialty areas and therapeutic approaches, for example, CBT, family therapy, group work, and with a broad range of presenting difficulties such as behavioural problems, learning disabilities, eating disorders, to mention but a few.

Due to the high number of applicants, you are encouraged to respond as soon as possible, as the application date may close earlier if we receive sufficient applications. Interview date is 5th June 2014. Interviewees will be contacted by telephone so please include a day time contact number. There will be an opportunity to meet with our current Honorary Assistant Psychologist.

The post is for a limited period of time from August 2014 to July 2015 applications will be considered for those looking for a commitment of at least three days a week for a minimum period of six months.

For further information please contact Dr Pip Crompton, Clinical Psychologist.

Tel: 01252 335600
Email: pip.crompton@nhs.net
Last edited by miriam on Tue May 13, 2014 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: advert approved by admin

Michelle

Re: Exciting Opportunity for Hon Ass Psy CAMHS

Post by Michelle » Tue May 13, 2014 9:35 pm

The position advertised above is currently the role that I hold at Aldershot CAMHS however I will be leaving in August 2014, hence the need to fill my position. I want to emphasise what an amazing opportunity and learning experience Aldershot CAMHS offer to anyone thinking of applying for this role.

During my time at Aldershot CAMHS I have been able to develop clinically through roles such as contributing to the running of several therapeutic groups, following the pathway for completing Autistic Spectrum Conditions from screening questionnaires to school observations to supporting clinicians in completing ADOS assessments. I also receive high quality, regular supervision from a registered Clinical Psychologist for 1.5 hours per week to facilitate reflection and to safeguard my wellbeing/practice. Furthermore, I have had the opportunity to attend and co-facilitate training days to further my continued professional development. I can't emphasise enough the value of this role, the opportunities available and the skills that can be developed in an such a supportive workplace. Within the Aldershot team there are clinicians from a wide range of disciplines from which invaluable advice, support and experiences can be gleaned. Aldershot CAMHS is based in Aldershot Centre for Health, a relatively new building, making it a highly therapeutic and calming environment to work in too.

If you have any doubts as to taking this role due to the fact it is honorary, I would urge you to look beyond that factor as the experiences that I have gained at Aldershot CAMHS are invaluable! From comparing with peers in similar roles to me, it is clear that the Assistant role established at Aldershot is a cut above the rest, excelling in its ability to build clinical skill, enhance professional and personal development and facilitate a solid understanding of CAMHS/NHS systems and issues at the current time. If I could spend longer as an Assistant Psychologist at Aldershot CAMHS I would as the opportunities it can provide are infinite. I sincerely hope that this amazing opportunity does not go to waste as, with increasing competition for AP posts and applicants for the Clinical Doctorate, a post like this could make the difference between success and failure.

Alfie

Post by Alfie » Thu May 15, 2014 5:21 pm

Thank you to those who have applied for the above position. Could we please ask that any application include the commitment you can make to us in terms of days per week and duration of Internship required. Wanted to add that we are able to reimburse travel expenses upto £40 per day.

We are looking forward to receiving applications.

secret squirrel

Post by secret squirrel » Thu May 15, 2014 8:50 pm

this is unlawful, see: https://www.gov.uk/employment-rights-for-interns

Employment rights and pay for interns
An intern’s rights depend on their employment status. If an intern is classed as a worker, then they’re normally due the National Minimum Wage.
Internships are sometimes called work placements or work experience. These terms have no legal status on their own.
The rights they have depend on their employment status and whether they’re classed as:

a worker
a volunteer
an employee
If an intern does regular paid work for an employer, they may qualify as an employee and be eligible for employment rights.

Rights to the National Minimum Wage
An intern is entitled to the National Minimum Wage if they count as a worker.

Employers can’t avoid paying the National Minimum Wage if it’s due by:

saying or stating that it doesn’t apply
making a written agreement saying someone isn’t a worker or that they’re a volunteer

Promise of future work

An intern is classed as a worker and is due the National Minimum Wage if they’re promised a contract of future work.

When interns aren’t due the National Minimum Wage
Student internships

Students required to do an internship for less than 1 year as part of a UK-based further or higher education course aren’t entitled to the National Minimum Wage.

School work experience placements

Work experience students of compulsory school age, ie under 16, aren’t entitled to the minimum wage.

Voluntary workers

Workers aren’t entitled to the minimum wage if both of the following apply:

they’re working for a charity, voluntary organisation, associated fund raising body or a statutory body
they don’t get paid, except for limited benefits (eg reasonable travel or lunch expenses)
Work shadowing

The employer doesn’t have to pay the minimum wage if an internship only involves shadowing an employee, ie no work is carried out by the intern and they are only observing.

Make a complaint
Contact the Pay and Work Rights Helpline to make a complaint or get further advice.

Pay and Work Rights Helpline
Telephone: 0800 917 2368

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Thu May 15, 2014 11:56 pm

secret squirrel wrote: Workers aren’t entitled to the minimum wage if both of the following apply:

they’re working for a charity, voluntary organisation, associated fund raising body or a statutory body
they don’t get paid, except for limited benefits (eg reasonable travel or lunch expenses)
Work shadowing
I don't mean to be picky, but as I understand it NHS trusts ARE a statutory body in the meaning of this legislation.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

secret squirrel

Post by secret squirrel » Fri May 16, 2014 7:32 pm

Sadly, a little digging suggests this is true.

Here is a helpful list of why unpaid internships (or "honorary posts") are bad news for everyone:
Ethical issues raised by unpaid internships
Equity
Unpaid internships effectively are barriers to graduates who are unable to
access funding from parents or from other sources. The end result is that
despite improved access at undergraduate level, professions using unpaid
internships remain dominated by the wealthy ‘white’ middle classes. This has
been highlighted in areas such a political internships [in all of the major
parties], the legal profession and in journalism but applies to all industries
which ‘grow’ their workforce using a system of unpaid internships.

Wages
Unpaid internships undermine the link between work and pay, which is a key
principle of social justice. The aim of all trade unions and the wider labour
movement is to achieve fair employment practices. One of which is that a
worker should be paid the going rate for the job they are doing.

Substitution of paid labour for unpaid internships
Where internships are used to replace permanent or even temporary roles
which are paid the practice becomes damaging to the profession and to the
individuals attempting to build a career in that profession.
from: http://www.csp.org.uk/publications/ip-6 ... are-issues

HumourMe

Post by HumourMe » Sat May 17, 2014 9:38 am

Hear Hear secret squirrel!!