Graduate Psychologist recruitment question

Advertise posts here (email clinpsyforum@gmail.com to arrange payment, it starts at just £40+vat)
miriam
Site Admin

Graduate Psychologist recruitment question

Post by miriam » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:34 pm

I'm meeting with Keys Childcare at the moment, and talking about how they could use psychology graduates in their workforce and whether they might want to advertise on the forum. They regularly recruit residential care staff to work in their children's homes but had not thought to target a psychology graduate audience particularly. So I am just wanting some quick immediate answers about whether working in a children's home would be something you would consider, and what might make the role more appealing. For example, we are talking about having regular monitoring of behaviour and emotional wellbeing, along with monthly formulation meetings which would involve a CP (me). Would having a role in that make the job more appealing?
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

Gilly

Re: Graduate Psychologist recruitment question

Post by Gilly » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:48 pm

just quickly off the top of my head, I think that having the opportunity to do something "psychological" in a support worker position (where often you are getting great hands on work with patients but not nescessarily getting anything substantially psychological) would be a great idea, espescially in developing formulation skills.

Also giving support staff skills in psychological thinking is always awesome!
You're not calling for help, are you?! ;)

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity" - Abraham Lincoln.

Necnill

Post by Necnill » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:49 pm

I would be happy to consider working in a children's home. I would want to make sure before accepting any position though that I'd either be given proper training in more sensitive areas, like how to handle issues as a result of sexual/physical abuse, before being thrown into the position. I've heard from a few colleagues that this can be an issue.

In short, being assured there is a good training/mentor system in place early on would make me very likely to apply.

Mudisco

Post by Mudisco » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:42 pm

I love working with children so that will be great. I hope it is not too late. Can you give me more information?

maven
Site Admin

Post by maven » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:53 pm

There is a job advert on the forum now mudisco.
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare