Training during COVID

Discuss the content and style of the different clinical psychology doctoral training courses, the differences between them, placements, teaching, chat to other trainees and connect with other people who have places on the same course
lozzyhickers

Training during COVID

Post by lozzyhickers » Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:42 pm

Hello,

I wasn't sure where else to put this really. I,like many others on this site, will be starting training this Autumn. Again, like many, my course will be delivered in a blended way, with only key clinical skills workshops being delivered in person. Whilst I've been used to working from home over the past months, the idea of starting my training remotely brings up mixed feelings. Do any current trainees have any advice on how to best make the most of the course while working remotely? And tips you can pass down? Any suggestions on how to ensure our cohort develops our relationship despite the distance from each other and limited face-to-face?

Many thanks in advance.

Randomswirls
Team Member

Re: Training during COVID

Post by Randomswirls » Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:13 am

Hello there is a webinar coming up from the bps on this https://www.bps.org.uk/events/starting- ... id-covid19

lozzyhickers

Post by lozzyhickers » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:09 am

Randomswirls wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:13 am
Hello there is a webinar coming up from the bps on this https://www.bps.org.uk/events/starting- ... id-covid19
Thank you for this, I hadn't noticed that training session before. I have signed up. Any further tips before then would be very welcome!

malcolmclayton

Post by malcolmclayton » Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:25 pm

Hi

I'm at the end of my second year at Cov&Warwick and we have had remote teaching and placements since March. Although it hasn't been easy, and I'm sure it's nobody's prefered approach, it's possible to continue to learn and develop. With teaching, it's really about how the facilitator approaches things. Each person we have had has had their own approach. Some teach as if it was face to face, whilst others deliver some teaching, then break, then go in to discussions, then show videos. I would say you will need to think about whether doing some pre or post teaching reading is going to be helpful for you to be able to get the most out of the contact you have with the teaching staff.

With placements, again it's been a mixed bag for my cohort. Some placements are easier to work remotely, i.e. where there's more systemic/consultation work. Trying to get to know the wider team is tricky but possible, you just have to be more confident to approach people and ask to have online meetings with them. For some activities it's easier. So, meetings can be attended remotely that you may not have been able to travel to and some patients/clients prefer telephone or video work.

In terms if cohorts I have been lucky. We had a good first year, and started the second year with face to face teaching. We've kept up our own WhatsApp group chat and meet online with the course staff fortnightly. Since lockdown measures have been relaxed there have been some outside meet ups which have been great.

So a bit of a mixed bag really. I think what's been interesting is that initially I felt we were really missing out on placement opportunities, and that this wasn't 'fair'. However, all the psychologists on the team I was in were also working remotely. The more I thought about it the more I felt that I was gaining an insight into their experience of Covid-19 working, and gaining some new IT skills.

I wouldn't choose it as an approach, but it hasn't been a disaster either and there have even been some benefits. When recruiting and interviewing for my thesis, I was able to interview people from all over England from the comfort and convenience of my house! Saying that, it's important to try to have a separation (practically and mentally) between work and home.

Hope this helps and good luck starting the course.

Malcolm

lozzyhickers

Post by lozzyhickers » Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:18 am

malcolmclayton wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:25 pm
Hope this helps and good luck starting the course.
Thank you Malcom for chipping in with your thoughts and experiences. We got our timetable yesterday, which has certainly helped to ramp up the excitement, and we've arranged to meet face-to-face after our first day since we're on campus.

Your post raises some interesting points, and good ideas, so thank you! Hope your final year goes well!

buenosaires

Post by buenosaires » Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:08 pm

lozzyhickers wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:42 pm
Hello,

I wasn't sure where else to put this really. I,like many others on this site, will be starting training this Autumn. Again, like many, my course will be delivered in a blended way, with only key clinical skills workshops being delivered in person. Whilst I've been used to working from home over the past months, the idea of starting my training remotely brings up mixed feelings. Do any current trainees have any advice on how to best make the most of the course while working remotely? And tips you can pass down? Any suggestions on how to ensure our cohort develops our relationship despite the distance from each other and limited face-to-face?

Many thanks in advance.
Just to add my two cents in as well...

I've just done my last 6 months remotely and I can say that it was on par, if not more enjoyable, than the placement I had under usual conditions. Obviously some placements will be more equipped to manage the remote working conditions, but it is certainly very possible to learn a lot and build really brilliant relationships with clients.

I think it's also a real positive that by the time you go into placement, services will have had a good 6 months to adjust and are probably in a better place to take on a trainee and offer increasingly more sophisticated online opportunities. I think most of my year group's placement got increasingly better and more involved as it went on, as people knew what they were up against.

Best of luck in your start with training - get that group whatsapp going with your year group and before you know it you'll all be chatting away like old time pals!
Talking applications, trainee LYF and beyond on: https://www.youtube.com/c/theworrypeople