Exeter and Conversion Courses

Discuss the content and style of the different clinical psychology doctoral training courses, the differences between them, placements, teaching, chat to other trainees and connect with other people who have places on the same course
jazzydwi

Exeter and Conversion Courses

Post by jazzydwi »

This is possibly a slightly mistimed post as everyone's embroiled in places and reserve lists rather than applications, but I'm hoping someone can help me out with this one.

Does anyone know how Exeter judges conversion courses?
They are not mentioned anywhere I can find on Clearing House or Exeter's website. I'm trying to establish if they are viewed in place of the unrelated UG or the UG mark is taken into account as I know this varies course to course. I've also tried searching this site, applicant FB groups, twitter! I've emailed them too, but understandably due to the time of year it's probably a low priority query.

I can see from past Alternative Handbooks that people with conversions are successful in gaining a place, but can't glean anything further.
Any gems of insight much appreciated.

(Apologies if this might be best suited to another area of the site, I was torn between this section and the application process area)
jazzydwi

Re: Exeter and Conversion Courses

Post by jazzydwi »

As an update to this, I'm still not really any wiser about Exeter, but it's prompted me to make a spreadsheet of how the various courses weight conversions during selection. It will probably need updating come Sept, but if anyone wants to have a look or can add anything just let me know.
It's a rough-copy onedrive file here
Hoping it can help fellow converters make a more informed decision, and save you a bit of work too.
Simone91

Post by Simone91 »

I'm not sure if this helps at all, but I came through the conversion route (2:1 English Lit, Merit in conversion diploma) and I had an interview with Exeter last year (unsuccessful) but didn't get one this year, but I guess it shows they do accept it. They have been using the tests too, so I'm not sure how much that weighs into it!
jazzydwi

Post by jazzydwi »

Simone91 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:54 am I'm not sure if this helps at all, but I came through the conversion route (2:1 English Lit, Merit in conversion diploma) and I had an interview with Exeter last year (unsuccessful) but didn't get one this year, but I guess it shows they do accept it. They have been using the tests too, so I'm not sure how much that weighs into it!
That's actually fantastically helpful to me (as someone who has a 2:1 in EngLit followed by a conversion), thank you!
Tripletail52

Post by Tripletail52 »

jazzydwi wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:14 pm As an update to this, I'm still not really any wiser about Exeter, but it's prompted me to make a spreadsheet of how the various courses weight conversions during selection. It will probably need updating come Sept, but if anyone wants to have a look or can add anything just let me know.
Hoping it can help fellow converters make a more informed decision, and save you a bit of work too.
I don't have the information you are looking for, but thanks a lot for making and sharing the spreadsheet! I'm attaching the actual address because I couldn't access it by clicking the hyperlink.

https://1drv.ms/x/s!As5GE6tpZuZfgYhcWHB ... Q?e=fcoDDB
jazzydwi

Post by jazzydwi »

Tripletail52 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:22 am
jazzydwi wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:14 pm As an update to this, I'm still not really any wiser about Exeter, but it's prompted me to make a spreadsheet of how the various courses weight conversions during selection. It will probably need updating come Sept, but if anyone wants to have a look or can add anything just let me know.
I don't have the information you are looking for, but thanks a lot for making and sharing the spreadsheet! I'm attaching the actual address because I couldn't access it by clicking the hyperlink.

https://1drv.ms/x/s!As5GE6tpZuZfgYhcWHB ... Q?e=fcoDDB
Thanks so much, didn't even realise it wasn't working.
jazzydwi

Post by jazzydwi »

I updated the spreadsheet today for 2022 entry. Feedback on any errors welcomed!
jazzydwi

Post by jazzydwi »

Exeter views your conversion mark in place of your non-psych undergraduate mark.
Source: Course Director Prof Ken Laidlaw in today's Open Event.