bristol (now bath) course

Discuss the content and style of the different clinical psychology doctoral training courses, the differences between them, placements, teaching, chat to other trainees and connect with other people who have places on the same course
hermione87

bristol (now bath) course

Post by hermione87 » Tue May 01, 2012 3:34 pm

I've looked around to try and find the answer and wonder if anyone could enlighten me about why the bristol course went away and then was replaced with bath a few years later?

eponymous85

Re: bristol (now bath) course

Post by eponymous85 » Tue May 01, 2012 4:45 pm

This thread from the year it closed is very helpful
The mind is not a book, to be opened at will and examined at leisure. Thoughts are not etched on the inside of skulls, to be perused by any invader. The mind is a complex and many layered thing.

eponymous85

Post by eponymous85 » Tue May 01, 2012 4:55 pm

also see here and here for the course starting up again
The mind is not a book, to be opened at will and examined at leisure. Thoughts are not etched on the inside of skulls, to be perused by any invader. The mind is a complex and many layered thing.

fledgling

Post by fledgling » Wed May 02, 2012 2:11 pm

From what I've gathered (though someone more in-the-know correct me if I'm wrong...), the Bristol course was actually a sort of 'outpost' of the Plymouth course, and the problems occured when they tried to transfer the Bristol training places from being part of the University of Plymouth to the University of Bath in the space of one cohort. They couldn't get the arrangements in place in time and lost accreditation.

I'm guessing what hermione might be wanting to know is whether people think there's any risk the Bath course might go the same way as Bristol...? (I'd also be very interested in any thoughts on this!). I think it's reassuring that the Bath course as it currently stands did not rise straight out of the Bristol ashes, but was planned over a few more years before taking applicants.

Borrowed Cone

Post by Borrowed Cone » Wed May 02, 2012 3:06 pm

flora84 wrote: I'm guessing what hermione might be wanting to know is whether people think there's any risk the Bath course might go the same way as Bristol...? (I'd also be very interested in any thoughts on this!).
The Cone is pondering what one would do with the information that any particular course might encounter similar problems at some point in the future?
"We can rebuild him. We have the technology. But I don't want to spend a lot of money..."

fledgling

Post by fledgling » Wed May 02, 2012 8:42 pm

Well, clearly I would intend to make life-altering decisions on the basis of others' opinions of a hypothetical situation, Cone. That kind of smart thinking has got me where I am today :roll: !

I merely thought it would be interesting to hear some views on this (especially from anyone who knows more about what happened to the Bristol course and how Bath has been set up since then). As Bath is a very new course, and there were serious problems with training in the region in recent years, I think this is a reasonable topic for discussion. As I said previously, the impression I get is that the Bath course has been well thought through since the problems with the Bristol transfer, so it is not something that overly concerns me (otherwise I wouldn't have applied!).

oncourse

Post by oncourse » Wed May 02, 2012 10:15 pm

Bath has full accreditation from HPC, BPS and now BABCP, with funding in place for cohorts for four more years, a course team in place etc etc. No need to worry, lots of things to be positive about particularly the "from the ground up" design

PostPos

Post by PostPos » Tue May 08, 2012 6:43 pm

Hello!

I'm on the Bath course and echo the comments above that its content and structure have been well thought through. It is my understanding that funding has been secured for future years. As the first first years, we are all really looking forward to meeting the new cohort in October!

:D

fledgling

Post by fledgling » Tue May 08, 2012 8:42 pm

Thanks PostPos- I'll be seeing you then :wink: . Can't wait!