Bath 2012 cohort

Discuss the content and style of the different clinical psychology doctoral training courses, the differences between them, placements, teaching, chat to other trainees and connect with other people who have places on the same course
fledgling

Bath 2012 cohort

Post by fledgling » Thu May 10, 2012 9:52 am

So, I've accepted a place at Bath! :D

I'm hoping there might be a few other members of the cohort on here? It would be great to arrange a meet up or something before the course starts (October seems aaages away :shock: ).

Also, I'm going to be relocating, so if there's anyone who might want to look at a houseshare, let me know! Or if there's anyone generally who has recommendations on areas around Bath that are nice but not too pricey, I'd be very grateful.

Flora

Rose123

Re: Bath 2012 cohort

Post by Rose123 » Thu May 24, 2012 2:40 pm

Looks like it's just me and you then Flora!! Xx

fledgling

Post by fledgling » Thu May 24, 2012 3:42 pm

Looking that way isn't it? Maybe they couldn't find enough people with flower-related names?!

Will be a great staff:trainee ratio :wink:

joey25

Post by joey25 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:02 pm

Hiya both!

I will be joining you also! so that's three. We should get in touch. Have you sorted out what you are doing about living/accommodation?

fledgling

Post by fledgling » Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:37 pm

Yay, another person! Hi Joey :) .

Look forward to meeting you. No I haven't made any plans about moving yet- where are you relocating from?

joey25

Post by joey25 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:15 pm

Hiya,

I am relocating from Reading. I am thinking of living on the outskirts of Bristol so that I can easily access Bristol and Bath. The rent should be relatively well priced also. How about you?

slambe

Post by slambe » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:49 pm

Hi all,

I officially accepted my place at Bath yesterday, very exciting. I'm going to be moving over from Dublin. I was thinking of living in Bristol as well, rent seems pretty reasonable. I was thinking of trying to get somewhere close to the city center, though I don't really know Bristol that well. But if anyone is interested in a house share or something send me a PM.

Also might be nice to get together in September, I'm sure I'll be over trying to sort myself out and find somewhere to live.

Enjoy the summer, a well earned break =)
Keep in touch,
Sinead

fledgling

Post by fledgling » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:52 pm

Hi all,

Re: Bristol, I did my undergrad there so know it pretty well. It's a great city, quite diverse and eclectic in places and lots going on. Here's a quick low-down on areas:

Generally considered the nicest areas are to the North West and the area around Whiteladies road e.g. Clifton, Redland- lots of nice shops, pubs, restaurants. parks etc and lovely Georgian properties. This is where all the more well-to-do students live. However it is probably as pricey as Bath and would be difficult travel-wise as it's the opposite end of town from the train station and road links towards Bath. Slightly further East are Cotham and St Andrews and the area around Gloucester road- this is quite a trendy area, lots of independent shops, etc- less pricey but very studenty (where I used to live!).

The city centre has been regenerated a lot around the waterfront and Cabots Circus (main shopping centre). It looks very nice and there a quite a few new apartment buildings- I imagine parking and traffic would be a bit of a nightmare though. Areas to the East of the city centre are best avoided (St Paul's, Easton) as have a bad reputation for drugs and crime- it's worth a stroll up Stokes Croft to do some Banksy-spotting, but only in daylight!

I know less about South of the river, it's generally considered less up-market than the North, but there are some 'up and coming' areas (e.g Southville, Bedminster, Totterdown) which are not too far from the city centre and could be worth exploring. I think it's becoming more of a young professional area as people are being priced out of the North side.

Hope that helps a bit! I'd be up for looking at househares in the South of Bristol, or somewhere more rural between Bath and Bristol, or Bath itself.

TuttiFrutti

Post by TuttiFrutti » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:48 pm

Sorry to hijack this thread but I have a quetion for any current or about to start Bath trainees- Congratulations by the way :D

I am currently considering Bath as one of my options for this years applications, however with an B,C,E at A-Level, a 2:1 and a Masters, I am not sure my application would secure enough academic scoring points to even get me through to panel selection.

Bath will not let current applicants know the cut off for last year :(.... so to help me make an informed decision about whether or not to apply to Bath, I wonder whether people accepted on the course would be kind enough to post their academic credentials to help me decide?

Many Thanks

fledgling

Post by fledgling » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:28 pm

Hi TuttiFrutti, I've sent you a pm.

midas

Post by midas » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:50 am

I have the same concerns if anyone wants to provide any information my way!

anakinskywalker

Post by anakinskywalker » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:46 am

Me too! Its really difficult to assess how many people reach the academic cut off and if an application to bath will be a good use of a course application or not.