Technology/Apps etc whilst training

Discuss the content and style of the different clinical psychology doctoral training courses, the differences between them, placements, teaching, chat to other trainees and connect with other people who have places on the same course
salsagirl

Technology/Apps etc whilst training

Post by salsagirl » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:16 pm

Hey, I'm looking for some advice from some current trainees who have found inventive ways to incorporate technology into their studies. Is there an essential app I should get? Is there anything good for filing articles or making notes?

Thanks in advance.

secret squirrel

Re: Technology/Apps etc whilst training

Post by secret squirrel » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:43 am

Reference manager/endnote is a must. PDF editor on an ipad is really useful for editing your notes during lectures.

Will
Team Member

Post by Will » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:36 pm

If you have a mac, Papers2 is ace. It's basically like iTunes for journals and ebooks, and it doubles up as a really neatly designed reference manager (it replaced endnote for me!). You can also sync it wirelessly with your iPhone/iPad. It's ace.

Evernote is also great for noting down ideas, making lists, remembering websites etc. Again it syncs really nicely with laptop and smartphone.
Ponderings and wonderings in 140 characters - @willcurvis

helmel16

Post by helmel16 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:38 pm

If you're a bit of a neuro geek, 3D brain is a great little app on the windows phone!

Loula

Post by Loula » Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:59 pm

Endnote is great. I would also recommend getting used to using Word's formatting for things like headings, subheadings, table/appendix numbers etc as it makes things like case reports much easier when you suddenly realised you should have had an extra appendix! It sorts all the numbering out for you and can make contents lists very easily.

If you are planning on doing qualitative analysis than NVivo is worth using to manage all of your data.

I also use Touchdown to sync my uni (outlook) emails onto my phone as some of the trusts where I was on placements didn't allow access to uni emails.

katz

Post by katz » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:26 pm

Notability is a fantastic free note taking app. I have been using it all the way through training to take notes. It syncs with Dropbox so they are all neatly filed away.

katz

Post by katz » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:27 pm

Ooo and the PAR app is brilliant for calculating ages when scoring tests.

agataa

Post by agataa » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:47 am

I haven't used Endnote, so don't know how it compares to it, but I can highly recommend Mendeley which is free(!) bibliography refrence programme and you can sync it online and access all your pdfs by logging in via the website. :)

salsagirl

Post by salsagirl » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:55 pm

Fab! Thanks everyone. Overwhelming but helpful. I shall take a look at some of these. Things have definitely moved on since I did my undergrad! :? :wink:

Randall

Post by Randall » Tue May 13, 2014 2:44 pm

I thought that I might bump this topic, as it is the sort of thing I have been considering... (First on the agenda is to actually buy a laptop, mind!)

I was looking at EndNote, as I am writing up a journal article before training too. It is costly and someone mentioned 'Mendeley' above. How does it compare? Obviously free is a good price, so I may try that first...but I don't have too much time to dive into both of them to a significant degree, so if someone already has done so, it would be handy to hear your experiences! :idea:

pinkaliengoo

Post by pinkaliengoo » Tue May 13, 2014 3:06 pm

Randall wrote:I thought that I might bump this topic, as it is the sort of thing I have been considering... (First on the agenda is to actually buy a laptop, mind!)

I was looking at EndNote, as I am writing up a journal article before training too. It is costly and someone mentioned 'Mendeley' above. How does it compare? Obviously free is a good price, so I may try that first...but I don't have too much time to dive into both of them to a significant degree, so if someone already has done so, it would be handy to hear your experiences! :idea:
I had a bit of a nightmare using Endnote when writing papers because I couldn't figure out an easy way of properly formatting websites in manuscripts I was writing so I gave up on it and went back to refman. My colleague used Menderley though and it did look MUCH more user friendly/sophisticated. I like how you can sort all your pdf's into different groups and access them straight from the programme itself, rather than storing them seperately (like with refman). The only thing that put me off using menderley was that my supervisor and manager use refman, so it meant that I was 100% responsible for editing the references in manuscripts. That said, there might be someway of interchanging between reference systems that I'm totally unaware of!

fledgling

Post by fledgling » Tue May 13, 2014 8:45 pm

I'd probably hold off purchasing any referencing software before you start training. Some courses might have recommended software they suggest/require you to use (my course permits nothing but EndNote referencing for submitted work!). You can also often get software free or heavily discounted through your University computer service.

sarahg

Post by sarahg » Tue May 13, 2014 9:29 pm

I came across this software today when browsing PhD blogs (hello procrastination): Scrivener.
http://www.literatureandlatte.com/scrivener.php

I wonder if anybody on here had heard of it, or used it? It's been recommended on quite a few PhD blogs.

srlb2

Post by srlb2 » Tue May 13, 2014 9:53 pm

Sarah - I've heard of Scrivener before and it seems to come highly recommended! I'd be interested to hear people's thoughts as I've been trying with trying it for a while too

Loula

Post by Loula » Wed May 14, 2014 10:13 am

I'd also recommend holding off buying software- all our computers at uni have Endnote on them, and there is a discounted student price (which I think is valid on upto 3 PCs so could be worth sharing with another trainee?). Also I found I didn't have any written work to be submitted until the March of 1st year so wouldn't have used any of the software for the first 6 months of the course.