Salomons 2014 intake

Discuss the content and style of the different clinical psychology doctoral training courses, the differences between them, placements, teaching, chat to other trainees and connect with other people who have places on the same course
Alanna

Salomons 2014 intake

Post by Alanna » Mon May 12, 2014 9:46 am

Hi All,

I am really excited about commencing at Salomons on 29th Sept! In my over-excitement, I did not write down the all-important dates that we were told about (like many people, I ran up and down my hallway a few times and laughed maniacally down the phone). Can any of you recall the dates? I have a feeling that one of them was 3rd July, but can't remember what for. Do you know when we'll get sent out formal invites? I feel like it's not real 'til that happens!

I was interviewed on the Tuesday morning. Lots of really nice people there.

Looking forward to meeting you all :D

charis

Re: Salomons 2014 intake

Post by charis » Mon May 12, 2014 11:23 am

Hi Alanna,

I emailed them today because I was starting to panic that maybe I had dreamt my phone call after not having receieved a letter yet and clearing house not having updated yet. They said that they are sending out the letters and updating clearing house today, so we should get it formalised and more info soon! :D

I interviewed on Monday afternoon, lots of nice people there too!

Looking forward to meeting everyone, it would be good if we could find people here before we start! :) x

Alanna

Post by Alanna » Mon May 12, 2014 12:15 pm

Excellent news! Thanks for sharing the info. It'd be really handy to link in with people before the course - I'm already thinking about carshares and the like. Hopefully others will clock this thread and we can start getting to know each other.

AnonymousMouse

Post by AnonymousMouse » Mon May 12, 2014 1:54 pm

I'm glad it's not just me that's been thinking that I imagined the phone call now!

I think July 3rd is like a pre- training meetin day thingy where we get to meet the cohort and stuff. It's not compulsory but it's recommended! I was a Wednesday afternoon interviewee - not sure if anyone else was on the same day? I'll be commuting from London so a car share would be great!

Alanna

Post by Alanna » Wed May 14, 2014 1:19 pm

Yes, I was thinking I'd leave my travel plans until after the 3rd July.

I'll be commuting from London too (Peckham, to be precise). I have not yet got a car, but would chip in if anyone's driving! Got to click "accept" on the Clearing House yesterday - that was a nice feeling.

charis

Post by charis » Wed May 14, 2014 2:29 pm

Yes, it was such a good feeling to be able to accept the place at last!!

I'll be driving down from south london, not quite sure where yet, but potentially around Clapham, Balham, car sharing sounds ace! 8)

Feels like a LONG wait until we start....

AnonymousMouse

Post by AnonymousMouse » Wed May 14, 2014 2:44 pm

Yeah, I agree - bable to actually see that I had an offer and wasn't experiencing stress-induced psychosis was lovely, and then being able to actually ACCEPT the offer was even more amazing haha! I think we should be getting more formal letters today or tomorrow as well?

I think initially I'll be living in North West London, but I will be looking to move to East or South London as soon as possible.

samantha86

Post by samantha86 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:50 pm

HI there,
I'm thinking of applying for the 2015 intake at Salomans. I'm open to all models, but would love a course with a decent amount of emphasis on psychodynamic practice. Can anybody offer atheir opinions on the Salomans course so far? Maybe a few tips on how to shine, or what they look for if possible! Thank you for any help given!!! :)

moony

Post by moony » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:19 pm

As someone who's looking to apply this year too I wanted to ask your experiences of commuting from london.

I'm currently in NW London and car-less which I imagine is a bit of a barrier. How have those of you who've been car-sharing etc found it, and is it even remotely possible to attend placements without a car?

Thanks!
"The brain is a monstrous, beautiful mess." ~ W. Allman Apprentices of Wonder: Inside the Neural Network Revolution

Alanna

Post by Alanna » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:34 pm

Hi,
Apologies that I am only getting back to you now. I hope that your application-writing is going well.

Car/travel:I have ended up not getting a car for the time being: I was fortunate that a classmate was able to provide a lift-share (I chip in petrol money and semi-functional navigation skills) to Salomons (and Salomons runs a bus from the train station in Tonbridge): however, I have also been able to make use of the train. On the mornings I get a train, I leave the house at about 08:00; on lift-share days, I leave at 08:15. The first five weeks required the most trips to Salomons. Thereafter, it’s one or two days a week. I have been fortunate that I do not need a car for placement, but I discussed this with my supervisor before commencing, and had maintained the possibility that I would need to get a car, and may well need to in the future. A few people travel from parts of north London.

The course:The course in Salomons is very different to how I imagined it would be: there is a lot of reflecting and sharing of personal/professional experience and knowledge. They emphasise that it is an adult learning environment – self-directed learning is a big part of it, with minimal didactic teaching. I actually really value this approach, and I imagine that this is because it suits my learning style. Mine is just one opinion, and I’m sure my classmates have a variety of opinions and impressions of what it is like! Please feel free to send me a PM if you have further questions.
:cyclops: